Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting rabbits used to other animals...

2 posters

Go down

Getting rabbits used to other animals... Empty Getting rabbits used to other animals...

Post by LilyGrace Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:56 am

Is there any way of doing this? Basically, the Cat charity I volunteer for, we are having to sell the house the sanctuary is in No and they are going to want to do it this side of Christmas as we can't have another winter with no one living there. Unfortunately this means rehoming all of the cats there in two weeks...my mum has agreed I can take one. The only problem I have is, Luna is fine with cats, but Thistle seems a bit scared of them. We already have one, is there any way of I can get him to become used to them? I could bring our current cat up to my bedroom for a bit each day, do you think that would help? Because if we adopt one of the cats, it will be based outside my bedroom so that it has it's own space away from my mums cat and the dogs. I wouldn't want to stress out the rabbits though or not put them first. Any suggestions would be really helpful! Thanks Smile
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Getting rabbits used to other animals... Empty Re: Getting rabbits used to other animals...

Post by Velvet.Tears Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:21 am

I brought my cats up around rabbits Rudy is a bit frightened of them but he is slowly getting more confident. Just let the run around with the cat and they will gradually get used to each other.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Getting rabbits used to other animals... Empty Re: Getting rabbits used to other animals...

Post by LilyGrace Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks Lorna! When we first got Luna our cat used to be up in my bedroom all the time, but then she got diabetes and now mostly lives in the conservatory...so I guess that's why Luna is fine with them. Thistles quite nervy around her. I'll give it a go. I'm so upset about the cat sanctuary Sad...it's gonna be horrible not going there every monday.,
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:31 pm

It is a real shame if I had a bigger place or not had 5 already I would have probably taken a couple on.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Awwh yeah. I wish I could take more. We are still running the charity, but just doing the lost and found register and a fostering network. It's going to be so hard to pick a cat, I'd like to take on an older one but I'm not sure how well they will fair with the dogs :/. I'll have to talk to some of the other volunteers about it and see what they think!
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:36 pm

Is there a chance you could take the dog with you and see what she's like with a few of the cats that you like?
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:42 pm

Well, we have two dogs! And one is our Alsation, who chases cats...but not our cat..just other cats lol. So I couldn't take her there! And our yorkie just wants to play with them Smile. It's whether like the cats are nervey or not, I know the ones who are very cautious...and I know Leo defo hates dogs (when he was rehomed he came back to use because he attacked the dog Laughing). And I like all the cats Sad..especially the oldies! They are like family I visit every week.
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:44 pm

I think it might be worth taking an older because they are difficult to rehome. My cats are too energetic to take an oldie on.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:45 pm

Yeah Smile...I'd love too, it would be my first choice but I wouldn't want to put them in a home unsuitable for them i.e the dogs! And we are doing supported adoptions, so if someone adopts one of the old cats...all the vet fees are paid for Thumbs Up
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down