Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lost my bond with willow and Felix :(

+2
KatieB
Felix&Willow
6 posters

Go down

Lost my bond with willow and Felix :( Empty Lost my bond with willow and Felix :(

Post by Felix&Willow Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:20 am

Those of you that have been on here a long time will know that I have had Willow and Felix since they were 3 weeks old, and that they were house bunnies untill they were about 5 months. I then came across Rory who was in a bad way - took him in, though this stressed Willow out having him in the house so I decided it was best for Willow and Felix to spend all their time in their outdoor hutch and run combo as they had each other to play with and were fit and strong, where as Rory needed more TLC.

Well as time has gone on Willow and Felix have had alot less handling, and although they are well cared for, they don't really interact with us. They have always been much more difficult to handle than Rory, as they dont like to be picked up and now don't really like to even be stroked. This makes grooming and bum checking hard. Part of the problem is the fact they have got less accustomed to us, part of it is they are just less human living than Rory.

I had such a good relationship with them when they were little, now I don't feel like we have much if a relationship at all Crying or Very sad
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Lost my bond with willow and Felix :( Empty Re: Lost my bond with willow and Felix :(

Post by KatieB Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:27 am

They still love you hun im sure, they have just grown into independent ladybuns.

Their lives are not any less wonderful being outside, they are just different and they are happy Im sure of it. x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Lost my bond with willow and Felix :( Empty Re: Lost my bond with willow and Felix :(

Post by lizzi_b Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:39 am

aww bless you, i can see why this would be so upsetting! Maybe you just need to try building the relationship back up again by spending more time with them and going back to basics!! Are you not able to bond all three of them together and have them all indoors again?
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:46 am

I initially hoped to bond all 3, but Rory is a delicate little soul and the girls are manic and boisterous - they scare the hell out of him! Lol! If I were to bond Rory with another bunny then I would go for a very gentle or maybe even a disabled bun. These two just don't like to be handled and I find that hard as when they were babies they were more compliant (as kits are) and I feel guilty for getting Rory and upsetting everything- though the reality is I think they would have got too boisterous to have indoors anyway- Willow especially is a terror! It's not because they have been handled badly or anything like that as all visitors had the fear of god put into them not to touch my bunnies lol! My daughter has a special love for Felix as she is her bunny, and Willow is mine - I think I have to accept that they don't want to be touched by us and just make grooming a quick task and not feel so guilty that they are outside Sad
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:05 am

I feel your frustration. I have had Flo since very young and she has never been a social bun when it comes to humans. She has always objected to being handled. She does get handled a few times a week but she does not enjoy it. I have recently been inspired by Anne's lifting video with Stewie to go back to basics and try to encourage her to be more friendly but she is a bright bun and is not so motivated by food that she can be tempted to do something she is not sure of. So she will come up to me to eat a pile of pellets and allow me to stroke her whilst she is picking the food up but she always retreats when she is chewing. She never offers me her head for nose rubs - she only wants Bruce to perform that role. And ulitmately I don;t think I will ever be sucessful - at least not whilst Bruce is around - as it is not about building up her confidence. She is not frightened of me at all and she is actually very good about having her nails trimmed and her vaccinations etc. But I perform a role in her life where I feed her and clean her and generally serve her and that is the limit of our relationship in her eyes. I do find it very hard to accept that I will never have as close a bond with her as I do with Bruce. And it really does not help that she is so beautiful that you just want to reach out and give her some attention. Like your pair she is very nosey and naughty but I take the other opinion to you. She is a house bun and I don't think she would cope as an outside bun as she would never cope with being confined. She and Bruce have a whole room to themselves bigger than most children's bedrooms. She has the open plan living room, dining room, kitchen area of the house when I am home and access to the small back garden and this is just about ok for her space wise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:34 am

I'm sure my girls would love the run of the house, though myself my daughter and little Roru would have to move out! There isn't the room for all of us and Rory has the greater need. They have a 6ft by 8ft set up and are moving into the summer house for the winter so they aren't doing too badly for themselves, the little minx's have more toys than most children as well lol
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:38 am

Aww hun don't beat yourself up about this. Felix and Willow have each other and often when buns are bonded their allegiances transfer to their new bunny partner. Also, your buns may have developed into very independent bunnies anyway.

Being outside has probably changed their familiarity with you, but that should be capable of being reversed if you spend a bit more time with them again, but it will just take a bit of time.

My buns have always been outdoor ones and have tended to see me in the role as provider of food and the occasional noserub.

I am sure that Felix and Willow are happy with their lives and each other. xx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:46 am

Thanks Nicki, I hope they are happy, they are always playful and lively, it's just doesnt include us anymore, or at the moment- not sure which!I have had them
In the house for the last 2 nights because of the fire works, it's been a struggle! Rory doesn't like them being I here at all! I have given there hutch and run it's big scrub today and moved around all their toys etc and I know they will be glad to be back out there, gone are the day when they want to flop in the middle of the floor and sleep- no way they would do that now
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:49 am

Remember also, if you go out to interact with them, you might have Rory's scent on you and that might make them act more cautiously too.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:16 pm

Yes that's definatley a factor, and Rory has been dofferent with me since I have had a boyfriend lol- spraying me etc- thank god he rarely does it now - I sound alot on Jean Paul gaultier to have it over powered be eau de Rory x
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:43 pm

If anyone can win them round, you can Thumbs Up

Like others have said before me, I'm sure you can put it right by spending more quality time with them Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Ah thank you that's really lovely of you to say so Smile I'm have been having a paddy in the garden this afternoon as I can get the tarpaulin fastened down with the pegs I have and they are just watching me from under their blue roof munching on hay and thinking 'he has finally lost it Felix, we are better off out here let me tell you, that spoilt brat Rory has to out up with her tantrums all the time' lol
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:43 pm

It sounds like you have all your bun's best interests at heart and you are doing a great job at making them feel happy and secure. Sem of my buns won't let me have anything to do with them, sometimes you just have to accept that and enjoy them for what they are. Enjoy watching their little bunny antics and then go in and cuddle your Rory, the cuddle bunny. You have the best of both worlds Smile
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down