Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

omg, bunnys water bowls were frozen solid

+7
Ruffin
Sparky
Father Jack
James1966
woodwench
Tuckerbunnies
dizzylynn
11 posters

Go down

omg, bunnys water bowls were frozen solid Empty omg, bunnys water bowls were frozen solid

Post by dizzylynn Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:10 am

I went out this morning to check the bunnys, and get their dishes, picked up there water dishes and the water was frozen solid. The buns seem ok but I am worried they might not be ok for much longer. Hubby is going to make boxes today for them.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

omg, bunnys water bowls were frozen solid Empty Re: omg, bunnys water bowls were frozen solid

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:45 am

This is a big problem in really cold weather and there is not much you can do as I am sure you cover the hutch up in cold weather.

All I can suggest is putting something round the bowl like a thin towel. I am suprised nobody has ever invented something to keep water from freezing in a water bowl because we have stuff to put in bird baths and dishes to stop them from freezing.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

omg, bunnys water bowls were frozen solid Empty Re: omg, bunnys water bowls were frozen solid

Post by dizzylynn Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:14 am

Its not a hutch lol, its a play hut, all lined and insulated, but the window is only area that has no protection, Ive moved the water to the bottom level were its less expossed, making some warm tubs today if have time, hubby is hoping to make them once he has built the 2nd play hut, but what might do is get few cheap toy boxes and cut an arch out one side, file the cut edge down so not going to hurt them if they catch there body on it, then fill it with straw, as long as its done for tonight. there running about today that will keep them warm, and there is tones of staw in the babys cages.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:29 pm

Idea.... don't know how practicle, but how about standing the dishes on a heat pad?
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:00 pm

I wont leave it over night tonight, go out as late as possible and bring it in, sorting there play house now, hubby is nearly finished building it, then need to line it with the silver insulation while he runs up for the wood to go over that, I will transfer the cages into the lined house over night, the shed must have rotten wood letting in the cold, charlies is the window, I am going to put a carboard box infront fo the window so it blocks the cold, and add extra bedding for him to snuggle into. I nice relieve here, your not jumping on my like I dont know what I am doing, I have put a thread else where (not a bunny place) being spoken to like I am an idiot, that bunnies must be kept inside in the winter grrrrr.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by James1966 Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Put a few drops of olive oil in them, it will lower the freezing point by a few degrees.

James

James1966
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Dont think I have any of that, would get it from boots am I right, was going to try heating up towels in the tumble dryer till there really warm not hot, then put them in beside them or in the hay hides as extra warmth. Would that work do you think, and place a hot facecloth under the water bowl, top it up with warm water before go to bed or remove water alltogether till 1st thing in morning.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:23 pm

Hudad toyed with the idea of using reptile heat mats under our bowls but decided against it because we have a habit of chewing things omg, bunnys water bowls were frozen solid Icon_whistle

He's already lost a phone charger to Sparky Laughing
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:26 pm

Olive oil - you can get from most grocery stores (never tried that remedy though).

I wouldn't use towels or face-cloths as they will get cold quickly then just be damp.

If you don't have a snugglesafe, you could heat a brick in the oven for an hour, wrap it well in a thick towel, then leave it beside the water bowl. It'll stay warm for ages. Just make sure the buns can get well away from it if they find it too warm.

I wouldn't remove the water completely - if they do get thirsty and it freezes at least they can lick at the ice!
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:27 pm

Father Jack wrote:He's already lost a phone charger to Sparky Laughing
Shocked That was Molly! It was in three bits Laughing
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Heat mats need a theromstate they have a high risk of over heating and going on fire, we keep reps too lol so know somestuff boot that.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:16 pm

I mean those pads you warm in the microwave!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:39 pm

Blonde moment sorry lol
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:44 pm

[b]If all else fails you could buy them some scates !! Very Happy
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:02 pm

Both bottles and the bowl were frozen in our shed this morning too! Temperatures dropped to -4 last night here. I bought a duvet and I've put that over the hutch and also got a snuggle safe but not sure if to use it tonight as its meant to be 3 and not in the minuses?
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Yodaphine Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:15 pm

I read somewhere that a ping-pong ball in the water bowl stops this problem...My boy is indoors tho so cant say I have tried it x

Yodaphine
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:27 pm

[b]Its because there body heat keeps the hutch warm when they play table tennis Very Happy
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Yodaphine Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Ruffin wrote:[b]Its because there body heat keeps the hutch warm when they play table tennis Very Happy

Laughing Oh I see! Always wondered how it worked! Laughing

Yodaphine
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:34 pm

[b]Sorry couldn't resist that one its living with 5 bunnies and a ginea pig has sent me as mad as them Smile
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Ruffin wrote:[b]Sorry couldn't resist that one its living with 5 bunnies and a ginea pig has sent me as mad as them Smile

We love you for it!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:01 pm

Yodaphine wrote:
Ruffin wrote:[b]Its because there body heat keeps the hutch warm when they play table tennis Very Happy

Laughing Oh I see! Always wondered how it worked! Laughing

ROFL

I hope they don't use Daisy as a bat!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:09 pm

You guys make me smile Very Happy so far its not froze again, but its been dead cold the last 2 days, need to clean them out and add new hay/straw hubby will help me after dinner.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:17 pm

[b]oooooo please dont tempt them every time I go in I expect to find that they have stuck him to the flypaper hung to the shed roof and posted us a ransom note for 50 carrots Laughing
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:33 pm

hahaha someone has little charactors sounds like there fun to be round.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down