Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ice pods or frozen bottles of water?

+6
racheld69
Jay
Lynda
Happy Hoppers
lopz
*Bex*
10 posters

Go down

Ice pods or frozen bottles of water? Empty Ice pods or frozen bottles of water?

Post by *Bex* Sun May 31, 2009 10:59 am

My foster buns hutches are in direct sunlight of a morning Sad What with all the other rabbit hutches/sheds theres nowhere to move them to thats shaded.

I was thinking of buying some Ice Pods today, but the OH keeps saying frozen bottles of water will do the same?!? :? Is this right? I dont want them to chew the plastic of the bottle once its unfrozen and for them to have a soaking wet hutch Laughing :?

What do you guys use for your buns in this heat?

xXx
*Bex*
*Bex*
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-09-28

http://www.rspca-walsall.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Ice pods or frozen bottles of water? Empty Re: Ice pods or frozen bottles of water?

Post by lopz Sun May 31, 2009 11:04 am

With the Ice Pods, there is always the chance of poison leaking when they chew it.
If they are not under constant supervision, I would stick to water.
lopz
lopz
Banned

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Ice pods or frozen bottles of water? Empty Re: Ice pods or frozen bottles of water?

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun May 31, 2009 11:14 am

Personally I use froen water bottles but wrap a tea towel round them too, just to take the edge off the coldness. I've not yet ever seen any sign my buns have tried to nibble them.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Sun May 31, 2009 12:40 pm

Drape a white sheet or a towel over part of the hutch, that should reflect some of the sun. We also managed to get hold of marble slabs from an old fireplace, marble never ever gets warm, buns love to lie on them, but ceramic tiles will do the same job and you could always put them in the fridge to chill overnight.
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun May 31, 2009 4:32 pm

I use frozen bottles of water in a towel too Smile He usually pushes it out of the way though Sad
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by *Bex* Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:56 pm

Ive used frozen bottles of water the last few days Smile 2 of my foster buns have nibbled at the bottle lid Laughing I did see the Ice Pods on offer in P@H today and bought one... i'll have to give that to non chewing buns Rolling Eyes I get so paranoid about giving them new things Embarassed

Thanks guys Thumbs Up xXx
*Bex*
*Bex*
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by *Bex* Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:57 pm

Lynda wrote:Drape a white sheet or a towel over part of the hutch, that should reflect some of the sun. We also managed to get hold of marble slabs from an old fireplace, marble never ever gets warm, buns love to lie on them, but ceramic tiles will do the same job and you could always put them in the fridge to chill overnight.

Fab idea about the tiles... shall try and get some tomorrow Smile xXx
*Bex*
*Bex*
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:11 pm

i just bought 3 half price ice pods at pets at home.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256

Back to top Go down

Post by *Bex* Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:14 pm

racheld69 wrote:i just bought 3 half price ice pods at pets at home.

Its a fab offer isnt it? At £4.89 you can hardly go wrong! Lets hope they work Laughing
*Bex*
*Bex*
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:07 pm

i use both.but they seem to lie with their backs against the bottles
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by kitkatmoo Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:12 pm

My OH got my bun an ice pod today - but he is on his own in the day so would you recommend I don't leave it in there?? My OH put it in today when I was at work and it was untouched when I got back but maybe it's not safe to leave him alone with it in case he turns on it. He threw his ceramic bowl down the stairs once and broke it and has now even mnaged to crack his heavy duty plastic one using the same trick.
kitkatmoo
kitkatmoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:09 pm

i think they are pretty tough and fine to leave with them.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:20 pm

kitkatmoo wrote:My OH got my bun an ice pod today - but he is on his own in the day so would you recommend I don't leave it in there?? My OH put it in today when I was at work and it was untouched when I got back but maybe it's not safe to leave him alone with it in case he turns on it. He threw his ceramic bowl down the stairs once and broke it and has now even mnaged to crack his heavy duty plastic one using the same trick.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Strong bunny!
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanne26 Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:03 pm

Liam and Mish spend most of the day laid in the middle hutch so i soak 2 large (light coloured) towels in cold water and put one on top of the hutch and the other draped over the front.
Joanne26
Joanne26
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1031
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down