Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drinking Water

+5
dizzylynn
Dotdot
KatieB
fiver
fall3n-ang3l
9 posters

Go down

Drinking Water Empty Drinking Water

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri May 04, 2012 7:45 am

for the past 2 days,ive noticed the water bottle hasnt really gone down,they do have a bowl of water in the cage too but most of it gets spilled but how do i know if there getting enough water? would they get enough water from there veg in a morning,i do put a lot of cucumber in as i know its very watery and how would i know if they get dehydrated?

thank you Very Happy
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Drinking Water Empty Re: Drinking Water

Post by fiver Fri May 04, 2012 8:06 am

i was told by my vet that when you check them you gently pull a piece of skin the same way you chek a human for dehydration and if the skin is not elasticy and doesn't go straight back then they may be dehydrated

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri May 04, 2012 9:11 am

thanks rob

a stupid question alert,do they drink less when its cold and do the size of poo's mean anything
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri May 04, 2012 11:23 am

Small hard poo's are a sign of dehydration hun. Do they seem ok in themselves?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri May 04, 2012 12:24 pm

yes they both seem ok,they is a few tiny poo's in the litter tray,i think it might be snowflake,will get them both out and check them over,they have both been out this morning for a good run about,will give them both some parsley as well
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Fri May 04, 2012 12:28 pm

On cold days my two seem to like warmish water, especially Tigger! When she sees me filling it up outside she sits and waits where I put the bottle in Laughing
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri May 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Dotdot wrote:On cold days my two seem to like warmish water, especially Tigger! When she sees me filling it up outside she sits and waits where I put the bottle in Laughing

these pampered buns,they will be wanting it with milk and 2 sugars next Laughing
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Fri May 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri May 04, 2012 1:25 pm

well ive just got snowflake out and had a really nice cuddle with her Love she had a few knots in her fur,so ive cut them out and shes nice and solid Embarassed and had a look at her bum and they was a squished poo on there,so ive cleaned that off her,think iam going to have to cut her back with greens as i think she has a more sensitive tummy than spike,i tried and had a quick look at her teeth and the top ones look perfect,couldnt really see the bottom ones,ive never checked her teeth before Embarassed as i dont feel confident in doing so and i always think they will bite me,is there an easy way in doing this?ive also told snowflake,that iam going to start getting them both out and have a cuddle and give them a good brush,she didnt looked too impressed with it,as soon as i put her back she ran off Laughing and spike with her,so she must have known it was her time,will try and get her in a few mins,anyway,i took some pics of her when she was on my knee Love
Drinking Water 2012-05-04130707

Drinking Water 2012-05-04125816

Drinking Water 2012-05-04130406

fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Fri May 04, 2012 1:30 pm

My charlie drinks less than the younger 2, he does eat plenty veg so will get fluid from that, I think if its in a bottle they sometimes drink for something to do, if rosie is less active she drinks more, but if she gets out to play she drinks less, you would think it would be other way round, so I think its boredom with her.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri May 04, 2012 1:54 pm

just got spike out and she had a few poo's stuck to her bum,i really want to cut it down or cut it out all together,would that harm them in anyway? i would feel so mean though as they do love the veg

Drinking Water 2012-05-04134453

Drinking Water 2012-05-04133234

Drinking Water 2012-05-04133755
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Fri May 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Maybe reduce the variaty or amount of veg, none of mine have any problem with variaty, Charlie is fussy tho and wont eat some of the things the other 2 will eat.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri May 04, 2012 2:44 pm

fall3n-ang3l wrote:.....these pampered buns,they will be wanting it with milk and 2 sugars next Laughing

Only 2 sugars? I know that my Thumper would demand at least 3 lemon cubes! And cookies to go with!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri May 04, 2012 6:11 pm

They are just so fluffy and cuddly, and neither of them tried to mutilate you Shocked

What veg do you give?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri May 04, 2012 7:46 pm

gentl wrote:
fall3n-ang3l wrote:.....these pampered buns,they will be wanting it with milk and 2 sugars next Laughing

Only 2 sugars? I know that my Thumper would demand at least 3 lemon cubes! And cookies to go with!

ROFL

Sparky wrote:They are just so fluffy and cuddly, and neither of them tried to mutilate you Shocked

What veg do you give?

no they didnt sparky,snowflake put her head under my chin,i did have visions of her lunging for my neck Laughing so kept moving her head away,they have

curly leaf kyle (they fav)
cabbage
celery
cauliflower
cucumber
very small amout of pepper
very small amount of carrot

is that too much?
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri May 04, 2012 8:07 pm

aww so cute Love Love Love

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri May 04, 2012 8:14 pm

They can get a lot of water from their greens but we have a lot that don't drink a lot of water. Fiver is right with how to tell if they are dehydrated just pinch their skin together if it stays in one place they are dehydrated if it immediately goes back into place they are not .

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri May 04, 2012 8:27 pm

fall3n-ang3l wrote:curly leaf kyle (they fav)
cabbage
celery
cauliflower
cucumber

Personally I'd only give tiny amounts of kale. We've given up on cabbage and spring greens, although occasionally Humum will buy a Savoy cabbage for her and Hudad and divide one leaf between 12 buns. Cauliflower and broccoli are reputed to cause runny bums - we've given up cauli and have tiny bits of broccoli. I'm not sure how much cucumber is ok, but I would take the skin off in case it has been sprayed with anything. Our 'veg' is heavily biased to herbs - lots of coriander, a little parsley, some basil. Then other veg in very small amounts - mange tout, broccoli, carrot, perhaps a tiny bit of kale or cabbage. If we have one 'cabbagey' thing like kale, we would not have cabbage as well on the same day.

We do get given lots of different hays, and the dried herb mixes to make our 'dry' forage more interesting Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Fri May 04, 2012 8:47 pm

I agree with Sparky. Thumbs Up

Jeeves had a runny bum last week and I took him off Spring Greens (Cabbage) and since then his tummy has been better. Maysie at Tuckerbunnies has had trouble with the greens too.
I give lots of herbs now too, corriander, parsley, dill, rocket and in trying with mint but they aren't impressed Laughing Herbs are so much gentler.

I've always been too scared to give broccoli as I've read it can give buns gas, I found it strange that's what the vet told me to give Jeeves when he had an upset tummy scratch I didn't though. I couldn't risk it.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Fri May 04, 2012 8:48 pm

P.S your buns are gorgeous!! So lovely to see them again
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri May 04, 2012 9:33 pm

If they are getting a fair bit of wet/watery veg, they will def drink less water.

A long time ago, I had to give Thumper ABX in her water and to make sure she was drinking it, the vet told me to stop giving her veg until the end of the course. That way she would be more thirsty and would have to drink it.

I know I drink loads more when it's hot than I do when it's cold Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri May 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Sparky wrote:
fall3n-ang3l wrote:curly leaf kyle (they fav)
cabbage
celery
cauliflower
cucumber

Personally I'd only give tiny amounts of kale. We've given up on cabbage and spring greens, although occasionally Humum will buy a Savoy cabbage for her and Hudad and divide one leaf between 12 buns. Cauliflower and broccoli are reputed to cause runny bums - we've given up cauli and have tiny bits of broccoli. I'm not sure how much cucumber is ok, but I would take the skin off in case it has been sprayed with anything. Our 'veg' is heavily biased to herbs - lots of coriander, a little parsley, some basil. Then other veg in very small amounts - mange tout, broccoli, carrot, perhaps a tiny bit of kale or cabbage. If we have one 'cabbagey' thing like kale, we would not have cabbage as well on the same day.

We do get given lots of different hays, and the dried herb mixes to make our 'dry' forage more interesting Thumbs Up

i do limit the kyle,its not even the size of my palm,broccoli i stopped giving them as this caused sticky poo's,will stop the cabbage then and see if that makes a difference,i did grow some herbs last year and now there starting to grow,i might just cut the veg and give more herbs,might grow a few more,hubbie will be pleased it wont cost as much,the veg we do buy is for the piggies as well,it will last twice as long Laughing i know iam going to feel guilty but i know its for the best

Dotdot wrote:P.S your buns are gorgeous!! So lovely to see them again

thank you Very Happy i loved the little cuddle i had today with them both Love
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri May 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:If they are getting a fair bit of wet/watery veg, they will def drink less water.

A long time ago, I had to give Thumper ABX in her water and to make sure she was drinking it, the vet told me to stop giving her veg until the end of the course. That way she would be more thirsty and would have to drink it.

I know I drink loads more when it's hot than I do when it's cold Smile

it only twigged today when i was outside and thinking it was cold and then realised,could that be a reason too and iam deffo going to cut back on the veg and give more herbs
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri May 04, 2012 9:48 pm

I've still not tried Molly and Junior with any veg, and going by some of the things posted on here, I'm leaning towards not bothering.

They can't miss what they've never had. And I believe it's not necessary for them anyway. I will try herbs in time, but right now they are loving the 3 kinds of hay, dried plantain, apple & blackcurrant leaves and dandelion that they get.

Well, Junior's not too sure of the dandelion, but he loves everything else.

I will maybe have me some veg free buns!!! We'll see!!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat May 05, 2012 12:04 am

Dotdot wrote:I agree with Sparky. Thumbs Up

Jeeves had a runny bum last week and I took him off Spring Greens (Cabbage) and since then his tummy has been better. Maysie at Tuckerbunnies has had trouble with the greens too.
I give lots of herbs now too, corriander, parsley, dill, rocket and in trying with mint but they aren't impressed Laughing Herbs are so much gentler.

I've always been too scared to give broccoli as I've read it can give buns gas, I found it strange that's what the vet told me to give Jeeves when he had an upset tummy scratch I didn't though. I couldn't risk it.

Yes we have we think the Spring greens are giving the buns upset tummies and our vet agree's with us Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down