Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alfalfa King Timothy hay u/d whoops!! :(

+2
paullp
Thumper2001
6 posters

Go down

Alfalfa King Timothy hay u/d whoops!! :( Empty Alfalfa King Timothy hay u/d whoops!! :(

Post by Thumper2001 Sun May 06, 2012 12:32 pm

Do I need to stop giving this to Molly and Junior when they reach 6 months?

I've had a look at the nutrients and it says it has minimum calcium of 0.25% and maximum 0.75%. Is this still too much for adult buns?

Does anyone feed it to their adult buns?

They really love it so I'm already feeling guilty about having to take it away Sad

This is the stuff I am gibbering about:
https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hays%2C+Grasses+%252526+Herbs.4/Select+by+Hay+Type.130/Timothy+Hay.21/Alfalfa+King+Timothy+Hay+1.8kg.268.html

Thank you Smile

Last edited by Thumper2001 on Sun May 06, 2012 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Alfalfa King Timothy hay u/d whoops!! :( Empty Re: Alfalfa King Timothy hay u/d whoops!! :(

Post by paullp Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 pm

I think this is fine, the brand is "alfalfa king" but it doesn't have any alfalfa in it so should be fine. Should be just timothy hay - great for buns....but rubbish for my hayfever - which I have all year round now that Myrtle is a house rabbit.

I've given this to Myrtle before but found it a bit dusty, though this could have been a one off. I usually alternate between Devonshire meadow hay (green in an environmental sense, kind of greeny brown in colour) and Oxbow timothy hay (very green in colour but massive carbon footprint!)

paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Alfalfa King Timothy hay u/d whoops!! :( Empty Re: Alfalfa King Timothy hay u/d whoops!! :(

Post by Thumper2001 Sun May 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Omg!! What a donkey!!! All this time I've been thinking I've been feeding them alfalfa hay and I haven't!!!!!!

Thanks loads for your reply, I didn't realise that at all! I thought there was alfalfa and Timothy in it Embarassed

I'm a bit concerned now because they are young and should have been getting alfalfa hay and they haven't Sad

I hope I haven't done them any damage Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sun May 06, 2012 5:37 pm

Oh bless you, I thought that a while back and realised it's just a name.
When Tigger was their age and younger she never had Alfalfa and she's turned out fine Laughing
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun May 06, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm totally freaking out. Here's me thinking they've been getting what they need and they haven't Sad

I feel so bad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I hope I haven't broken them Sad I don't know how important it is.

Talk about a stupid name for a product!!!! Mad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sun May 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Don't worry! Honestly, I'm sure they're still functioning perfectly, Molly's still naughty isn't she? Smile

Tigger never ever had Alfalfa, I had no idea baby buns needed it but she's fine. A little gorgeous madam.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Sun May 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Marshall never had Alfalfa hay as a youngster and he is prefectly fine so i wouldnt fret too much about it Hugs
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun May 06, 2012 6:19 pm

Bearing in mind that in the wild buns will survive (and thrive) on the lowest-quality scrub grass and twiggy bushes, I think Molly and Junior will be just fine Thumbs Up

Besides, don't you give them the alfalfa mini-bales? (Or rather, don't they help themselves to them Laughing ) so if they did *need* alfalfa (which they don't) they would be getting some anyway.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun May 06, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm so glad to hear that some of you guys didn't give yours it either!! Thanks!

The wild bun thought did occur to me, but I still feel bad Sad

They've got a bit flaky with the mini alfalfa bales. Sometimes they eat them, sometimes they pee on them Rolling Eyes Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sun May 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Haha whatever takes your fancy bunnies, as long as you don't pee on them then eat them because I'd turn my nose up then Laughing

I had absolutely no idea alfalfa existed when Tig was a baby, I only heard of it when she was at the age that I found out she wasn't allowed it.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sun May 06, 2012 6:59 pm

Florence didn't have it either, just meadow hay before she became a hay snob, and she's a perfect little madam, so don't worry!

I agree though, stupid name for hay that doesn't contain any!!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun May 06, 2012 8:10 pm

It is a stupid name!!!

I've ordered some alfalfa hay Embarassed Laughing

They can get it for a few weeks at least!!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun May 06, 2012 9:18 pm

I bet they don't even eat it, after all that Wink
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun May 06, 2012 9:33 pm

You are probably right Laughing But at least I'll know I tried Thumbs Up
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down