Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Poor Bunnnies :(

+4
fiver
Thumper2001
Tuckerbunnies
Bunnylover<3
8 posters

Go down

The Poor Bunnnies :( Empty The Poor Bunnnies :(

Post by Bunnylover<3 Thu May 31, 2012 6:19 pm

We have just come back from taking our beautiful bunnies Bouncer and Bubbles to the vets for their third check up after their castration last week. They were very quiet on the way and while we were in the vets last week and when we came home they were shaking very hard and would not come to the front of the cage no matter how much we waved a treat infront of their faces which is deffinatly not like them. I thought this might just to be with the anisthetic and the shock in their system. However every time we go to the vets now they are quivering in the back of their carriers and will not budge. Is this just because they have had bead memorys of the vets and the carriers, Is there anything I can do for them? they are in there hutches now but it took us a while to convince them they were safe. I feel so sorry for them Sad
Thankyou,
Bunnylover<3
Bunnylover<3
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2012-05-08

Back to top Go down

The Poor Bunnnies :( Empty Re: The Poor Bunnnies :(

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu May 31, 2012 8:09 pm

I think you will find it's mostly the travelling in the pet carrier in the car to the vet's that upset's them the most, some bunnies travel well some don't and will shake or be a bit upset for awhile but they will be ok after they have calmed down.
I would leave the pet carrier on the floor in their pen till they decide to come out of it and you could leave their pet carrier in their pen with a few treats hidden in it so that they can associate it with nice things as well as the not so nice Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu May 31, 2012 9:02 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:I think you will find it's mostly the travelling in the pet carrier in the car to the vet's that upset's them the most, some bunnies travel well some don't and will shake or be a bit upset for awhile but they will be ok after they have calmed down.
I would leave the pet carrier on the floor in their pen till they decide to come out of it and you could leave their pet carrier in their pen with a few treats hidden in it so that they can associate it with nice things as well as the not so nice Smile
I totally agree with this Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Thu May 31, 2012 9:26 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:
Tuckerbunnies wrote:I think you will find it's mostly the travelling in the pet carrier in the car to the vet's that upset's them the most, some bunnies travel well some don't and will shake or be a bit upset for awhile but they will be ok after they have calmed down.
I totally agree with this Smile
me too i put their fave toy in with them (usually a ball ) when i take mine

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu May 31, 2012 9:29 pm

Oh bless them - We have this with Annabelle when she she has been in the car.

Sending them some lovely gentle nose rubs x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu May 31, 2012 9:51 pm

Poor little darlings! Love Maysie gives excellent advice. Our bunnies have always loved to travel. Lady went over 1500 miles when we moved. She loved it! I hope your bunnies can become more receptive to travel.

I wonder if something really bad happened to them at the vets. Not the surgery, but perhaps loud dogs barking or being placed in a cage next to a dog or cat.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:29 pm

Oh poor babies, I'd feel awful if I saw this. Must be quite a worry.
I'm glad they recover after a while though.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunnylover<3 Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:54 pm

gentl wrote:Poor little darlings! Love Maysie gives excellent advice. Our bunnies have always loved to travel. Lady went over 1500 miles when we moved. She loved it! I hope your bunnies can become more receptive to travel.

I wonder if something really bad happened to them at the vets. Not the surgery, but perhaps loud dogs barking or being placed in a cage next to a dog or cat.
That is true. There was a giant st bernard that did come very close the my buns and started to bark for a while. It frightened me aswell. #thanks for your advice
Bunnylover<3
Bunnylover<3
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2012-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:31 pm

I really like (some breeds of) dogs, but some people really need to get theirs under control Rolling Eyes

I can't stand badly behaved dogs!!!!!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:35 pm

This is what upset Faith the last time Mike took her for a check up as he was waiting to go in the room to see the vet someone came out with a dog and it started to bark at Faith in her pet carrier and of course Faith has been attacked and mauled by a dog before we had her and so it really upset her and she was quiet all day and just sat huddled in her litter tray Bless her.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:39 am

Bunnylover<3 wrote:
gentl wrote:Poor little darlings! Love Maysie gives excellent advice. Our bunnies have always loved to travel. Lady went over 1500 miles when we moved. She loved it! I hope your bunnies can become more receptive to travel.

That is true. There was a giant st bernard that did come very close the my buns and started to bark for a while. It frightened me aswell. #thanks for your advice
They would have picked up on your fear too. Bunnies are sensitive that way. I hope they are just fine when they wake in the AM. Hugs
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:23 pm

I am so sorry for their distress, poor little sweeties. There is some great advice here from our friends at HH. There is also a good article in the latest Rabbiting On about making travelling less stressful for buns.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down