Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Willow gave me a scare last night! UD: Vets tomorrow

+4
gentl
Tuckerbunnies
fiver
FluffSlave
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Willow gave me a scare last night! UD: Vets tomorrow - Page 2 Empty Re: Willow gave me a scare last night! UD: Vets tomorrow

Post by Sparky Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:24 pm

FluffSlave wrote: if they link any findings tomorrow with her reaction to the GA I get a reduced consultation fee, as they have then diagnosed a condition or something? Bonus, although there is no price on Willow staying happy and healthy.
This is quite normal, if your pet needs repeat visits for checkups or medication the consultation fee for that is often lower that the initial one. At our vets it's about £19 for a consult, but £9.50 for a repeat checkup. Although ours see us so often they sometimes waive the fee completely Very Happy

I think the key is acting quickly as soon as she shows any symptoms in the nose (if she ever does) - the sooner you knock it back the less chance there is of it being an ongoing condition. We were quite surprised to have cured Jack completely, and I think that is mostly because we acted so fast. Stress will always deplete the immune system, so be aware of any stressful events which might cause a change in her - anything from fireworks night to you going away for a few days. (In Jack's case, it was losing his wifebun and getting a new girlfriend then having his vaccinations in a short space of time - Humum would have left his jab a few weeks if she had thought about it. In my case, being spayed caused a flare-up and I had another minor one after meeting Gizmo.)

Here's a question to ask:
"I have been advised that Baytril is often not effective to treat snuffles, and that they do not like the taste so the stress of giving it to them undoes any potential benefit. Would you be willing to prescribe an alternative, unlicensed, antibiotic in place of Baytril? If so, what would it be and do you have it readily available?'

I hope I don't sound condescending but I'm really impressed with your dedication and commitment to Willow, as a 'new' bunny mum your willingness to find out all you can to give her the best possible life is something I wish we saw far more often Thumbs Up Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Willow gave me a scare last night! UD: Vets tomorrow - Page 2 Empty Re: Willow gave me a scare last night! UD: Vets tomorrow

Post by fiver Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:29 pm

how's willow today

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks Sparky. If they do decide to medicate her then I will ask about the alternative medication. You don't sound condescending at all. I'm a firm believer in that everyone can learn something new, and I love my girl so much I am open to any and all advice I can get to keep her happy and healthy. Smile Hugs

Rob, Willow is fine. She's been happy munching away at her hay all day and is now flopped out on the floor beside me. Eating all day is hard work! Laughing
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:55 pm

FluffSlave wrote:If they do decide to medicate her then I will ask about the alternative medication.
I'd ask tomorrow, before any need to medicate presents itself, so the plan is in place if you ever need it and so that if they instantly refuse you can consider your options (we'd be reluctant to use any vet who was not willing to listen to us - I wouldn't be here if our vet wasn't so wonderful and open-minded. I have a cow and sheep drug Shocked Laughing ).

I'm glad Willow is well today, I think it's safe to say most of us have fallen a little bit in love with her Love
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:34 pm

Ok Sparky, will double check tomorrow that in the event of needing some medication they would be willing to prescribe an alternative, and ask what that alternative will be.

Our vets are very good but it does frustrate me sometimes that they see me, a seventeen year old girl, and instantly assume I'm either dumb, not that educated about my rabbit or don't really care. It can be quite hard to ask for things as a younger person and them give it any consideration. But will have mum in toe with me, and they seem to listen to her! Laughing

Thank you very much Smile I will be sure to let Willow know of her fan club. She is quite easy to fall in love with Laughing Also fallen a bit in love with you, Sparky! Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:53 pm

I agree with Sparky on this one - you have to ask ahead of time. Bruce and Flo had a reaction to the cylap VHD injection last year. I have had several conversations with my vet in that last year with regards to this. She had agreed to ordering a different option but was not convinced by my saying that it was a wide spread problem. We saw another vet today and she said that they had looked into it in the last year and realised it is a bigger problem than they had initially realised. They had an alternative in the fridge that has been put back for us ready for when they go for that jab in 2 weeks. Sometime you need to plant the seed early to reap the reward down the line. In the same vein I have discussed with my vets what happens when Bruce becomes too fragile age wise to cope with the G.A.s for his dentals. It may be coincidence but they are finding better ways of sedating him now. And like Sparky I have had to come out fighting before to get my guinea pigs prescribed a anti-biotic that isn't Baytril. One vet tried to tell me I couldn't have the sheep antibiotic that one pig had previously had and that I knew would work. We had a months worth of treatment refunded including tests and xrays when a senior vet overturned her decision.The practice manager said something to me that really stuck with me. She said 'you can tell the vets they are wrong you know.'

I may sound a bit anti vet - believe me I am not - but I do think that you need to build a partnership with your vets. I think that the more you can show you can ask insightful questions and show your knowledge the more they will respect you.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:18 pm

I will be sure to ask ahead of time and I'm also going to ask about what symptoms I should be looking out for that would indicate she needs to see a vet.

Like I said, we do have a great relationship with our vet but I think it natural in everyone to "talk down" to younger people at times. My vet was genuinely shocked that I knew what cecotropes were!

I guess they just see far too many disinterested people come into the surgery and treat everyone accordingly. I agree that the more knowledge I can display and the more insightful questions I ask, the more I will get back from my vet (who are actually very good!). Thumbs Up
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2