Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well now I know why she has been so grumpy - u/d tues

+8
gentl
fiver
KatieB
FluffSlave
Sparky
Dotdot
fall3n-ang3l
Thumper2001
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Well now I know why she has been so grumpy - u/d tues Empty Well now I know why she has been so grumpy - u/d tues

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Flo has started limping today. Like a good bunmum I have investigated. She has a small bare patch on one hock. It has a little bit of a scab in the middle. Well she is a rex cross I guess it was just a matter of time Sad The daft thing is it is the other leg she is limping on. I have given her some metacam for the limp and she is going to the vet tomorrow for the sore hock. You'll be pleased to know that the pesky harness is getting it's come uppance though. She has bitten almost halfway through it!

Last edited by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Well now I know why she has been so grumpy - u/d tues Empty Re: Well now I know why she has been so grumpy - u/d tues

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:31 pm

Aww! Poor Flo!! Hope the vet trip goes ok.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Well now I know why she has been so grumpy - u/d tues Empty Re: Well now I know why she has been so grumpy - u/d tues

Post by fall3n-ang3l Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:56 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Flo has started limping today. Like a good bunmum I have investigated. She has a small bare patch on one hock. It has a little bit of a scab in the middle. Well she is a rex cross I guess it was just a matter of time Sad The daft thing is it is the other leg she is limping on. I have given her some metacam for the limp and she is going to the vet tomorrow for the sore hock. You'll be pleased to know that the pesky harness is getting it's come uppance though. She has bitten almost halfway through it!

ROFL

poor flo,hope she is ok
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:19 pm

So I am wondering about the cause of the problem as well now. I have cut her nails again to make doubly sure but seeing as she flinched on a few I doubt that they were the problem. Which leave flooring. Flo generally avoids the living room so it is unlikely that it is the carpet. In the bun room they have some vetbed (which I have now moved to their most used area) and 3 large jute mats. Some little washable mats where she lands from the chairs and a carpet type rug on the dining table. I have given the table and chairs over to the buns because I simply couldn't keep Flo off them. I piled stuff on the table and she still managed to get up there so I tried to make it as safe as possible. I am assuming that the table carpet is the most likely culprit causing friction burns when she jumps on and off the table. What do you think would be a more suitable covering?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:47 pm

It's hard to tell. I've read that carpet etc can cause friction burns and sore hocks so people switch to lino or chipboard etc and sometimes lino and chipboard can cause friction burns and sore hocks so switch to carpet!
I was wondering about a non slip type covering, not sure what material it is but I wonder if they would be inclined to chew it Hmmm

Interestingly, the other week at Caroline she taught me something I didn't know. All buns have small dry tough patches of skin on their hind legs anyway. Of no use here but I didn't know that.

Lots of vibes for Flo, typical that she's chewed through that blimmin' harness! xx
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Isn't jute like hard woven grass? If it is the stuff I am thinking of, I think that is what I would suspect first.

Get well soon, Flo - and chew the rest of the way through that harness Thumbs Up Laughing Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:52 pm

The problem is that Bruce is the destroyer of soft things. Dog beds, fleecy blankets, vetbed he has seen them all and chewed them all. Flo is a fully paid up carpet chewer. She also stongly dislikes the bare hard flooring. If you put her on it she would scramble under the table and then stay there refusing to move. She is also given to peeing on all the soft things that Bruce likes to chew.

So in short, I need something on the floor that is easy to clean and rabbit proof.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:04 pm

Have you ever tried them on a bit of lino?

It might not count as soft enough for Bruce to chew, or carpetty enough for Flo, and it is less slippy than wood floors.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Vibes for Flo and hope you manage to find a suitable alternative for flooring Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:27 pm

I would suspect the jute rug too. I bought one the other day but when it came I thought it felt too rough for daisy's feet.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:29 pm

aww poor little flo lots of vibes on the way Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
could she be like domino she seems to be prone due to her breed

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:26 pm

As I think I said earlier Rob I have felt for some time that it is inevitable.

Sparky the buns have a textured Karndean flooring. I picked it specifically because it was less slippery than the lino I could find locally and also more chew resistant. But Flo will still not venture onto it.

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:37 am

Poor Flo! I've experienced that chip board must be sealed and have either several coats of paint or that textured epoxy covering. My feet learned that the hard way.

A cushioned lino flooring would be nice. The kind that has a slight pattern to it. We have that in the bedroom and Thumper was initially afraid of it as he is all slick floors. He navigates fine except if his nails need trimming...wich we need to do again....hope I don't draw blood this time!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Oh no Sad sending millions of vibes she gets better quickly and you discover the cause. I unfortunately noticed what I thought was a sore hock the other day on Nibbler and the visit to the vet confirmed it Sad I had absolutely no idea what it could be as he had been on the same flooring for the 2 (nearlyish) years we've had him. The only thing that had changed is his cage. I'd bought him a new one which was bigger and had on the side a level which was like a feeding level with a bowl, with a space under it to hide under. He tended to jump up straight on to it and slide, which is the only cause I could think of as the plastic has slightly raised bits. I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner that him jumping on it and sliding could cause a problem. Feel very guilty about that. At the same time I'm curious as to whether that actually is the cause as he's had it for a long time now and I have never seen them before. Though saying that the fluff on the bottom of his feet does still cover them so that might be why I never saw them before. I'm quite concerned that where we've to now has hard flooring and that it could affect him. I've already noticed he can't really run after me as when he stops he slides. He's finding it difficult to binky on it too Sad I've put all his blankets down and rugs for him but it breaks my heart seeing him having difficulty binkying.

Gone on a tangent, but the vet said to me that it's not good if they get their feet wet, can't remember how it was related (whether it causes them or just helps to slow down recovery), so to make sure his living space was completely dry. This would be the case all the time for Nibbler, if he didn't decide to knock his water bowl over when he's having a strop. Or when he decides to just stand in it No Does Flo have a habit of chucking her water bowl?
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:07 pm

No she doesn't chuck her water bowl, she only attempts to chuck hoomins! Laughing

She saw the vet this morning. Not our normal one. He seemed to think she would be ok with just a change of flooring. I have bought a big rug for them today which is not dissimilar to the main carpet in the lounge and is quite thick piled so hopefully that will ease the pressure. The vet said not to put any cream on it as they need to toughen back up for the hair to grow. I hope he is right.

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:20 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:As I think I said earlier Rob I have felt for some time that it is inevitable.

Sparky the buns have a textured Karndean flooring. I picked it specifically because it was less slippery than the lino I could find locally and also more chew resistant. But Flo will still not venture onto it.
sorry i couldn't have read through properly Smile

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:28 pm

I have 4 rexes and have been very lucky never to have had any of them have sore hocks. They tread on a mix of concrete slabs, lino and washable childrens carpets from Ikea. They have shaving/megazorb mix in their litter tubs with hay on top. They also go on the lawn sometimes too. I think I have been very lucky with them all. Boo had sore hocks when he first came to live with me but they healed themselves with no intervention.

I would have thought the jute rug would have been quite course on the feet. I hope her feet heal quickly for her.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Vince the bunny wrote:I have 4 rexes and have been very lucky never to have had any of them have sore hocks. They tread on a mix of concrete slabs, lino and washable childrens carpets from Ikea. They have shaving/megazorb mix in their litter tubs with hay on top. They also go on the lawn sometimes too. I think I have been very lucky with them all. Boo had sore hocks when he first came to live with me but they healed themselves with no intervention.

I would have thought the jute rug would have been quite course on the feet. I hope her feet heal quickly for her.
extra healing vibes for the poor girl Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:58 pm

Healing vibes are on their way love.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:39 pm

How is She doing?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:55 pm

She seems to be moving a bit better but her feet are looking very pink. I have still been giving her metacam just to help her out a bit. She let me stroke her nose for quite a while yesterday so she must have been feeling unwell! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:28 pm

Are you sure it was *just* Metacam? Wink

I'm glad she seems a bit better Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:33 am

Poor Flo Sad

sending her lots of Vibes for her poorly footsies xxx

From our buns for Flo Well now I know why she has been so grumpy - u/d tues Bunnyhug-2

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:26 am

Well now I know why she has been so grumpy - u/d tues Prayingbunny1-Flo
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:15 pm

How is Flo now?
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next