Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More questions for Sparky/Father Jack

4 posters

Go down

More questions for Sparky/Father Jack Empty More questions for Sparky/Father Jack

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:17 am

I wonder if you could help me again? I'm off to the wood recycling center this week and have a couple of questions

Is soft wood ok for the frame? It's a lot cheaper than hardwood so hoping it is.

What is the minimum thickness of plywood I can use? I'm looking at the 12mm, but they do thinner, don't think I'd need thicker?

Many thanks Smile
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

More questions for Sparky/Father Jack Empty Re: More questions for Sparky/Father Jack

Post by Big Ears Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:50 am

I'm not either Sparky or Father Jack but I'm giving you my two penneth anyway 'cause they might not be around for a few hours.

I use softwood for the frames.

I generally use 9 mm plywood, but it would depend on the project. I used it for my 3x5ft hutch and I'm happy with it. I'd call that the 'good quality finish'; I think 6mm would be acceptable but would prefer 9mm if the budget allows. I'd go for 9mm for the floor either way.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

More questions for Sparky/Father Jack Empty Re: More questions for Sparky/Father Jack

Post by Father Jack Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:14 am

You're lucky, hudad is off ill today so he's let me on his PC Twisted Evil

Softwood will be fine just make sure it is not tanalised (a common preservative treatment). Planed would be the best option.

The ply, most expensive hutches you buy only have 9mm ply so 12mm would be fine. The cheaper hutches tend to have only 6mm ply for the floor Shocked I'd recommend the 12mm as it will add some rigidity and the base is less likely to bow. Just make sure you either stain it with the Cuprinol or paint it with primer then stick lino over it Thumbs Up If it gets weed on, it will de-laminate.
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:34 pm

That's great guys, thanks for that. Gonna be busy making hutches over the next few weeks.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:33 pm

Father Jack wrote:You're lucky, hudad is off ill today so he's let me on his PC Twisted Evil

Softwood will be fine just make sure it is not tanalised (a common preservative treatment). Planed would be the best option.

The ply, most expensive hutches you buy only have 9mm ply so 12mm would be fine. The cheaper hutches tend to have only 6mm ply for the floor Shocked I'd recommend the 12mm as it will add some rigidity and the base is less likely to bow. Just make sure you either stain it with the Cuprinol or paint it with primer then stick lino over it Thumbs Up If it gets weed on, it will de-laminate.

Yes Mike always uses 9mm or 12mm ply for the hutches Thumbs Up

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down