Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I don't know why this has shocked me so much

+7
Vince the bunny
FluffSlave
Dotdot
fiver
Kate7590
marleyNfriends
Sue_pawz
11 posters

Go down

I don't know why this has shocked me so much Empty I don't know why this has shocked me so much

Post by Sue_pawz Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

I don't know why this has shocked me so much Empty Re: I don't know why this has shocked me so much

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:25 pm

No
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

I don't know why this has shocked me so much Empty Re: I don't know why this has shocked me so much

Post by Kate7590 Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Poor bunnies Sad
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:40 pm

No
unbelievable in this day and age people should be more aware

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:46 pm

And also to "not know" their diet! Who gets an animal without finding out what it eats Mad
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:54 pm

No It is shocking. What I find even more shocking is that there are adults out there who are ignorant enough to not only not educate themselves on the correct care for a rabbit, but also who do not insist that their child learns this and also expect them to care for a rabbit for it's entire life and do not take any responsibility themselves.

If you can find my ranting on one subject, it is this.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:57 pm

I hold my hands up and admit: I got Ted on an impulse. I had intended to get a pair of piggies, but the pet shop had none (I didn't know of any rescues for small animals at that point, believe it or not) and we met the Tedster, and OH and I fell in love, and reserved him for when he was big enough to leave his mummy.

We went home and bought about 10 books on rabbit care, bought the biggest cage we could, bunny proofed the front room and bought him loads of toys (which he ignores) and then after neutering, we got him a lady friend.

I did it the wrong way round, but to me it was a no brainer to learn all I could about bunny care in the period leading up to the Tedster coming home.

There's no excuse for the way people mistreat animals.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:03 pm

You did research though Smile and that's admirable. I do wonder why the hell people get animals but don't research how to look after them, it's as if they're a novelty toy and not a living thing.

I did it the wrong way too, I'd been really wanting a pair of rabbits for a year and I'd spent the year finding out lots of info about them, how to look after them, what to feed them etc but my mum had always said no no no - then my 21st birthday came and they were top of my list and my mum finally caved.

I know buns as presents isn't seen as a great idea sometimes, but they were all I wanted, two fluffs who could be completely dependent on me. I knew how high maintenance they would be but I was more than prepared. It's what I wanted.

I got Tigger and Nelly from the local garden centre on my 21st, Nelly died a month later so I had only Tigger. We waited until she was 6 months old to have her spay, jabs and panacur and then I adopted Jeeves from a rescue Smile
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:07 pm

I also bought Willow on impulse and knew nothing about caring for bunnies, but the minute she was home and settled I did all the reading up I could and have continued learning since, and all of the animals I planned to get I was very well educated on before I did so. Sometimes it's worse if people don't want to learn, that is just ignorance and they shouldn't have animals.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:44 pm

When I got Vince I knew I would have to neuter him and vaccinate him, but i believed the P@H adoption bloke when he said to keep him as a lone rabbit as he was aggresive to other buns Sad Fortunately for Vince when I got him home and put him in the 4ft double hutch I quickly realised this was way too small for him and got him a bigger hutch with a run attached. I read up and joined here and Vince is a very happy little chap with his 2 does Smile

I think people think they are easy to keep like a gerbil or hamster, get a cage, plp them in it and then wonder why their rabbit is aggressive and unmanageable. If I was shut in the downstairs loo 24 hours a day with nothing to do and left with hormones raging through my body, I'd be aggressive and territorial too especialy if I was manhandled by an over zealous child Twisted Evil

You wouldn't shut a jack russel sized dog in a 3ft hutch, why on earth would you do it to a rabbit????????????????????
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:48 pm

Crying or Very sad I shouldn't have looked at the article. Crying or Very sad
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:55 pm

Vince, I've seen so many buns in the P@H adoption saying 'I should be kept alone because I'm aggressive to other rabbits'. I always stand there and think is it because they aren't spayed/neutered or because they simply didn't get a good bond and will be perfectly happy with the right rabbit partner.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:47 am

It's sad, but like you've said, it takes nothing to research a rabbit, it doesn't matter if you spend weeks reading articles before you get one (like me Embarassed ) or if you get a rabbit on impulse and research after you've got it or just before. Even picking up one of the guides on rabbits that pets at home sell and giving that a quick read before you go would be better than the blatant ignorance shown by most people. It's not like it's difficult to find out what's best to feed your rabbits all they need to do is google it
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:04 pm

It's so sad, and it makes me more than a little angry to read those statistics Sad

Hats off to The Guardian for publishing it though cheers The more articles we see like this, the better.

Every article is (hopefully) chipping away at people's ignorance and highlighting what they need to change.

Fingers crossed this article helps some buns out there.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:33 pm

I daren't even look at the article love, anything like this makes me homicidal.

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:35 am

The rescue I'm helping at has two very tubby dutchies is, because the previous owner said that 'they love their digestive buscuits' Shocked Yeah! I bet they did!! Mine love jam sarnies but I don't feed that to them Shocked (discovered they like jam sarnies cos they raided the kids picnic No )
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Vince the bunny wrote:The rescue I'm helping at has two very tubby dutchies is, because the previous owner said that 'they love their digestive buscuits' Shocked Yeah! I bet they did!! Mine love jam sarnies but I don't feed that to them Shocked (discovered they like jam sarnies cos they raided the kids picnic No )

Shocked No Rabbits love anything naughty when offered (and quite often stolen!). They won't hold their little paws up and say 'no, I can't have that'.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:38 pm

This is so true love, wide eyed and innocent doesn't even cover it LOL!!

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down