Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too much too fast? Need some help re: bond

5 posters

Go down

Too much too fast? Need some help re: bond  Empty Too much too fast? Need some help re: bond

Post by FluffSlave Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:32 pm

I need your help about something that happened earlier on.

The bonding between Willow and Mojo has been going so well - no aggressive signs, sharing a hay rack (from each cage) Laughing and sitting companionably next to each other through cage bars. When they nose touched they would jump back but no grunting/lunging etc, so tonight we decided to let them have a bit more contact nose-to-nose through a bit more of the bars (supervised only).

It didn't go so well. Willow's tail went right up, and she shot at Mojo and grunted. I was a bit shocked but put the cages back right away and left it at that. So my question is, was it too much too soon? Did we get a bit carried away with all the good signs and push it?

And what would you guys do next? Go back to step one with no nose-to-nose contact for a few days or just treat it as "part of the process" and give it another go tomorrow? Mojo didn't seem particularly phased and when I gave Willow the rest of her lettuce after I'd done her eye ointment earlier she ran up and ate it right next to Mo in his cage.

It seems to me (the novice, untrained eye!) that they're frustrated that they can't get closer. But don't worry, I'm not naive enough to think "Ooh, they want to be friends, let's stick them together!" Laughing

This is why it was maybe better to send them away for bonding. But still, Mojo is our bun now and we will give it as many weeks or months as it needs, but Mum and I have already confirmed he is going nowhere. Even if it means getting another friend for him as well if they don't get on. We're too attached to the little guy already Love

Last edited by FluffSlave on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Too much too fast? Need some help re: bond  Empty Re: Too much too fast? Need some help re: bond

Post by Sixer Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of bunny bonding, it beats me why they have to make it so stressful for us humans.

I am not sure if you are doing this. I know some people use this method, and this is to swap the buns over in the pens so that they are getting used to each others smell. Especially if you are swapping litter trays too.

How long have they been next to each other now?

Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Too much too fast? Need some help re: bond  Empty Re: Too much too fast? Need some help re: bond

Post by FluffSlave Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 pm

They just had another nose touch through a smaller area and were fine again, so yes, they do like to make it stressful and confusing Laughing They can't get at each other when I'm not supervising though.

I would use that method however the pen that Mojo has on the front of his cage is Willow's old one and she can jump over the top of it, so we can't do that. I might try swapping litter trays but Willow won't fit into Mojo's I don't think Laughing I could swap blankeys, toys and food bowls though?

Mo arrived on Sunday afternoon so it's still very early days Smile
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Sixer wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of bunny bonding, it beats me why they have to make it so stressful for us humans.

I am not sure if you are doing this. I know some people use this method, and this is to swap the buns over in the pens so that they are getting used to each others smell. Especially if you are swapping litter trays too.

How long have they been next to each other now?

I agree with this. Also just relax and take your time. Have a clear rule - no contact for 2 weeks. When you finally allow them together, assuming all goes well, you will want to be around. So plan it for when you have several clear days that you can spend at home with them. Time spent seeing each other but without contact is vital settling time.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks Cheryl. We are trying not to run before we can walk but it is all too easy to get excited at the good signs and then rush on with it. We did think that they were ready for the larger area to nose touch though as they'd been showing such good signs beforehand.

So do you think I should leave it a few days before letting them touch at all again then?
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Congratulations on your new addition Smile

I don't have much to offer re bonding but thought I'd mention that I also have a pen jumper (Molly Rolling Eyes) so we have a mosquito net pegged over the top of it. They're ideal because they don't block out any light, air still circulates freely etc Smile

If you can get your hands on one, I'd recommend doing it.

(I love that I can now go to work with peace of mind that she'll still be in the pen when I get home Laughing)
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:18 pm

I would leave them another 10 days. They need to become completely bored with each other.

I think the slow way is best as Willow's hormones are going to make her a real danger to him if he approaches her too soon. Territorial hormonal does are vicious. It may be worth making notes during this time and watching for any particular time when she is more aggressive.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:28 pm

OK Cheryl.

This is my biggest worry, that Willow's hormones are going to cause a problem as she may be calm the one day and completely vile the next. Although she has never been that way with me, but I don't think that means much.

Will also have a look at mosquito nets. Thanks for the tip Thumbs Up
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Mojo and Willow are currently in each other's pens and I am sat in here supervising Willow so she doesn't make the great escape Laughing They're sniffing and scent marking everywhere Laughing

It will only be for an hour or so but it's better than nothing! I'm hoping to do this at least once every evening if not twice.

I've also re arranged the cage set up for them both, so that when they want to eat their hay they are side by side (with a gap in between so they can't touch). I'm hoping this will help them settle in each other's company alongside the cage swapping at least once an evening (I can't do it unsupervised as Willow as an escape artist!). The plan is to leave them like this for Cheryl's recommended 10 days and then, all being well, try to introduce them on neutral territory.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions when it gets to that stage Laughing Thumbs Up
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:16 pm

When I bonded a couple of buns, I kept them in separate rooms for a few months and we swapped the litter trays over so they had the scent of each other and it did work. It was awkard at times because room is something we don't have but I was so pleased.

Good luck love.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:03 pm

What do they think of being in each others pens?

Poop, chin, poop, chin, poop? Laughing
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Oh yes Sparky, last night it was frantic and the amount of poops I had to sweep up in both pens afterwards was no body's business Laughing

They're cage swapped again at the moment and seem a bit calmer, still some chinning going on but mostly just enjoying nicking each other's hay and gloating through the bars as they do it Rolling Eyes Laughing
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down