Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Had to replace charlies walls grrr

+3
FluffSlave
Thumper2001
dizzylynn
7 posters

Go down

Had to replace charlies walls grrr Empty Had to replace charlies walls grrr

Post by dizzylynn Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Last few weeks I've had problems cleaning charlies walls, used the F10 which kills everything, but within a few days there is mould (looks like mould anyway) growing back & the walls are soaking. So on thursday I pulled 1 wall off to see if it was coming from the outside walls, nothing behind it, well except a bleeding big spider web, no spider just the web, so tempory covered the expossed insulated wall. Yesterday I took the rest out, found the big HUGE spider by the way screamed then got back to work, all the wood is fine, (it was just thin boards think we got wrong stuff) I bought proper exterier plywood, bit more pricey (woodyard do it for half the price but its to big to get in car) got 3 panels from b&q, the clerk however didnt count properly only put 2 through so £26 instead of £39 Smile. He doesnt have his level back tho till I get another 2 sheets for the top 1/3rd of the walls done on monday. Was thinking about either getting another pet carrier and use them as snuggle boxes or make one from another sheet (or 2) to sit under his new level, not sure which would be best price wise and for cleaning out. He has the pet carrier at tho moment since removed his level. I also finally put his cat flap in, he can get out easy but not sure if he has sussed how to get back in. He keeps opening the flap & pulling at it, maybe he doesnt like it. I also need to find a better covering for the floor & base of his new walls, was concidering cheap lino covering floor then few inches up walls my concern is how to fix it up the walls and push the corners right in so its all flush. Greatfull for any advice/suggestions. Not doing rest till monday very sore today so need to take it easy for few days.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Had to replace charlies walls grrr Empty Re: Had to replace charlies walls grrr

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Are the walls wood? If yes, are they painted? (Excuse me if I'm being thick, I'm not good at this sort of thing Embarassed)

I know if it was my two, they would, without a doubt, try to eat the Lino Hmmm but I have no suggestions I'm afraid Embarassed
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm not good at this sort of thing so can't really help you but maybe if you posted this into Property Ladder someone can tell you about the lino? I know MarleynFriends has lino for her indoor pen - she might be someone to talk to. I think Dolly has a good nibble sometimes from what I can recall Laughing
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:21 pm

I have lino on the floors of our sheds - Chris bent it up the walls by about an inch and then fixed into place using wood strips about 1 and 1/2" deep rather like a skirting board. In the corners he just slit the lino so it fitted into the corner. I am not sure if you want to take the lino higher than this but you could use the skirting board idea higher. But I think it would be difficult to get a neat finish in the corners. This is a pic of the inside of Gabe's wendy house - Chris and Gabe are in the throes of insulating it! You can see the skirting board on the back wall. It has now been chewed in several places but if needs be it will be easy to replace.

Had to replace charlies walls grrr IMGP0811
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:15 am

Nothing is painted, its bare plywood, will finish it today hopefully, the thin skirting might be a good idea, it shouldnt be easy for him to get his teeth into if its close to the wall. He has finally figured out how to use cat flap both ways lol. He looks funny tho trying to open it the wrong way. He would push it so would swing out & grab it in mid air trying to pull it open, would call him thick but thats actually a brainy idea, he realised finally he just needs to push through it hahaha
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:57 pm

Sixer wrote:I have lino on the floors of our sheds - Chris bent it up the walls by about an inch and then fixed into place using wood strips about 1 and 1/2" deep rather like a skirting board. In the corners he just slit the lino so it fitted into the corner. I am not sure if you want to take the lino higher than this but you could use the skirting board idea higher. But I think it would be difficult to get a neat finish in the corners. This is a pic of the inside of Gabe's wendy house - Chris and Gabe are in the throes of insulating it! You can see the skirting board on the back wall. It has now been chewed in several places but if needs be it will be easy to replace.

Had to replace charlies walls grrr IMGP0811

My lino is in place like Sixer's Thumbs Up I'm lucky that the rex trio don't chew anything other than the chewy things I put in for them (lucky I know!) They don't chew the lino, wood on the playhouse or the carpet in there Smile
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:59 pm

When we were getting the boarding shed ready Mike used Kingspan insulation first.

Had to replace charlies walls grrr 12-8-10003-1

Then boarded over the top

Had to replace charlies walls grrr 18-9-102-1

Then painted it white

Had to replace charlies walls grrr 29-9-10002

And now finished 'Keegans Kabin'.

Had to replace charlies walls grrr 25-4-11003

We bought an off cut of lino for about £20-£30 for the floor.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:12 pm

Maysie, your Mike is a right treasure! Laughing That is just fabulous. ^^
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Maysie - that is just fabulous Very Happy We have used the Kingspan stuff too - it is the plywood for boarding out that is soooo expensive I seem to remember.

Money and space permitting I would love a set up like your's and Mikes. When we move out of the 'family home' into something smaller I will be insisting on moving to somewhere with a flat back garden so the bunnies can have something similar. (Not told Chris yet though!)
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down