Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worried about Bunny

+2
racheld69
proudmummy
6 posters

Go down

Worried about Bunny Empty Worried about Bunny

Post by proudmummy Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi,

When we first got Bunny, he lived in his hutch for about 10 days before we got a run to attach to it. His hutch has 2 separate compartments - the sleeping area with plain door where we put all the hay for him to be comfy on and the other area with the wire to see out where his food bowl and toys are.

Since we got his run, which is against his hutch so he is free to go in the run or his hutch, he seems to sleep outside! Is this normal? He must have slept in the bedroom bit before we got the run? The hay isn't always flatter in his hutch bedroom so we wonder whether he does sleep in there - there are always a little crowd of poos in there but that could mean he uses it as toilet area. Do you think he is confused about where to sleep or do you think he just likes sleeping outside? Even in rain or wind he chooses to sleep outside all night. He has a lot of hay in the corner of the run outside that I put down to make him comfortable, after we realised that he slept outside.

He is quite tricky to get back into hutch/run at night, especially if he has been indoors with us (when we at home, he has free run of garden and our conservatory/front room).

My husband stays up quite late and I often wake during the early hours and we look out and there he is, outside. He doesn't seem affected but we just worry that he may get cold being outside all night.

Sorry for waffling but having never had a rabbit before, its all new to us.

Any help, advice etc would be appreciated.
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2271
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Worried about Bunny Empty Re: Worried about Bunny

Post by racheld69 Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:51 pm

hmm well i would say as long as he has access to somewhere warm and cozy then he will go in if he gets cold. if he is going to the loo in his bedroom you could put a litter tray in there and then once he is using that move it to the area you want him to use as the loo in the hutch (with poos in so he knows it is his loo).
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:54 pm

Hi

All the hutch bunnies I have ever had have used their bedroom as a toileting area....I'm almost convinced they like the privacy! It's not unusual for them to lie in the open, especially at dusk and dawn as this is when they are more active. They like to see whats going on and being outside makes this easier for them.

It's not a problem as long as he has shelter from the elements and you are sure his run is secure against predators. Personally because my buns do not have an adjoined run they are always put in at dusk.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnymum Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:57 pm

My rabbits seem more lively at night and since they have access to a run 24/7 (they never used to) they seem to be outside whenever we check on them, i'm sure he would go into his hutch if he really wanted to - maybe now that it is getting colder at night he will use his hutch more often. Smile
bunnymum
bunnymum
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:04 pm

Hello and welcome,

In answer to your questions can I reassure you that none of our current bunnies have used what we would term the sleeping compartment for sleeping in! I guess what we would consider the warmest, driest area for a bedroom doesn't appeal to them in that way - perverse little creatures!

I also think, given a choice bunnies prefer access to the great outdoors 24/7. Ours are shut in at night tho as we border on the moors and have seen a fox in the garden. If you feel your bun is safe out at night then I know other bunny mums (and dads) leave their bunnies out. You might want to use a tarpaulin to keep the worst of the rain off the run. During colder months tho I personally think bunnies are best snuggled up in a hutch.

Another suggestion is to think about a bunny friend for your Bunny, the best way for a bunny to keep warm is to snuggle up to another! They are also great company for each other when us owners aren't around.

Hope this helps,
Vanessa
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:13 am

My bunnies too have always preferred the 'sleeping' area as a toilet. Maybe they really do like the privacy. Mine also like to be outside during rain, snow, hail whatever the weather they will more likely than not just sit out in it.

As people have said, as long as Bunny is secure it shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't have thought.
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Worried about Bunny Empty Thank you!

Post by proudmummy Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:53 am

Wow thank you all for your replies!

I feel so much better ... clearly Buns loves to be outside Smile His hutch/run is secure although we didn't research so much in our excitement at getting him for DD, so we have ordered him a new posher, securer one where is hutch is raised (at the mo, it is on ground). We do put a cover over him if raining - he is quite a prince, we bought a cheap Tescos waterproof gazebo that currently resides over his hutch and run!! In the winter, we will put him in garage overnight probably - we don't keep car in there so it is safe. But may also invest in a hutch cover which I know you can get.

Funnily enough, he has a teddy bunny in the hutch that my DD bought him for company. We thought maybe it scared him which is why he sleeps outside but we didn't want to remove it, in case it didn't and he missed it!

He is off tomorrow night and Saturday night to a bunny boarding place so we are worrying a bit that he will be okay but we need this weekend away!

Thanks again everyone.

I love the Bunny piccies.. am going to try to get one of our Buns but don't have photoshop so may have to try to do it elsewhere.

PM xx Thumbs Up Wink Laughing Laughing
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:50 pm

i love your avatar piccy! cute!
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:20 pm

Aww thanks.... trying to upload some more at the mo. That is his most relaxed position.
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down