Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help and opinions on Dougals ear drops

4 posters

Go down

Need help and opinions on Dougals ear drops Empty Need help and opinions on Dougals ear drops

Post by BugsBunny Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:37 pm

So when we went the vets on Sat for dougals pst check up from his neuter i had mentioned to hte vets that Dougal had been scracthing his ear a lot and last time they suspected mites. I asked the vet to check them and he said they where inflamed inside the ear and it was unusual for rabbits. The ear drops he prescribed are canaural and Dougal being dougal he bolts it and gets stressed when I put it in so when he does this and moves like mad and shakes his head it misses and goes no the inside of the ear on the edg and then he scratches it and spreads it and licks his paws. He has a greasy look all over his face and ears now form spreading it around every time since saturday. My worry is if it will cause him to be ill or anything with not just being in his ear as it is for cats and dogs. Some of you will probably have used it on your buns.

I am supposed to use it twice a day for a week, does anyone think I should just do it once a day rather than twice or just do it until sat twice a day as vet said with it getitng all over and him getting so stressed? i cannot touch his ears now or go near his head without him panicing even when I am just going to stroke him. i do manage but worry about him licking it off his paws and being on his face. If it is all over will it not be a good idea to limit it to once a day?

I cannot trick him either, he just knows when I am going to do it.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Need help and opinions on Dougals ear drops Empty Re: Need help and opinions on Dougals ear drops

Post by FluffSlave Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:43 pm

I'm sorry hun, I've got no experience with ear drops so can't offer any advice or suggestions Sad

I'd maybe give your vet a ring and explain the situation. They might be able to offer some alternatives or suggestions...

I'm sure some of the other hoppers will be able to offer advice Hugs

Hope you're both ok xxxx
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Need help and opinions on Dougals ear drops Empty Re: Need help and opinions on Dougals ear drops

Post by BugsBunny Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:51 pm

No probs Hun

I am just concerned with it being on him on his face etc is all, thanks, he is great otherwise and I am kinda, not been well for a bit.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:13 am

Easier said than done I know, but it is time that Dougal learnt to cooperate a little.

I suggest backing him into a corner. Towel/blanket over the top. Wrap him up well and then expose only the ear to get the drops in. Then let him go immediately followed with a treat.

I do know where you are coming from with this. Flo was a nightmare when she was younger but regular handling has improved her attitude and I only really handle her to do important things and she has learnt that.

I wouldn't worry too much about the drops going on his face as long as they don't go in his eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Littleboots Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 am

Could you get someone to hold on to him for you while you put the drops in? Ive the worlds worst bunny here for handling and no way could I ever do her single handed.
Littleboots
Littleboots
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:36 pm

It can take a long time for a bunny to let you handle them.  We've had Rory almost a year now and he still will not let me hold him.  I can pet him and brush him as long as there are noms involved.  This has taken a very long time.  Had our middle granddaughter not worked with him intensely to get him to do 'tricks' we'd never be able to be close to him.

The last two nights he has jumped up and snuggled against my legs to watch TV-no noms involved. But it was getting chilly so I imagine that was why but it was fine with me!

I just started getting him to hop up on the bed for some treats.  Most of the time the 'treats' were just part of his pellet ration.  I slowly started trying to pet different parts of him.  I read that some rabbits are ticklish when petted and that was like his reaction.  I can pet and check him anywhere except his paws.  We are still working on that!.

I guess I haven't helped you much with your ear drop problem, but  noms work wonders!  Good luck with your ear drop challenge!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:32 pm

Dougal is great other than the picking up and he hates the feeling of the drops, found it easier today as he loves banana and he does not get it often but managed to get 2 drops in each ear this time. He lets me do anything else though and the only thing he does not like apart form being lifted is his feet being tocuhed , like Rory Holly he msut be very ticklish there as as soon as you toucht them he hides them. He has always let me groom him, play silly games, even put my head on him and arms round but not ciddling just lose as I pretend to traph im and leave a gap so he can escape, not in a scary way, he loves it. I can even lift his tail, brush it and he love bieng brushed. he lies down for mea  lot or backs up into me to let me, he jumps on yet knee when you tewll him, he gets on his stoll, ikn the carrier and if i say back he moves back, all things me and stye have taught him and of course No Laughing Laughing Laughing . He is brilliant in every sense but getting him treated with meds. Vet said he will more than likely let me pick him uo now he is neutered and can take up to 3 weeks for testosterone to all go so I am giving him more time to heal as he is healing well and will work on it but he picks up things like Rory fast, he learsn and I think with time he will let me pick him up. When we went vets for check up he never even flapped about when he did it and stayed completely still with me getly holding him on the table too.

I know with time it will be easier and fine and Holly it is a help, I know I am not the only one who struggles with certain thihngs with a stubborn bun sometimes Laughing Laughing . But I also know given time he will be great, he really is a littl love too. I dont know if he will  even like his feet being tocuhed and bey too much but he will be better for everything else. I know it. I can put my hands under his belly and keep them there when he is stood up and stuff though so really for the amount of time we have had him and lettingh me groom him and go round the butt area right from the get go he has done well.

I love Rory Holly he is so cute and sounds great. I am glad he is cuddling up to you and he is learning well, naybe ya can video him doing some tricks somteime? Thumbs Up .

buns are so amazing on how fast they learn arnt they.

My concern was not as much as holding him in place to get them in but just making sure that it being on fur elsewhere and stuff wont harm him. I have ways to distracvt him and the towel suggesiton and stuff is great and maybe 1 day I will have to do that but if I want to keep his trust and earn more like fer being picked up I do not want to screw that up and break that bond and time we have been putting in to teach him things and ruin it being able to ever be able to handle him. But thanks for all the help Hoppers, very much appreciated. I just worry too much and did not want him getting ill from it is all. He did not seem as bothered when I did it when he was nomming banana down Laughing Laughing Laughing . Tomorrow if wil have to be veg or herbs. Do not want to give him more sugar, even though it is only a bit.

oh an ye ste help distract him for me but he is mostly blind from stroke so he can only help to an extent but ye he does help a lot and he keeps dougal calm as he does not try and attack him with drops and stuff Laughing Laughing Laughing . I know it is way too hard to try things on yer own sometimes with buns.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down