Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sneezing

+2
Sixer
gentl
6 posters

Go down

Sneezing Empty Sneezing

Post by gentl Sat May 31, 2014 5:16 pm

Guinness is having sneezing fits.  He really scared me this morning since it lasted so long.  There is no nasal discharge, no crusty nose or eye. There is no evidence of discharge on his paws.  He has no fever.  Eating and pooping well.  Running around exploring and having fun.  He's had 6 or do of these in the 5 days we have had him.  The sneezing didn't start until we let him out of the bathroom to explore the bedroom.

Doesn't snuffles cause nasal disocharge and often runny eyes?   Could it just be dust?  He's also found places where there was still fur from Rory that we didn't see when we cleaned.  He gets in the tiniest places.

Suggestions Hoppers.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Sneezing Empty Re: Sneezing

Post by Sixer Sat May 31, 2014 6:11 pm

It could be dust but given he was allowed to be bitten in his previous home I am guessing that the owner was not as committed to rabbit welfare as one would hope or like. I think then that snuffles could be a real possibility.  I would think that if the sneezing persists it would maybe a good idea to get him checked over by a vet.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat May 31, 2014 6:39 pm

I agree with sixer, I would go the vets just to be safe anyways. If he is the same tomorrow.

Sending vibes for sneezing just in case he needs it.

Hugs  Hugs  Hugs  Hugs  Hugs 

BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat May 31, 2014 7:57 pm

I'll book him with the vet as soon as I can get the rabbit savvy one.  I don't trust the others.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sat May 31, 2014 10:07 pm

Bertie does have sneezing fits about twice a week. He produces one blop of white sputum thats it.
Checked with the vet, doesn't think it snuffles. No discharge, no dirty paws! So a big???

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat May 31, 2014 10:35 pm

He could have an allergy to something, have you got him on shavings at all? Have you had a look up his nose, as Keegan our Bridge bunny sneezed every day for weeks and it got worse and we kept taking him to the vets and then one time she got the tweezers and pulled a long piece of hay out of his nose and he didn't sneeze again.

Is his eyes running at all? are there any air fresheners or scented candles in any rooms he goes in?

Usually with Snuffles they get a white discharge from the nose. I think if it carry's on I would let the vet have a look at him to be on the safe side Holly  Hugs  Hugs 

Sending him 'Non sneezing' Vibes xxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sat May 31, 2014 11:46 pm

You have my sympathies, sneezing fits are horrible to witness and you feel awful not really being able to help Sad

I would definitely get it checked out at the vets, as others have said it could be snuffles or a stray piece of hay lodged up there.

Sending Guiness lots of vibes  Hugs 

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:57 am

Tuckerbunnies wrote:He could have an allergy to something, have you got him on shavings at all? Have you had a look up his nose, as Keegan our Bridge bunny sneezed every day for weeks and it got worse and we kept taking him to the vets and then one time she got the tweezers and pulled a long piece of hay out of his nose and he didn't sneeze again.

Is his eyes running at all? are there any air fresheners or scented candles in any rooms he goes in?

Usually with Snuffles they get a white discharge from the nose. I think if it carry's on I would let the vet have a look at him to be on the safe side Holly  Hugs  Hugs 

Sending him 'Non sneezing' Vibes xxxx
The pic I got of him from the previous owner shows him on shavings of some.sort.  They didn't look like cedar but could have been pine. That could explain a lot.  He licks his nose immediately after his sneezing fits but I don't see snot.   They do sound like allergy sneezes.   Not like he is trying to get something out. I will try to look up his nose.  He's such a little lovie.  He was good as gold when we clipped his nails and when I checked deep in his ears.  Could it be my scented body spray?  Except for one time he has always been on the floor or in his hay nesting box.  We use unscented paper pellet litter.

He's just had 3 short bursts of sneezing today.  I'm currently leaning towards dust.  He started ripping the sheet rock and that made a ton of dust.  We now have lovely cardboard up around the walls again. What is it about walls that they find so darn interesting?   Rip! Tear!  Scratch!

His eyes are not runny or crusty.  He likes to nuzzle in my hair too and I use scented products.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:37 pm

I would think it is probably a dust/hay issue. Bruce sneezes quite often and it is always in the vicinity of his hay. Sometimes it seems to go on forever. The vet says Bruce is fine and healthy and suggested wetting the hay if it got worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down