Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bertie at Christmas? UD Thanks for the travel info it worked

+9
NickieM
Rice
Happy Hoppers
rallybunny
Snowy
Laura
racheld69
buddabun
Jay
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bertie at Christmas? UD Thanks for the travel info it worked - Page 2 Empty Re: Bertie at Christmas? UD Thanks for the travel info it worked

Post by Jay Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:45 am

Can you guys help me out here, I'm not sure what normal travel stress is and what excessive travel stress is. When he's in his carrier in the car, I can see that his hert rate is faster, he lies quite still, doesn't panic, but he's clearly not enjoying it. As soon as he's out of the car he's OK. He's done an hour journey before but he normally has me stroking his head.
Is this undue stress? I am prepared to stay at home if this journey is too much for him, but i don't have anything to compare to.
I've heard that 'Rescue remedy' can help, anyone know?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Bertie at Christmas? UD Thanks for the travel info it worked - Page 2 Empty Re: Bertie at Christmas? UD Thanks for the travel info it worked

Post by Josephine Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:07 pm

When we moved from Eastleigh to Sidmouth, we were really worried as the rabbits showed the signs of stress you have described, even on the short journey to the vets. They always took a long time to calm down when they got home too. At that time we had 3 bunnies, so we put 2 of them in a smallish carrier lined with old towels, so that they would not slip around. Benjamin was not in the best of health, so I was really concerned about him. Anyway I sat him on my knee for the whole journey and he was as good as gold. They all recovered from the 3 hour journey and settled into their new home very quickly. I don't know if this is any help to you Jay.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:43 pm

I've found that Rescue Remedy does work, put it in his water a couple of days before he sets off, his body will only take as much as it needs and will eliminate the rest in his urine.

Our Smokey was the same, if he could have been sick when he was in the car he would have been, but once he'd arrived at his destination, he was as bright as a button after a wee rest. Funnily enough, he was a rex too Hmmm
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rice Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:34 pm

Piper absolutely hates car travel and she has a hard time of it. Just the ten minute drive to the vets stresses her out. She gets very quiet and shakey when she's in her carrier and by the time we get home she is just a wreck Sad It usually takes her a couple hours to get back to normal and even then she's mad at me for a solid day afterwards.

It sounds like Bertie isn't quite as bad as Piper Hmmm He doesn't seem affected afterwards so that has to be a good sign.
Rice
Rice
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2718
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:13 am

Jay wrote:Can you guys help me out here, I'm not sure what normal travel stress is and what excessive travel stress is. When he's in his carrier in the car, I can see that his hert rate is faster, he lies quite still, doesn't panic, but he's clearly not enjoying it. As soon as he's out of the car he's OK. He's done an hour journey before but he normally has me stroking his head.
Is this undue stress? I am prepared to stay at home if this journey is too much for him, but i don't have anything to compare to.
I've heard that 'Rescue remedy' can help, anyone know?

Most of my rabbits are the same (except for Mack who actually flops & stretches out in transit) and I have always considered them to be good travellers. I have had rabbits come here for bonding who have obviously been stressed out by the journey and they are generally withdrawn, skittish and breathing rapidly on arrival....it often takes them hours to settle down again.

If Bertie is fine once he is out of transit then I wouldn't consider him a bad traveller, but as Lynda said Rescue Remedy won't do him any harm even if he dosn't actually need it. Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:13 am

Thanks guys, that's helpful, and I'll try the Rescuse remedy Smile He starts his adventure on Tuesday, it'll be very weird here without him for a couple of days, but you know, the littel guy deserves a holiday, he's had a very difficult year, what being made destitute for a few months and having to share his space with an oik Embarassed Laughing Wink
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:43 am

Bless him!

I hope he has a wonderful holiday and that he recovers from the travelling swiftly!
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:02 am

Tell Bert's I'm quite jealous of him - he's not the only one who could use a holiday! Tibbs and Truffles have stopped speaking to me now they know other bunnies get holidays!

I've used rescue remedy on the dogs before now and it does seem to work.

Big Bertie bunny cuddles xx
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:08 am

Laughing those norty buns, you could put a spin on it that at least they aren't being deserted by you at Christmas.... Embarassed
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:12 am

They'd see that as a downside!!! Laughing

They're already cheesed off that they only see me at weekends now because I leave for work in the dark and get back in the dark!
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:20 am

KathyT wrote:They'd see that as a downside!!! Laughing

They're already cheesed off that they only see me at weekends now because I leave for work in the dark and get back in the dark!

I really must get back into saying that again, love that phrase!
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:08 pm

Glad that you have Bertie sorted.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:25 am

I just wanted to say Thank-you for all your tips for lessening the stresson Bertie's trip yesterday. I used every suggestion, and the difference was really quite startling Very Happy

I gave him a couple of drops of rescue remedy in his water for the last 3 days. We put newspaper then a towel on top in his carrier. and put him on the back at one side, belted the carrier in & made it level with another towel underneath.
I sat on the other side, and put a towel on the middle seat. Because I was sat facing the carrier and him, we removed the cage front and left it open the whole journey. He had a little tiny bowl with a little bit of water in the bottom as well, which I kept filling up, he drank quite a bit.

Overall he was completely chilled out. He just last there facing me and I talked to him and stroked his head a lot, and he only came out onto the other towel once for a stretch, then we went back in.
His heart was racing every now and then, but nothing like usual, and he really did seem quite relaxed Smile
Thanks guys Thumbs Up
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:10 am

Glad to hear Berts was fine on the trip....I get horredously travel sick myself so really sympathise with animals who don't travel well as they don't even have a clue whats happening to them.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2