Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

christmas travel advice needed!

5 posters

Go down

christmas travel advice needed! Empty christmas travel advice needed!

Post by lizzi_b Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Ok so we are here at home for Christmas, but heading up to my mums in derby between Christmas and new year for about 3 days! What I need advice with is what do I do with buttons when we are away?

I've finally been to the other boarding place near me today and the woman was lovely (reminded me a lot of maysie!) She used to be a rabbit rescue, but had to stop as there were just too many and was costing too much! She also had a load of buns still there from when she was a rescue, which was really sad, as there was one which looked identical to Pud!! Sad She had a fab set up and huge space for the buns to run around, but the shed they were in was freezing! (fine for rabbits used to living outside) when I said he was a house bun she was like yea it'll be way too cold for him here and sadly she didn't have anywhere for him indoors!

She asked where we were going and said why aren't we taking him with us? well I was stumped, I just thought 5 1/2 hours was too long to travel with a bun?! scratch

Now Ziggy has passed on, there is no dangers of having Buttons up there with us, but will the car journey not freak him out?

The other option is to take him to my OH's parents house (round the corner from us!) but they don't really care much about him, they are the kind of people who think any pet apart from a dog is pointless!! And would mean I would have to get out the rubbish small indoor cage for him to be in and chances are they wouldn't let him out for the whole 3 days we are away!! scratch

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

christmas travel advice needed! Empty Re: christmas travel advice needed!

Post by icedancer Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:39 pm

I'd be tempted to take him with you tbh. What's he like in his pet carrier? If he's content enough in it, and you were travelling during the day chances are he might doze off. If it's an ok size, so room for hay and a water bottle, and perhaps a toy or two, I'm sure he'd be ok. Also, he'd be better off once you were there, than travel just around the corner and stay cooped up for three days.

I've been tempted in the past, and I have no idea if it would work, to put a dog guard up in the car and then have the boot of the car as like a little pen for journeys, then put a carrier in there for taking the bunny to and from the car. I'm not sure how safe it would be in case of an accident, which is why I've never done it as I'm too much of a wuss.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:57 pm

I know I'm such a wuss too! I'm so scared about stressing him out! but as the woman at the boarding place said, she has had seen house buns before go into shock and stress themselves out just from being away from their owners because they are used to being around their owners most of the time!! I would put him in the old indoor cage in the boot so he has plenty of space, hay and water, as well as toys and space! I would hope he would just sleep, but i'm just so worried about him being scared and stressed!!

ugh, I hate making decisions!! Hissy Laughing
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:01 pm

I think I'd probably take him with you, unless you find someone who will be a good surrogate bunny mumma/dadda for a few days. As Icedancer says, give him lots of hay, a roomy carry cage and toys . Better he his with his mummy if he can be Very Happy

I live in Derby btw, can I visit Buttons if he comes Wink

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:03 pm

If he's in his old cage he'll have plenty of room and I'm sure he'll be fine.

Florence went to my mum and dads once in her cage in the car, and my seats don't fold down flat so it was a sort of see-saw effect Embarassed She was absolutely fine, and wasn't bothered in the slightest. If anything she was hopping around looking around. The hardest part was carrying the thing, and getting it in the car.

Go for it. You'll be happier that Buttons is with you, and he'll be happier being with you. Why not try at the weekend to put his old cage in the car at the weekend and drive for say half hour to see how he reacts?
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:39 pm

I know of people who take their buns on holiday with them. I would think he would be fine as long as she has water and food. I would fold the seats half down and put the cage in sideways so he can see you and you can see him.

I would have had Buttons to stay but I suspect I won't be back from my Christmas away when you are passing me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:07 pm

What a shame you are not nearer to us as we do indoor boarding for housebuns and we have 'Keegans Kabin' the boarding shed which has heating and play pens and music for them to listen to Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:20 pm

I too would be seriously considering taking him with me Thumbs Up

Hopefully he would enjoy a little adventure Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:54 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I know of people who take their buns on holiday with them. I would think he would be fine as long as she has water and food. I would fold the seats half down and put the cage in sideways so he can see you and you can see him.

I would have had Buttons to stay but I suspect I won't be back from my Christmas away when you are passing me.

Thanks Cheryl, What are you doing with Bruce and Flo while you are away? I will see what my OH says to putting the seats down, as he has a BMW coupé and so he has a massive boot and might be reluctant to put the seats down, but I was thinking the same, but I wondered if the dark of the boot might make him feel safe and fall asleep?! I would keep insisting to stop at service stations to check on him though!!

Tuckerbunnies wrote:What a shame you are not nearer to us as we do indoor boarding for housebuns and we have 'Keegans Kabin' the boarding shed which has heating and play pens and music for them to listen to Smile

I know I wish anywhere down here did boarding like you do for indoor buns, but a lot of people still don't understand the concept of indoor rabbits!!

I just hope relocating him for a couple of days so far won't freak him out too much! I'm just such a worrier!!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:04 pm

Next door are coming in to see to them - the people with the lop Flo flirts with.

Last edited by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:05 pm

The dark+the motion might make him more unsettled.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down