Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I feel sad I am missing out on house rabbit

3 posters

Go down

I feel sad I am missing out on house rabbit Empty I feel sad I am missing out on house rabbit

Post by senatorvass Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Angel & Stardust were house rabbits for a long time til we moved to this house that has a lovely enclosed garden so we made them outdoor buns & got M & C. Some of having house rabbits I loved but to be honest a lot of it was hell. They were so very destructive every single thing remotely near them was chewed to pieces and it also isnt ideal with a toddler running around. But every time one of ours comes in for a few days because they have been to the vet or something and when I see house rabbits here and on youtube etc (am thinking of the video linked to with the giant and guinea) I just feel I am really missing out on something.

Matthew though was totally burned by having them in the house they were truly very destructive and I know he would never let me have them live indoors again except for medical treatment etc.

Go on cheer me up tell me its not so bad. Sad

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

I feel sad I am missing out on house rabbit Empty Re: I feel sad I am missing out on house rabbit

Post by NickieM Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:21 pm

It is tempting to bring them in, but honestly I don't think I could cope with them eating my PC wires or furniture.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

I feel sad I am missing out on house rabbit Empty Re: I feel sad I am missing out on house rabbit

Post by bigwig Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:24 pm

Not all rabbits feel the need to chew everything within reach, but, chewing, digging, etc is natural behaviour. If you do choose to keep them indoors you have to be prepared for it - as you have found out. I have found that older buns seem to be more inclined to just ' chill ' . Maybe you could create an area in your home for your buns to come inside and play ? Another idea might be to buy a large wooden chalet, where you could add a chair and sit out with them to play. That would be an expensive option though, I guess

I have 8 indoor buns and like you I have found that they delight in wrecking what is not their's to wreck Rolling Eyes Strangely enough the stuff that is their's to wreck they respect Rolling Eyes

bigwig
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:24 pm

like your ideas bigwig Smile Will think on them! I think it will be better in the summer when I can just sit on the grass with them hopping around me as well. Right now I just feel like I feed them & look after them but not as much of the relationship as I would like.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:25 pm

NickieM wrote:It is tempting to bring them in, but honestly I don't think I could cope with them eating my PC wires or furniture.

Angel & SD did indeed eat and destroy everything. Rolling Eyes I bet Moony would be a dream but I cant very well just have her in and not the others!

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bigwig Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:24 am

senatorvass wrote:like your ideas bigwig Smile Will think on them! I think it will be better in the summer when I can just sit on the grass with them hopping around me as well. Right now I just feel like I feed them & look after them but not as much of the relationship as I would like.

I've never had outside buns, but I understand what you mean about the relationship you can have with inside buns. There's nothing quite like a chilled out rabbit stretched out across the rug or leaping on the sofa in the mornings to demand toast crusts Laughing Very Happy

You could buy a folding playpen and set that up for your buns. That way you can limit the buns access to anything ' chewable ' and it can be folded up when not in use. They are relatatively cheap, mine cost just under £40 from PAH. Its stainless steel too , so will not rust.

bigwig
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down