Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magicians and rabbits!

+2
NickieM
FudgesMummy
6 posters

Go down

Magicians and rabbits! Empty Magicians and rabbits!

Post by FudgesMummy Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:39 pm

Hi
Don't panic I am not about to join the Magic Circle or anything but I was just wondering if Magicians were still allowed to use Rabbits in their entertainment remit.

Last week, through a friend, I was introduced to a bloke who is a magician and uses a delightful little nethie in his act. Only he views her only as a prop-he hasn't had her speyed and certainly hasn't done her vacs at all. He subjects her to loud noises/childrens parties etc I really would take her in as she is totally lovely and spent a good half hour snuggled on my fleece jumper, head rested on my boob having her ears and nose stroked making that lovely content clicking sound.

My friend said to him she would be better off living with me, but he said she is his prop! Seems the rabbit he had before her was PTS when she broke her leg and couldn't work! Apparently it wasn't worth the investment to get her mended and the £26 to PTS was expensive enough. HBWS

Guys I really want your advice. I cut her nails for her on Thursday after he had done the tip her on the back to 'hyponotise her' then complained she didn't stay still. I bunny-wrapped her in a blankie and she let me do all her nails without fighting! She had stood in some soft poop and it had dried to her fur, so he was going to CUT IT OUT with HUGE KITCHEN SCISSORS as she needed to be nice and clean and white for Saturdays show! No I stopped him and gentley teased it out her fur with nails...hey you can wash your hands and bunny poop is hardly disgusting!

So please give me a clue as to where I go? I really do think she would love being a pampered house rabbit etc...anyone know any legal loop holes I could strangle him with!

As for fudge-he could smell her on my fleece but was quite content and loving so I can't seem him objecting too much!
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Magicians and rabbits! Empty Re: Magicians and rabbits!

Post by NickieM Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:45 pm

As far as I can tell from the internet, it is not illegal to use a live rabbit in a magic show. However, it does seem to be a shame as it must be quite an ordeal and if it is a nervous little bun, it mustn't like it.

All I can suggest is that you offer to help him out with the bun's care, nails etc. That way you can keep an idea on her condition.

I had a look at a site for magicians and it says that a good magician will treat the rabbit as a pet and get to know it because a happy rabbit will perform better and look happier during the act. If for no other reason, he should be looking on her as more than a prop.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by dianeh Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:08 am

just read the thread. I would assume the rabbit "prop" was well looked after and pampered all the time if there are problems, how about animal welfare issues if there are no legal implications of using her.
Diane Sad

dianeh
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:43 am

oh dear nightmare - yes if you can't persuade him then stay friendly with him and help him with her - then when the time comes that he wants to get rid of her which sounds like it will come you will be there. how old is he?
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:45 am

thats very sad isnt it. I dont know about the legalities but could we think of a "prop" for him to use instead of her and gift him with it? Then you could take the rabbit?

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:38 pm

That's dreadful - I've never heard of anything so callous as regarding a living animal as a prop.

I don't think legally there's much you can do unless you can prove welfare issues and make a quiet phonecall to the RSPCA? I would definitely stay friendly with him as far as possible, then at least you can monitor her.
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down