Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm having bunny guilt, tell me I'm doing right thing

5 posters

Go down

I'm having bunny guilt, tell me I'm doing right thing Empty I'm having bunny guilt, tell me I'm doing right thing

Post by senatorvass Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:30 pm

You have all been aware of the sage of my bunnies with regards to them being free range. They were for many many months free range in the day in my enclosed garden and in hutches at night. It got to a point where I was spending literally 3-5 hours every night trying to get them in as they just did not respond to food temptations at all. Celeste who is half wild is by far the worst - he never came in anymore and was free range 24/7. Angel would usually do what he did. Moonlight was usually a dream and Stardust tended to hop to her tune.

Well for my birthday in January Matthew built an enclosure around their hutches so overnight we could leave hutch doors open and give them more space and hopefully make them more likely to come in at night. The enclosure is 8' x 7' including 2 single storey hutches within. Well suffice it to say it did not work. Angel & Celeste were out again and I was just too stressed. We dont have foxes in our area at all but I cant stand them being loose overnight when it is dark and I am not supervising so as an emergency measure until we could think of a solution we finally got them in and kept them in (the total enclosure).

We have now designed a fantastic new enclosure for them which is cutting off the whole end of the garden giving them 128 sq ft (8' x 16') but it hasnt been built yet. We are hoping to get it done this weekend but with the weather as it is I am worried it wont be possible. So until we get it done they are in the existing enclosure 24/7.

I know in my head I am doing all I can do, I know I cant leave them out in the garden 24/7, anything could happen they could escape or who knows a fox could get in though I find it incredibly unlikely as I have lived here 5 years and never seen one. But I just cant sleep at night if they arent safe in. And I cant build the enclosure by myself in the week with Alex to look after so it has to be done when Matthew is around. I really cant think of any other way. They have been in this enclosure now for about 2 1/2 weeks and look to stay in it til at least this weekend, longer if the weather gets as grim as is predicted. I feel awful they havent got more space to run around and binky. I know they are bored.

Please tell me I am not accruing nasty evil bunny karma by keeping them in there this long. I really just dont know what else to do. It is for their own good but also for mine, I did come to the point where I said I had to put a limit on what I was willing to go through each day for them to have that freedom.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

I'm having bunny guilt, tell me I'm doing right thing Empty Re: I'm having bunny guilt, tell me I'm doing right thing

Post by NickieM Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:35 pm

Well imagine how much fun they are going to have when they get into their new mega enclosure. If they were totally freerange you would be so worried about them. You have to do the lesser of two evils. They won't die from being bored!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

I'm having bunny guilt, tell me I'm doing right thing Empty Re: I'm having bunny guilt, tell me I'm doing right thing

Post by senatorvass Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:37 pm

no. I know. And I know its still better than a lot of other bunnies get (not that that is the main benchmark) I just feel really bad about it. I really can not wait to get the enclosure done!

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:34 am

You are far from being a bad bunny mum, you are doing everything you can with their best interests at heart. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Try not to worry too much, just focus on how worthwhile it will all be when they are in their new enclosure, binkying about! Very Happy
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:35 pm

i agree- will be worth it when you unveil the 'superrun'!
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:41 pm

thank you! I really appreciate it. I really needed validation from other bunny people because I just want to do the right thing by them! I know its only temporary though. I suppose if I were on holiday and boarded them they would have similar accommodation wouldnt they? I've never done bunny boarding before.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:48 pm

They would probably be in smaller accommodation when boarded.Your bunnies (and I do love Moonlight!) are extremely well off. Even their current run is bigger than what a lot of bunnies are lucky to get. We need some piccies when the construction is completed!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:25 pm

You'll have to get an edible bunny ribbon for them to chew to declare their run open!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:49 pm

oh Nickie I love the idea of bunny ribbon!! I am putting my brain to work on what I could use... Matthew just said "wouldnt edible bunny ribbon be, ANY ribbon?" Laughing He must have read our thread about bunnies eating through mesh whatnot.

Sixer I will definitely post pics once its done!! And I am on my way to look the the link you posted to see more of your rabs!

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down