Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ears - are they a indicator of how bunny is feeling?

4 posters

Go down

Ears - are they a indicator of how bunny is feeling? Empty Ears - are they a indicator of how bunny is feeling?

Post by Jay Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:36 pm

Over the last month or so, whilst we've been having GI upsets, compactions and a poorly stressed Berts, I started to notice how much his ears change temperature. It could well be that his ears change temp a lot, (they are used for temperature regulation after all), but it seemed that when he went into a stasis type body, hunched, and still, his ears were cold, and after a while they were freezing. If I opened them out, the skin was really cold to touch. When the blockage passed and he pooped and/or ate, ears are back to normal temp, and sometime would get hot, then return to normal temp.

My figuring was that when he was feeling rough, he was keeping his body heat in and taking it away from his ears, so they were cold. When he felt OK again, he needed to release that extra heat and then bring his body back to normal temp, through his ears.

Is this my imagination, or are ears the indicator that I've come to think they could be? Anyone know Wave
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Ears - are they a indicator of how bunny is feeling? Empty Re: Ears - are they a indicator of how bunny is feeling?

Post by Catsknickers Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:49 pm

I am not sure if they are an indicator but I can confirm that Charlie's ear have been exactly the same when his tummy was blocked.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Ears - are they a indicator of how bunny is feeling? Empty Re: Ears - are they a indicator of how bunny is feeling?

Post by NickieM Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:09 pm

Must be something about regulating their core temperature.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Rabbits do lose heat through their ears so it would make sense that if they were poorly and having trouble regulating their body temperature then their ears would cool rapidly. In the majority of poorly rabbits their ears will often feel cold to the touch but incases of hyperthermia or possibly a violent infection the opposite may be true. Indeed, in rabbits suffering 'heat stroke' the first course of action, after moving them into the shade, is to apply cold flannels to the ears.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down