Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toilet Training help please

+2
bunlover
AprilGirl
6 posters

Go down

Toilet Training help please Empty Toilet Training help please

Post by AprilGirl Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi, Hope I'm putting this in the right place?
I'm new to the forum and a new Bunny Mummy, to Shadow he's a 8 week old Rex.
I really want him to be a house rabbit but my husband is a little against it as so far he has wee'd 4 times on the sette and once on an armchair Sad He just randomly poo's too. I know he is still very much a baby and I have plenty of time and patience (altho I don't know how many times I can wash the covers on my sette and chair Laughing )

Anyway he has 2 loo's one in his hutch and one for the house. I've been moving the one in his hutch to where he seems to be pooing the most as soon as I have he goes somewhere else. Can you please point me in the right direction for a successful toilet training (keep wanting to type potty training as I'm trying to potty train my 2 year old too) Lots of hints and tips will be so appreciated!
Thank you!
Emma x
AprilGirl
AprilGirl
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-06-05

Back to top Go down

Toilet Training help please Empty Re: Toilet Training help please

Post by bunlover Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:16 pm

ok here is the basic info on potty training. 1. once old enough nueter your rabbit.. the random poops and wee as well as the spraying of wee once reahes maturity is him marking his territory. then you need to constantly move the wee and poop as he does them into his litter tray (some people have 2 or 3 arounda room ) if he always goes in one place then put the litter tray there. in the litter tray have a layer of megazorb(will absorb moisture and smell) and then a layer of fresh meadow hay as this will tempt him to be in there dont worry if he eats the hay there or sleeps there this is normal!!!
also putting a treat at teh edge of the litter tray such as greens or something wil lencourage hi mto go in there. i have also found that the rabbits i have litter trained are best starting o na large tray covered in neswspaper and hay (like a lid of a storage box.. before moving to something with a lip they have to jump into ...i dont know why?! but this has worked for me good luck x

bunlover
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:33 pm

both mine are outdoor buns and both r litter trained .i use wood litter and plenty of hay it didn't take long at all.
good luck
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi Emma Wave

I think one of the most important things in the early stages is to confine your bunny to a small space (like his hutch or a dog cage in the house). Rabbits are naturally clean animals and usually choose a corner to wee and poo in - just pop the tray there. They don't like soiling their living space and so will usually just use 'their' corner.

Once Shadow has got the idea, you can gradually increase the space available to him, and he should go back to his tray when he needs to go.

If he has lots of available space just now, he will be inclined to just go anywhere, as you are finding out!

Don't worry too much, most bunnies are pretty easily trained after the initial stages, and neutering does help a lot, once they are old enough.

Once trained, they will usually always wee in their tray, and the vast majority of their poos will be there too, with just the odd stray one.

Good luck - and with the potty training! Laughing
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:48 am

Can't add anything to that but once he's neutered it will calm down. Some buns are more instinctive to toilet training than others. Getting 2 or 3 more trays and putting them around the rrom may help, as Bunlover suggested.

Bunnies are clean animals, and they poop in the same place in the wild, so he just needs to learn this so perservere, and keep showing him when you put it in the tray.

Mine was much better after neutering Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by AprilGirl Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:02 am

Thank you everyone. They are some great tips will try them out!
He's been in his hutch over night and he ignored the loo (just throws his toilet inner rolls in it Laughing )
Just been in to scoop the poo's up and put them in the loo and moved it to where he's been going, so lets see if he goes somewhere else now to avoid the toilet! Little monkey!
Emma x
AprilGirl
AprilGirl
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:08 am

Generally you need to keep him confined to his hutch or cage with a litter tray in the area that he choses to use. Use the same substrate in his litter tray(s) always and also add some hay, as bunnies like to eat whilst they relieve themselves! Laughing

Once he is getting the idea you can start to slowly enlarge the area he has to play in, again if he choses another spot he wants to toilet in put another litter tray there....if the toileting is erratic then you have expanded his area too far, too quickly. As for the sofa, I'm afraid this isn't uncommon and until he has grasped the concept the best thing to do is ban him from the sofa entirely and if he does defecate on it pop him back in his cage for a 'time out'.

He will need to be neutered as soon as his testicals decend else all your hardwork may well go out the window and he will likely start the unpleasent business of spraying too. silent
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by AprilGirl Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:24 am

Thank you Sooz,
Think I'm so desperate to have in the house he's got too much space, will leave him in his hutch today, I have loads of housework to do anyway, and hopefully he'll get the idea soon enough. He's been banned from the sofa but he does like to jump onto it, think my hubby is going to have heart attack about it soon, he's really uptight that way, I'm way more laid back, tee hee.
He's off to the vets today so will ask about the neutering, what age is it normally done?
Emma x
AprilGirl
AprilGirl
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:53 am

Usually around 4-5 months, when you can see both and they have a rounded 'full' appearence (they can look a bit like defalted balloons when they are not quite ready).
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down