Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning and Disinfecting for E Cuniculi

4 posters

Go down

Cleaning and Disinfecting for E Cuniculi Empty Cleaning and Disinfecting for E Cuniculi

Post by Rosie Rabbit Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:37 pm

As per my thread yesterday, Rosie is going to have to have another course of Panacur and in light of the new recommendations discussed at the RWA Conference, I'm looking for specific advice regarding the cleaning regime.

Like others, when I used Panacur a couple of years ago, I wasn't aware that Virkon (which I normally use) didn't kill the spores and that only bleach (and boiling water?) would. So ... I'm proposing to clean food and water bowls and her litter tray daily with a bleach solution (is 10% enough? or should I use a 1:3 solution?), then leave it for 30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. Is this sufficient on a day-to-day basis?

Also, I know to pay particular attention to the cleaning regime on days 21 and 28. I'm guessing this means bleaching pretty much everything that can be bleached - cage, runs, etc. Should I also do this before starting the Panacur or just on days 21 and 28?

One problem is that Rosie lives indoors in a carpeted room with cotton rugs on the floor. I can't see how we could disinfect them properly, so I'm going to bin them and have her on the carpet which will be steam cleaned on days 21 and 28. Will this be sufficient do you think?

Should I bin things like her big cardboard tube? And can toys made of wood be bleached or should they go?

I know all this is an inexact science and it's pretty much impossible to be sure of eradicating all the spores, but I want to make sure I do the best I can. Sorry for all the questions, but I'd welcome your views.

Thanks Wave

ETA - I was going to Panacur her for 4 weeks, but am unsure if I should make it 6 now. Hmmm If I do, does the regime carried out on days 21 and 28 need carried out on day 42 again, ie at the end of the course?

My head hurts now. No
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Cleaning and Disinfecting for E Cuniculi Empty Re: Cleaning and Disinfecting for E Cuniculi

Post by NickieM Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:18 pm

Should I bin things like her big cardboard tube? And can toys made of wood be bleached or should they go?

I don't really know much about the panacur regime, but I would think that you would have to bin the cardboard tube and it would be very difficult to disinfect wood. Probably best to bin them too.

Hope she is well again as EC isn't a nice thing to have.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Cleaning and Disinfecting for E Cuniculi Empty Re: Cleaning and Disinfecting for E Cuniculi

Post by Rosie Rabbit Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Thanks Nickie, that's as I thought really. I'm getting stressed out thinking of the cleaning routine and I haven't even started yet! Rolling Eyes Laughing
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:56 am

Sooz has posted that the 1:3 bleach solution is needed on Rachel's thread.

I would be tempted to bleach runs etc as you start the Panacur as well as days 21 and 28 as an extra precaution. As for day 42 - I don't know scratch I guess I would feel the more bleaching you can manage the better! I don't envy you - I hate the smell of bleach.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:49 pm

Thank you. Smile I'm wondering if the 1:3 solution of bleach is a new thing from the conference, as I'd only heard of a 10% solution before. I'll use the stronger stuff though.

I think we'll bleach everything before we start too - as you say, can't do any harm. Just wondering if the 21 and 28 day clean should be moved to days 35 and 42 if we're doing the full 6 weeks of treatment. scratch Arrghhh! Hissy
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahP Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:46 pm

Gawd it's so complicated. Sad

I don't remember anything about bleach from the conference (not that I was there, but I mean in all the discussions afterwards).
SarahP
SarahP
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down