Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diet portions...

2 posters

Go down

Diet portions... Empty Diet portions...

Post by ElleyMay Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:15 am

Hello everyone,

I feel like I'm getting varying answers when I ask people about Brynn's diet, and honestly I've come to find that you all give the best advice... so I'm asking...

Brynn is pretty tiny (she is supposedly a dwarf/miniature rex. cross.. but all I know for sure is that she she is small). I've looked at numerous websites, talked to rabbit savvy friends and my vet (whom I don't necessarily agree with all the time) but I'm still lost as to what I should really be doing in terms of her portion sizes. Here is what she is getting now, please let me know if you think this is acceptable:

Timothy Hay: All the time.
Pellets: 1/3 cup in the a.m. (I was feeding her 1/2 cup but the vet suggested I lower it because of her size)
Veggies: A heaping bowl in the p.m. (I'm pretty sure I'm not giving her too little, and I assume I'm not giving her too much because her poops aren't runny)
Treats: a small piece of fruit or carrots 1 - 2 times per week

As always, thanks, and much appreciated!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Diet portions... Empty Re: Diet portions...

Post by Jay Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:23 am

Hi Elley May,
How old is Brynn now? If I remember rightly, she's still quite young? and do you know her weight?
I'm a bit unsure about her breed description - is a dwarf/miniture rex cross different or the same as a Mini rex? (anyone know?) Only a Mini Rex is a cross of Rex and Netherland dwarf.

If she's a mini Rex, she'll be a medium size bun and at maturity (about 1 year) should weigh around 1.8 - 2.0 kg's

If she's not, then I'm unsure about her weight guide, I'm sure someone else will help with that Smile

Is she perstering you for food an hour or so before you feed her?
Growing buns certainly need more food than adult ones, and they are a lot better at processing high protein foods than adults. If you're worried about her weight, you could try her on Alphalpha hay.
The House Rabbit Society recommends starting baby bunnies on alfalfa hay and introducing grass hays by 6-7 months, gradually decreasing the alfalfa until the rabbit is solely on grass hays by 1 year. Alfalfa hay is higher in calcium and protein and lower fiber than the grass hays, although many owners find their rabbits prefer alfalfa hays. If your adult rabbit is used to alfalfa hay, try mixing alfalfa with a grass hay to start and gradually reduce the amount of alfalfa.

I think (I'd wait for conformation about this) that as a growing bun you can give her more pellets. But I wouldn't know how much to increase by.

Hope some of that helps Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:35 pm

Jay wrote: How old is Brynn now?

Almost 6 months

Jay wrote: do you know her weight?
3.2 lbs... which I think is about 1.5 kg's

Jay wrote: I'm a bit unsure about her breed description - is a dwarf/miniture rex cross different or the same as a Mini rex?
I'm unsure too!! At the store they said she was a mini rex cross... but she doesn't have fur like a rex and I don't know what she is crossed with.

Jay wrote: Is she perstering you for food an hour or so before you feed her?
No, it usually takes her the majority of the day to finish her pellets. She obviously snacks on hay during the night because so much of it is gone in the morning. She gets excited about her veggies but never seems to get insistent until I go into the kitchen to cut them up (because she can smell them).

Jay wrote:I think (I'd wait for conformation about this) that as a growing bun you can give her more pellets
That's what I thought too thus why I was giving her 1/2 cup, but the vet thought I should decrease it as well as websites that suggest:
Many experienced rabbit veterinarians are now recommending no more than 1/8 cup of quality pellets per 5 lbs. of rabbit per day, and some even consider commercial pellets a "treat food" that can promote obesity in spayed/neutered adult rabbits.
If that website is right than I am still giving Brynn too many pellets (or maybe not because she is a baby?!?!).

I'm quite sure that I am not underfeeding her (although obviously let me know if you think I am!!), but I definitely don't want to overfeed her.

Thanks for the info Jay!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:31 pm

It look as if the guide to pellets relates to an adult bun. pellets were designed to fatten up buns for breeding, and there is certainly a movement, supported by various eminemt bunny people, to remove pellets from a buns diet altogether, but it really comes down to your choice, and what Brynn likes. Certain buns won't eat any veggies, others aren't keen on hay, so pellets (good high fibre ones) can be useful.

When Berts was growing, we fed him more, after a year or so (we were never sure of his correct age) we reduced down to a small handful for brekky (with veg & Hay) and a couple for treats with supper, but Berts has a healthy appetite for greens and hay, so this worked better for him.

If her cost doesn't feel like a Rex's, then she won't be a Mini rex, but I now understand the breeding Cross. By her 6 month weight, I'd suggest (but I really don't know this, so don't quote me on it) that she'll be a medium sized bun, and will probably gain another 1/2 kg or so over the next 6 months. I kept records of berties weight each month, and at 6 months, he was the same as Brynn.

It used to be said that young buns can eat as much as they want, but I think that advice has changed now too, so it does get confusing, amongst many other conflicting things you'll read on the web Sad

If she isn't pestering you, then she probably isn't that hungry?
I think more experienced bunny folk will be able to give you more relevant answers though Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down