Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And now Herbie - spare vibes please- update

+6
Rosie Rabbit
Catsknickers
Happy Hoppers
Jay
Becki
Sixer
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

And now Herbie - spare vibes please- update Empty And now Herbie - spare vibes please- update

Post by Sixer Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:11 am

Herbie has been picky with his food over the last couple of days so he had a visit to the vets this morning.

I have left him to have his molars rasped, he has one spiky spur and a couple of smaller ones. The vet couldn't see the furthest molars in detail. She will X-ray his jaw if his teeth look worse when she is able to have a better look.

If you have any spare vibes can you send them Herbie's way, this is his second dental. I know he has two GA's in the past with no probs, but it still is a worry Sad

Oh Sad

Vet has just phoned, managed to cut Herbie's mouth whilst clipping two of the spurs rather than rasping them.
Wanted me to keep him separate from Hollie for two days so that baytril could be put in his water rather than given by syringe. I discounted this as Herbie and Hollie are really close and I don't think separating them is a good idea.

However Herbie detests being syringed, I just hope to goodness I don't have to syringe feed him too Sad Sad Sad

Last edited by Sixer on Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

And now Herbie - spare vibes please- update Empty Re: And now Herbie - spare vibes please- update

Post by Becki Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:21 pm

Awww No. These teeth are a real pain! Hoping Herbie gets through the next few days just fine - Have you heard anything yet?? XX
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

And now Herbie - spare vibes please- update Empty Re: And now Herbie - spare vibes please- update

Post by Sixer Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:25 pm

Yes, just added update to original post. Not the best news Sad
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:31 pm

Sixer wrote:Yes, just added update to original post. Not the best news Sad

Oh No, Thats not very nice Sad I'm Sure you'll get him through it alright though, lots of really soft smelly food that he can lap at I guess, rather than eat? Poor little man, Bet the vet feels soo bad Sad Tons of cuddles for Herbie, Hun xxx
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:19 pm

Herbie is back home with Hollie now. He is very flat and subdued. Poor little man, I guess his mouth is more sore now than before he went to the vets.

He did try to nibble some plantain but wasn't really very interested. They did say he was eating Excel pellets at the vets. I will let him snuggle with Hollie for a bit and check on him in a little while. Am off to the shops to get some baby food in just in case he won't eat on his own Sad
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:23 pm

Oh poor little guy Sad Big vibes for you all x
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:58 pm

Oh dear, I hope he feels better soon. What was the vet trying to clip them with that actually cut his mouth....obviously rasping is a little better but otherwise I thought Bone Roungers were a pretty safe option as they crumble the spurs away rather than cut and as they are blunt they don't risk cutting the soft oral tissues.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 pm

I don't know, I didn't ask the question. She said that she clipped two spurs and rasped the others, tho when I picked Herbie up the vet nurse didn't mention clipping only rasping. She also commented on how small Herbie's mouth is Hmmm I guess as a reason for the damage.

The vet hadn't really seen the molars furthest back when examining him earlier and one of the more troublesome spurs was on this molar. Given the position and Herbie's size I am surprised that clipping was attempted. All in all not very satisfactory.

Herbie has perked up now and has licked some critical care/baby food from a spoon albeit reluctantly and managed one basil leaf. If he shows no interest in his favourite meal of the day later I will try and persuade him to have some more baby food then.

What a worry Sad
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:08 pm

Oh Vanessa, thinking of you. These bunnies know how to stress us and when they get ill, the decide to do it all together. Hugs xxx
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:32 pm

Aww well Im very surprised hes even attempted to eat, Hes a brave boy!! I always find mushing a banana up into a pulp works wonders, Greedy little things! Hoping he perks up more and more xx
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:41 pm

Oh I'm sorry about Herbie. Sad What a shame - and what a worry these buns are! Sad

It's a good sign that he's attempted to eat a tiny amount - really hope he manages more later. Sending lots of eating vibes for the wee soul.x
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Sixer wrote:I don't know, I didn't ask the question. She said that she clipped two spurs and rasped the others, tho when I picked Herbie up the vet nurse didn't mention clipping only rasping. She also commented on how small Herbie's mouth is Hmmm I guess as a reason for the damage.

The vet hadn't really seen the molars furthest back when examining him earlier and one of the more troublesome spurs was on this molar. Given the position and Herbie's size I am surprised that clipping was attempted. All in all not very satisfactory.

Herbie has perked up now and has licked some critical care/baby food from a spoon albeit reluctantly and managed one basil leaf. If he shows no interest in his favourite meal of the day later I will try and persuade him to have some more baby food then.

What a worry Sad

It is suprising and probably worth taking issue with next time your in, I mean, they may have had a good reason but if it wasn't necessary then it's a lot of worry that could have easily been avoided. I hope he gets back to his normal self pretty quickly, some soft warm pellets with some blackberry or apple & pear Hipp mushed in usually goes down really well with dental bunnies....often they don't want anything hard to chew for a few hours.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:25 pm

hope herbie feels better soon.the poor bun sending vibes just in case xx
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:31 pm

Poor Herbie, I hope he feels better soon. He must be feeling really sore and sorry for himself. xx

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:42 pm

Thank you for your best wishes.

Herbie seems bright enough but has refused the Hipp banana/apple and critical care mixture. Will try him again before I go to bed.

He has had a metacam jab at the vets, do you think I should give him some more before I go to bed or wait til the morning?
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:27 pm

Poor Herbie. Is he fond of banana? Rosie hates it, so it would need to be a different Hipp mixture for her, but I hope he takes some before bedtime.

I'm not sure about the Metacam to be honest. Hmmm I suppose it depends how much the vet gave him, but I might be tempted to give him just a little more. Not sure though.

Hope he begins to feel more comfortable very soon. x
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:03 am

Herbie was nibbling on some plantain when I went to bed last night and has taken some pellets from my hand this morning Very Happy The Oxbow pellets I use are very small so are hopefully if he eats one at a time they will be easy for him to manage.

He seems happy in himself and is tootling around outside with Hollie. Will attempt to get the baytril and Metacam down him in a bit Sad

Herbie has some cat like tendencies in that he loves to sunbathe and loathes being medicated Rolling Eyes
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:57 am

Glad to hear he's improving, I hope it continues Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks for the vibes. Herbie has been nibbling on and off all day Smile

He has managed to eat a raisin which is good news as I can load this with Metacam Very Happy I suspect he will see - or smell - through one loaded with baytril!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:02 pm

Sounds like he is on the mend. Chance quite often has dentals and can take a few days to get back into the swing of eating. Other times he is eating straight away. Bunnies ey! Here to drive us mad! x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:17 pm

Glad to hear that he's starting to feel better. I'll send vibes your way in hopes that the good news keeps up!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:29 pm

glad that Herbie is feeling better xx
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:14 pm

How is Herbie now?
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:18 pm

Hope Herbie is back to normal now.

I'm extremely lucky in that Rosie adores Metacam - so much so that I can't get a syringe anywhere near her without her going crazy, so she laps it up off a saucer with great relish! Laughing
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:31 pm

Come on Herbie you can do it! Mummy doesn't need the stress right now! x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next