Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Great News About Rosie - U/D She's Gone

+13
rallybunny
FudgesMummy
Kirsty&Lola
Josephine
Catsknickers
Snowy
Jay
ElleyMay
thumpersmum
NickieM
SarahJane
Sixer
Rosie Rabbit
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Not Great News About Rosie - U/D She's Gone Empty Not Great News About Rosie - U/D She's Gone

Post by Rosie Rabbit Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:07 pm

In the 5 weeks or so since Rosie saw Emma Keeble at the Small Animal Hospital in Edinburgh, her lung problems unfortunately haven't improved at all. Her eye problems have got worse as well. She has variously been on Septrin, Flagyl, Metacam, Zantac, Bisolvon powder, Maxitrol eye drops, and more recently, Baytril. We have been nebulising her with F10 and Baytril, and she has been on a Ventolin inhaler recently too. Sad In addition, she developed an alarming lump on one of her eyeballs a week ago, due possibly to changing the Maxitrol eye drops (which are steroidal) to non-steroidal ones. Emma wanted to do this as she suspected the steriods may have been affecting her ability to fight any lung infection. Apparently topical steroids in the eye are easily absorbed systemically in rabbits. After seeing Rosie's ophthalmic vet last Friday and speaking to the vets in Edinburgh, we agreed to put her back on the Maxitrol to keep her eye comfortable.

She was supposed to be going in overnight again yesterday for more X-rays and tests on her lungs, but we all agreed that she wasn't really well enough for that. As a compromise, she had a conscious scan done on her chest. Unfortunately, her lungs seem to have got worse in the 5 weeks since she was X-rayed, and one of her lungs is virtually collapsed. Emma said her chest was very solid and there's not much room in there. There is also a bit of fluid on the lung which shouldn't be there. Her breathing is very laboured when she's at rest, although you don't hear it as much when she's moving about. They still can't say conclusively whether it is a tumour or bronchopneumonia.

Her eye problems are serious too - she has been blind with cataracts for some time, and has managed well with that, but since the summer she has had uveitis in her right eye and this large inflamed lump which appeared last week. Her incisor roots are overgrown too, blocking her nasolacrimal ducts, and this is what has been causing the excessive wetness on her cheeks.

So, with very heavy hearts, we have decided that she probably doesn't have long left. I don't know quite how long (it's so hard trying to weigh everything up Crying or Very sad ) but she has 3 separate serious problems that, in conjunction, are proving very difficult to treat. If she had just one of them, we could, for example, remove her eye, or her incisors, but everything is compromised by the very poor state of her lungs.

We really feel that we don't want to put her through much more. Crying or Very sad The last 4 months have been pretty intensive, and while the drugs are keeping everything under control at the moment, and we could wait until she was really suffering and have her put to sleep then, we don't feel that's in anyone's best interest, least of all Rosie's. We're going to reconsider after the weekend and maybe have to make a very hard decision.

I always remember something I read on a forum - can't remember where - that your bunny doesn't really care whether it lives for 5 years or 10, what is important to it is its quality of life when it is alive. And I think that's very true.

Thanks for reading, just wanted to keep you all up-to-date.

Last edited by Rosie Rabbit on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Not Great News About Rosie - U/D She's Gone Empty Re: Not Great News About Rosie - U/D She's Gone

Post by Sixer Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Bless Rosie, I have just shed a tear or two for her and for you Helen.

I have no doubt at all that Rosie has a wonderful life with you and it goes without saying that you have given her the best care possible, particularly in recent weeks.

And I think you are right, bunnies don't measure time as we do, all Rosie will know is that she is very much loved and cared about. Nobunny can ask for more than that and hard as it is for us preventing suffering is part of that love.

I am so sorry that you are reaching a point where a decision may have to be made. My heart goes out to you. Take one day at a time with Rosie and make the most of the special time left.

With loads of hugs to you all,
Vanessa xxx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Not Great News About Rosie - U/D She's Gone Empty Re: Not Great News About Rosie - U/D She's Gone

Post by Rosie Rabbit Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:11 pm

Thank you Vanessa - what lovely words, you've set me off again!!

Rosie certainly has been very much loved, I can't really find the words to describe how special she is to both of us. She's enriched our lives so much.

She is definitely worse though, and looking at her tonight, I think we will have to have made a decision by the end of the weekend.
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:54 pm

Oh no Sad
I know the pain youre feeling too well. My mum said a similar thing to me, she said, he doesnt understand age, time, unfairness or illnesses, all they know is love and happiness and safety.

Rosie has been well loved, happy and safe, and thats all she understands. Im so sorry she isnt getting better, but im glad she has someone so caring there for her.

Big hug xx
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:04 pm

Thanks for your kind words Sarah Jane, I know you understand what it's like too. Sad xx
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Oh Helen, what a very brave and selfish act. To put her pain and suffering before your loss. She has had a full and happy life. Rescued from goodness knows what and loved and treasured. What bunny could ask for more. And now that her time is uncomfortable and going to be progressively distressing for her, you can take the decision to let her go out on a high. If only people had that luxury. She has indeed been a lucky lady and I hope you keep your signature because I love that picture of her very much.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:28 pm

Nickie has said it all so well.

I'm so sorry you're in this situation, I hope if, or when, I'm in a similar position, I can be as objective and selfless.

Lots of hugs HugsHugsHugsHugsHugsHugsHugs

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:10 am

So sorry to hear this. Sad You're very brave and you and Rosie will be in my thoughts!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:55 am

Rosie was the first 'other bunny' I connected to through the bunny web, and I'm sure many of us feel we know her, I certainly do. We all know for sure that she is a very well loved bun, and that she couldn't have been more lucky than to find her way to you both.

The level of care and dedication you've shown her will always stand as a inspiraional testament to those who want to give their bunny every chance.
I agree that a well loved and cared for bunny is a happy one. As you say Helen, animals have no concept of the future, of a lifespan, of the next day even, so all we can do is make sure that their present is happy and comfortable.

However, we are not blessed with that ignorance, and I know very well how painful this will be for you both. From what you say, I feel you are taking the right steps in giving this serious consideration, but I'm so very sorry that it has to happen, I can't imagine how difficult it will be Sad I hope we can help and support you.

Love and hugs to you all xxx
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:05 am

I am so sorry to hear about Rosie, it is so difficult when you are dealing with things like this, I too have gone through it and it's very hard but I rest in the comfort that I did everything I could for the bunny and in every case I know I have done the right thing.

You have given Rosie a wonderful life, with unconditional love and care, she is a very lucky to have you caring for her.

Lots of hugs to you both Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:27 pm

Oh Helen, I am saddened to hear this. She has been a very brave and dignified lady. It is a very hard decision to make but you will know when the time is right, if it has to be made. It is a question of making sure you don't keep them hanging on for you. And that you make the decision for them.

We are all here for you and I truly hope that she lives a long and happy life yet. Hugs xxxxxxx
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Thank you SO much everyone for your lovely words. They really make so much difference and are a great comfort, as I know you have all been through times like this too and know how hard it is.

Jay wrote:Rosie was the first 'other bunny' I connected to through the bunny web, and I'm sure many of us feel we know her, I certainly do.
Oh I never knew that Jay, how lovely. Thank you so much x
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:54 pm

Well, it's been a difficult weekend, but we have come to a decision and are going to take Rosie to be put to sleep tomorrow. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

If we have wavered at times, we've only had to see her and spend time with her to know that we are doing the best thing for her at the right time. Although she is not suffering too much yet (due no doubt to all the meds she's on), she is clearly uncomfortable and is really in a very poor state physically. Sad We just know deep down that it's her time.

Please spare a wee thought for Rosie tomorrow.

Oh and Nickie - I will definitely be keeping my signature - I love those pics of her too. Love
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:10 pm

I hope you have a snuggly evening, I'm so sorry to hear this, but feel that this is best Helen, hard as it is. I'm sure she's in no doubt about how much she's brought to you both and how much you love her.

I will be thinking of you all tomorrow Hugs xx
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:12 pm

I am so sorry to hear your news Sad

Such a difficult, brave and unselfish decision, my heart goes out to you. Rosie has been blessed finding a home with you, such a special bunny and such a wonderful life she has enjoyed.

I am thinking of you all so much and hope you can take some comfort from your remaining time with Rosie.

You will be in my thoughts tomorrow with a wish for a peaceful passing.

Sleep tight precious Rosie xxx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:12 pm

Helen - I am truly devastated for you. I know how difficult tomorrow will be. I cannot believe that in less than a week we will have lost 2 very special and prominent Hoppers. You are very brave and gracious. I am here if you need anything, I wish there was something I could do.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Thank you everyone, you are all so kind.

I'm embarrassed by everyone thinking I'm brave - I don't feel brave or selfless! Not at all - I just feel numb at the moment. She has been my baby for 5 years and it will be so, so hard without her. She'll be in a better place though, and free from all her discomfort.

We'll certainly be having a snuggly evening with her, and I think she does know how much we adore her - we tell her often enough! As I type, she's lying here snorting away and it's a comfort to know it will all soon be over for her. Crying or Very sad
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:19 pm

I feel for you. Try to stay strong and I hope you realize what a wonderful life you've given her. I'm very sorry.
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:41 pm

I am so so sorry Helen. I hope that tomorrow when the time comes it is as peaceful as possible and that you can take comfort from knowing she is at peace.

As as to not being brave, it takes a lot of courage and compassion to do the difficult thing that is the right thing to do. Because you love her so much, it would have been easy to keep trying different interventions and possibly only lengthening the inevitable. This way, you can let her go knowing that she will not experience how truly distressing it will be not to be able to breathe properly and to gasp for each breath. That to me IS bravery.

Give her a snuggle and a noserub from me and the Elgin crew. Lots of love xx Hugs Hugs I'll be thinking of you.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:42 pm

It is making me weep just reading this and knowing what you are going through. My last night with Mr Darcy was something I will never forgot. Bittersweet. All my love and vibes coming to you both. xxxx Sad
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:07 pm

Helen, I am so sorry you have had to come to this difficult decision. Rosie is such a special bunny and I know everyone on the forum will be heart broken for you.
My thoughts will be with you tomorrow, I hope it is as peaceful as it can be.
x
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:09 pm

we will be thinking of you tomorrow. you are being so brave and selfless in putting Rosie's happiness first. sending peaceful vibes x
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:14 pm

I'm sorry you've had to make this decision, I'm sure it has been difficult. You'll be in our thoughts tomorrow. Lots of vibes for you.

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:45 pm

Thank you everyone, it's so comforting to read all your posts xx
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:43 am

will be thinking of you both today

give beautiful Rosie lots of nosey rubs and a huge hug from Fudge and I to take on her journey to Rainbow Bridge.

I'm already got tears but remember Helen you have your friends here for you. You have been brave to make such a decision.

Rosie you are are one special bun and such a fighter but mummy says you don't have to fight any more just enjoy being full of binkies and restored to health at Rainbow Bridge.

Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next