Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marks on Cids back feet

4 posters

Go down

Marks on Cids back feet Empty Marks on Cids back feet

Post by Vivi Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:52 pm

I was brushing Cid today and I noticed little round red marks at the very start of his feet. One looks like its scabbed over. They don't seem to be bothering him at all, Im just wondering if anyone has had marks like this on thier rabbits. Ive only noticed them on Cid and not my other rabbits.

Just wondering if I should make a vets appointment for tomorrow, or just see if it will clear up!

Here's a picture of what I mean (Poor Cid what an undignified way to get his picture taken Sad )
Marks on Cids back feet P1000011
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Marks on Cids back feet Empty Re: Marks on Cids back feet

Post by Kate7590 Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:18 pm

Im no expert, but it looks like a little scab thats peeled off ??

Is there any wire in his hutch that he could of maybe poked himself on?

Hope he feels okay soon :]
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:37 am

It could be the start of 'sore hocks' - where the fur on the feet thins and the skin becomes inflamed. Is Cid a housebunny? Certain carpet fibres can be abrasive to the hocks, and wear the fur down.

If this is SH, then it needs treating quickly, as it can escalate into a major problem. Sadly we have lost a couple of tresured buns to this condition Sad (See threads)

Sudocream is a good start, if you don't have any of that, then vaseline will do as an interim. also, Aloe vera gel, which you can get from Holland & Barrett - this soothes the skin and is a natural disinfectant.

I would certainly see the vet if only to confirm the condition, or not. Buns are prone to abcesses, which are very difficult to treat once they take hold.

Vibes for Cid.

Last edited by Jay on Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:39 am

Yes he is a house bunny - But he spends most of his time out of his cage on lino flooring, and he isn't much of a mover.

I have sudocream, Ill put some on him now.

Ill book an appointment with the vet's as soon as I can.

Thanks!
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:43 am

re: Lino floor, he may not be a much of a mover if he's on lino. Some buns find lino or polished wooden floors difficult to move on, so they won't move. It can bad for their backs. I put up a thread about this after talking to a bunny expert about why Bertie had arthritis in his spine so young. Here's the tread.

Maybe somethng to consider Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:40 am

Most rabbits have a small bald spot which is usually dark pink on the ball of their hock as this is where it takes the most pressure and receives the most abrasion from the ground.

For the vast majority of rabbits this will never pose a problem but if the area swells, bleeds, becomes pussy or infected looking or seems to cause the rabbit pain or discomfort (paying attention to it, favouring the foot and so on) then it needs attention before it turns into 'sore hocks', the proper term for which is Ulcerative Pododermatitis.

Is it a scab or does it look more like dry skin flaking off, as the latter is quite normal.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:02 pm

About the floors - Thanks for that! I never thought of it as a problem as my other bunnies have no bother whatsoever, but it does make sense. I read the thread and its been really helpful! I was thinking of moving soon & when I did I was going to get laminate flooring as my dog gets hair everywhere so I was going to get it for ease of cleaning up but now thats a definate no, for the rabbits and my dog!

Ive got some carpet offcuts that Ill lay down in my passageway and see if that helps him become abit more mobile!

Though it is worth mentioning my rabbits live in my spare bedroom which is carpeted and they often get let out for a run around in there, too, and Cid still isn't much of a mover, but now that I think about it, he is more of a mover on the carpet than on my lino!

Thanks!
Sarah
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content