Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mean bunny :(

+7
KatieB
lopz
jan
Catsknickers
NickieM
Kate7590
ElleyMay
11 posters

Go down

Mean bunny :( Empty Mean bunny :(

Post by ElleyMay Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:44 pm

I've decided that Hippo has waited until he was officially adopted to show his true colours! Rolling Eyes Laughing

I can handle the somewhat questionable litter habits, but one thing that makes me very sad is that he has gotten very mean towards... brace yourself... TORI! Shocked

Sweet loving Tori who was the one who initially took him under her paw and made him feel comfortable. The one who taught him how to run to the fridge every time it opened. The one who kissed and cuddled him for hours before he met Brynn Sad

The three of them were fine together when Hippo and Brynn were first bonded, but Tori was away for a weekend and ever since she has come back Hippo hates her. He charges at her and bites her. Being the good cat she is she doesn't turn on him. I think it's actually a dominance thing... but Tori doesn't know how to play the game. She has to always be up on something high when they are out running around. Now, since she is a super lazy cat, she actually doesn't seem to mind watching sleepily from a higher perch.... but still.... knowing how sweet she can be with them it really makes me sad. I get so mad at him... but then 2 seconds later I am wooed once again by his adorableness!

What's even worse is that Tori is now scared for Brynn too. Sad

Poor Tori!!! Geeze.... guess I'll just have to get another cat now to keep Tori company!!! Wink (just kidding!! that is so not happening)
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Mean bunny :( Empty Re: Mean bunny :(

Post by Kate7590 Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:05 pm

Aww poor Tori Sad

x
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:08 pm

So sorry to hear this EllieMay. I know you will be feeling a bit guilty and raw about it, but maybe things will settle down again. Hippo is just asserting himself and hopefully, once he feels secure Tori can be regarded as a friend and not as a competitor. Just hang tight baby xx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:54 pm

Naughty bunny. Bella boxes my cats if they are on her rug. And that is bad enough. But they haven't ever taken Bella under their wings. Hopefully it will settle hun. Bunnies ey.... sent to try us.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:40 am

Poor Tori.fingers crossed for things to settle down
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by lopz Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:06 am

My first bun, Marylou, was forever chasing one of the cats. Funny how pets have those strange habits
lopz
lopz
Banned

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:04 am

Ahhhh naughty bunny! hopefully he'll start to behave himself with poor Tori. Wonder what is going on in that bunny brain of his.....? Ahhh a penny for every time ive thought that recently......

Sending wishes for harmony,
Kx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:59 am

Poor Tori. I wonder if could be similar to when bonded rabbits are seperated, and come become unbonded, and then can get nasty to each other? If Hippo felt bonded, in part, to Tori, that may have something to do with it?

I'll ask Anne and see if she can shed some light on it or knows how to fix it. I've already told her about your 3, and she was really interested in the relationship they have.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:14 pm

I think, as Nickie says, it's likely that Hippo is viewing Tori as a competitor for Brynn's affections and his assertion of dominance is his way of dealing with the situation. It's possible that as Tori acts more like a rabbit than a cat (in their view) by expressing similar signs of affection he is reacting to her as a rabbit and not a cat.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:01 am

Poor Tori, such a shame for her when she is such a sweetheart.

Gabriel charges, boxes and nips out at my very aged cat if she should be in 'his' territory. As she is deaf she doesn't always hear him coming. Thankfully their meetings don't happen very often and I would never allow them to be together unsupervised.

Am sending loads of peaceful vibes your way and hope that Hippo starts to chill out with Tori again soon. I wonder if any of the Bach flower remedies may help?
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Sooz wrote:I think, as Nickie says, it's likely that Hippo is viewing Tori as a competitor for Brynn's affections and his assertion of dominance is his way of dealing with the situation. It's possible that as Tori acts more like a rabbit than a cat (in their view) by expressing similar signs of affection he is reacting to her as a rabbit and not a cat.

I think you're definitely right. To them Tori is a rabbit... which is totally fine except that Tori doesn't realize this! 9/10 times Hippo doesn't chase her and then randomly he does. Just like 9/10 times Brynn will groom Hippo but then the 10th time she will give him a little "extra" Shocked (if you know what I mean). They are just reminding one another about who is in charge. The order goes Brynn, Hippo, Tori.... only Tori doesn't realize that this is what they are doing so she has just become scared of him all the time.

In all honesty, I think everyone is okay with it except for me. When the Bunnys come out Tori just goes up onto the bunny castle or the arm of the couch and watches them (or bats them lovingly as they walk by Laughing). It's not like she runs and hides when they come out. Also, as I said they can all be mingling without any attacks... but every so often Hippo randomly charges. Tori just doesn't give them kisses anymore. I guess I just need to get over it! Rolling Eyes Laughing
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:26 pm

It will get better when everyone knows where they stand and how to react. Wolfie is a bit of a terror about food. When I appear with any food, he immediately chases Gloria away. It used to really upset me, but it doesn't upset her (and she does pinch stuff right out of his mouth!) so it was me who needed to get used to it. It is just that we tend to view their behaviour in human terms with human emotions and to bunnies, it is just instinct.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:18 am

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you about this EM, I saw Anne at the week-end and asked her about this. As already suggested, the bond between Hippo and Tori (Hippo thinking of Tori as a bun) has been broken, and it's unlikley (nigh on impossible, she said) they'll get it back Sad

However, she also said that cat's don't need that bond, and that Tori will be perfectly content with things as they are Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:42 am

No worries at all Jay!

Things have sort of improved. He's only tried to go for her once in the past week. Tori just stays out of his way... and she enjoys watching them from up on her tallest cat tree perch! (She has also gotten lots of treats out of this deal so I don't feel so bad!)
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:40 pm

Poor Tori. At least she is getting something out of it. Once Hippo boy is **** of the walk, he'll probably settle down. He's just being a bit of a barbarian.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:48 pm

Poor Tori!! My cat was SO scared of my bunnies when I first got them, but they are besties now! I hope Hippo will calm down and Tori wont have to be scared anymore soon!
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2010-01-05

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkyfactory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down