Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A question about hay

3 posters

Go down

A question about hay Empty A question about hay

Post by Cottontail Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:40 pm

I have two horses and have been bringing pads of baled hay hay home for sunny to eat, sleep in, poop in dig in she has tons of the stuff.

Yesterday I moved the horses to a new yard so the hay is different, It is the hay in the big round bales, but it is hay NOT haylege, it is more golden in colour and is slightly thicker than the hay she has at the moment. Can she still eat this new hay? do i just slowly do the change from one type of hay to another like I have done with the horses?

Just wanted to ask because i would hate to do anything that could make her sick

Cottontail
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-01-06

Back to top Go down

A question about hay Empty Re: A question about hay

Post by NickieM Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:58 pm

I know that you have to introduce new foods carefully. With pellets you would take 10 days to change over completely, but introducing a little bit each day and taking away a bit of the old food. I am not sure about hay, but would probably do something similar just to be on the safe side. Hopefully Sooz will pop along and be able to be more certain than me.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:50 pm

You can certainly feed the new hay as long as it is properly dry, quite fresh and non-dusty to minimise the threat of mycotoxins. I have never taken care changing hays with my rabbits unless they are going onto a very rich crop, which it sounds like this is not.

HTH
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down