Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice re: bonding please

3 posters

Go down

Advice re: bonding please Empty Advice re: bonding please

Post by Angelinabun Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Hello,

I am currently using the slow bonding method to bond my little neutered male with a new neutered female bunny from a rescue. They are living very well side by side, sitting near each with, eating, grooming with bars in between.

In the bonding pen in a neutral area, my little male is so variable - they are grooming near each other, flopping and eating and sometimes don't need intervention for an hour or so but when she is in close proximity he often lunges and nips her and we seem stuck at this stage. I think he can vary according to the time of day.

Any advice please?

Many thanks,

Anglelinabun

Angelinabun
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Advice re: bonding please Empty Re: Advice re: bonding please

Post by cerci Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Awwww, I feel your pain! I'm feeling traumatised by trying to bond 2 neutered boys....wish I'd done boy/girl. I have been given lots of great advice and I'm sure that someone will have an idea for you. I have very little experience, but it sounds like it's going well if they are grooming, resting and eating near to eachother for that length of time. Does he prefer a particular area of the pen? Maybe he's seeing that part as his own. I'm sure someone will have some good advice soon for you. Smile
cerci
cerci
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:20 pm

It sounds like it is mainly positive. They can chase and nip each other and that isn't too problematic. What you have to be watchful for is a real attack. Often one bun will flatten its ears and its tail will be raised, they will launch at the other rabbit and then they roll into a ball and are 'locked on'. This is very dangerous and definitely not a good sign.

If rabbits ignore each other and do a lot of grooming that is a very good sign as it means they don't regard the other as a threat. They then like to sort out who is top bun and that often involves a lot of mounting - can be female on male or male on female - this is about dominance. Watch out for one of the rabbits head mounting, especially if it is the male as they can get bitten on the privates and it is very painful and sometimes fatal. If you see them doing this, gently push the male - or female - off.

It might be that you need to keep them together a bit longer as constantly taking them in and out of each other's company could be confusing them. And eventually, your neutral space, isn't so neutral any more.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 pm

As Nickie said, give it time. Don't rush the bond. Allow them to stay side by side until they are both completely unbothered by each other.

Back to top Go down

Advice re: bonding please Empty Further question

Post by Angelinabun Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks for your kind replies,

Jamie and Sadie are really are very happy side by side through the wire, lots of sniffing and playing, eating, sitting near each other. They like it when I change over litter trays and toys.

With regard to the neutral territory, my average bonding session is about 4 hours. I have tried moving the pen to the kitchen which is also neutral but Jamie - my male was worse there and seems calmer and more settled in the bathroom. They have obviously been sharing a litter/hay tray there and it has both their scents. Should I re-neutralise the pen and floor etc?

It is so hard to know whether to go for a more intense approach or take it slower, especially as he is so variable with her - sometimes flopping upside down near her and then 5 minutes later growling and nipping!. He does back off after a nip and doesn't want to attack her more than this. He has not humped her at all.
Angelinabun Wink

Angelinabun
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down