Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dilemma - be nice!

+6
Jay
ElleyMay
Sixer
NickieM
Rhianna
KathyT
10 posters

Go down

Dilemma - be nice! Empty Dilemma - be nice!

Post by KathyT Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:38 pm

It's been just over a year since Truffles went to the bridge, and before now I haven't even been able to think about getting another bun; aside from the grief it's just been too hectic with LPM and Nick's new career.

But if I'm honest with myself, I know Tibbs is lonely. She's always been quite a social little bun - she's living next door to the piggies right now through the cold snap and the change in her has been quite astounding. She even chats to the cats. The trouble is, I'm finding it incredibly hard to cope with Mozart & Bunty, Arthur & Albert, Tibbs and, oh yes, my son, so I think throwing another rabbit into the mix could quite easily come under the heading of "irresponsible."

Don't get me wrong; all animals are well fed, pampered, healthy, spoiled little devils - all their material needs are met. But I don't get to spend the time playing with them like I used to - there are days when I throw them their food first thing in the morning and don't see them again for the rest of the day. Mozart has been bringing me "gifts" in an attempt to get attention - I've just removed the remains of some deceased rodent from behind my dishwasher.....

So it's a rock and a hard place - one lonely rabbit, or two rabbits who don't get cuddled as often as they should?

All views welcome...
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Dilemma - be nice! Empty Re: Dilemma - be nice!

Post by Rhianna Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:11 pm

If you can afford to home a new bunny and have the space and resources then I would go for it.

I work long hours and during the week I don't spend much time with my outdoor buns but they have each other and I don't think they are lonely. I have recently rehomed two indoor buns and am amazed at how much more interaction I am having with them, simply because they are in the lounge with me in the evenings.

I do spend more time with my outdoor three in the summer as they come out in the garden with me.

There are so many needy buns in rescue who I think would appreciate a home with a lovely wife even if they weren't regularly cuddled.

I found George (my indoor bun) a wife for exactly the same reason. I felt guilty he wasn't getting the company he deserved and thought he was lonely. It hasn't been an easy bonding - and if you do decide to get another bun given your circumstances I'd recommend you get the rescue to do the bonding for you, if possible - but I think George now has the best of both worlds. A Bunny Mummy to watch TV with and a Bunny Wife to be with 24/7 who speaks his own language and who he can do 'bunny' type snuggles with.

I am glad I got Gemma for George and believe he is much happier now.

Good luck with your decision.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:34 pm

Maybe if there was another bunny for her, she wouldn't need cuddled as much. My trio live in the garden and to be honest, I really don't see that much of them just now because it is dark first thing and when I get back from work (just getting better now as it is staying lighter longer). They have each other, although I do wish that I could get Felix in with them and hope to do that this year.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:56 pm

I would certainly think about getting Tibbs a husbun Smile

My four who are outdoors at the moment don't get a great deal of human interaction at this time of the year. This does sadden me but at the end of the day I know they all prefer their bunny companion to me - unless the sweetie pot is in my hand Rolling Eyes and that they couldn't give two hoots if they are cuddled or not. When the weather is better I will spend more time with them outside but again I wouldn't say it is the highlight of their day Laughing

I have no doubt that if they lived indoors our relationship would be diffferent, but this cannot be, so I have to content myself with watching them interact as pairs.

If you feel Tibbs is lonely then a boy bun is the answer Thumbs Up

Last edited by Sixer on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:04 pm

I agree with those above!

Sounds like another bun could actually help you out! Very Happy
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:17 pm

I don't see that it would be irresponsible to get Tibbs a husbun, (provided you can afford it), quite the opposite, I think it would be highly responsible, and would alleviate the worry about her being alone.

The other alternatives would be to bring her inside as one of the family, or re-home her, which I'm sure isn't ideal for her or you either. By getting another you can know that she's got the companionship she thrives best on Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:01 pm

I'd say a friend sounds like the perfect soloution Very Happy
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks guys Love I feel so much better now. I've just emailed our local animal sanctuary to say that I'm in a position to offer a home to a boy bunny. I got Truffles from the same place so there shouldn't be any problems.

Fingers crossed!
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:08 pm

i agree, when im at uni my buns get practically no time spent with them, my mum cleans them out, they are fed, healthy, have lots of toys, treats etc etc, but she wont go and sit with them and stroke them etc, and they dont care, they have each other Smile
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:12 pm

I'd like to get Johns a 'bifey' (see what i did there, bunny wifey ...?!!) as I worry he seems bored on his own but I just cant think about it right now. I'd have to get somebody else to bond them though but in the future, maybe end of year or maybe summer I will think about it.

As I sit here, he is sat outside in the rain chomping on the grass so I am assuming he is ok as a batchelor for now! x
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2271
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Dilemma - be nice! Empty U/D - that was quick!

Post by KathyT Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:37 am

Fiona remembered me from getting Truffles and instantly paired me up with a stray nethie cross named Breton. He's utterly gorgeous, as you can see Love I'm picking him up on Sunday!!! Very Happy

Dilemma - be nice! Breton10
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:40 am

Squueeee Love He's got Otter Rex colours, I love him Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:42 am

Oh, he is so pretty Love

Good luck for Sunday Very Happy
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by AprilGirl Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:52 am

Wow, what a gorgeous boy!
Good luck on Sunday can't wait to hear how it all goes and see some pics of the happy couple
Emma x
AprilGirl
AprilGirl
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down