Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonding question

5 posters

Go down

Bonding question Empty Bonding question

Post by Kate7590 Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi everyone.
I have for a while been thinking about trying to get a friend for Bramble, my old bunny but I dont want to nueter him becasue of his age.
Iv just booked Annie in for her spey on thursday [she is already living with Charlie, nuetered buck]

My question is, would it be possible to bond Bramble to Charlie & Annie?
I hope it wil work coz Id love them to all live in a massive run [they would have 4ft X over 18ft] together. But i have uncertainties about it because iv always understood that a un-nuetered buck will cause problems....and haveing 2 bucks in a bond might not work because there is a female... hmmmm.

Can I have some help on this subject? Im willing to spend alot of time with them trying to make this work.
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Bonding question Empty Re: Bonding question

Post by Sixer Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Despite his age, I really think that Bramble being un-neutered will cause a problem. He 'may' hump Annie and fight with Charlie.

Obviously all bunny personalities are different and it is not easy to predict how a bonding will turn out but I think you would be taking a huge risk.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:33 pm

Yes thats what I was worried about... He is 6 and half so Im thinking too old to be nuetered safely, and even if he was wouldnt there still be a chance they would fight?
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Kate7590 wrote:Yes thats what I was worried about... He is 6 and half so Im thinking too old to be nuetered safely, and even if he was wouldnt there still be a chance they would fight?

As far as I know, yes. The unneutered just ups your chances that there will be fighting. Plus an unneuterd bunny's hormones change more throughout the year, so a happy trio may be broken up as spring fever hits etc. (I'm mostly just guessing here though as both mine are neutered and I only have 2).

Like Sixer said... It really comes down to the personalities of the buns, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Don't you just wish we could sit the buns down and explain all of this to them? "Listen, if you all get along you can live in a much bigger cage and you'll get more free time out" Laughing
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:54 pm

ElleyMay wrote:

Don't you just wish we could sit the buns down and explain all of this to them? "Listen, if you all get along you can live in a much bigger cage and you'll get more free time out" Laughing

Exactly, from my point of veiw I could see them being so much happier in a massive cage and as much free time together as I can give them. Wish bonding was simpler lol
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Nuetered bucks I find bond really well - i always seem to have sucess bonding my boys Hmmm (when nuetered) then I ever do trying to bond a girl in Rolling Eyes but I do have weird bunnies and a weird cat and a werid house - one thing I do know for sure is a hormonal boy has never worked in any bond I've tried - I've normally had to wait 2 months or so after neutering for hormones to die down.

I have had older bunnies neutered with no problems - the risk is a lot less for a boy then a girl as it's a less invasive. But you do know what is bets for your bunny, - have you thought about talking to your vet?
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1273
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.four-legs-good.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:43 pm

That gives me a little hope Smile
I will talk to the vet on thursday when I take annie in Smile Ill keep you up to date xxx
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:58 am

Talking to your vet would work best I think.

I'm not sure how it works in rabbits but in dogs their pre-neuter behaviour can stay with them after the neuter. Our family adopted a boy dog a while ago who was about 5 years old when we got him. He hadn't been neutered, but we have the operation done. Since then however he's retained all of the behaviours associated with unneutered boy dogs - he's an escape artist extaordinaire, pisses everywhere to mark his territory, and constantly tries to hump any dog in site.

Your vet will know how risks and dangers associated with older age affect bunnies better and whether they increase much when the bunny is 6+ years.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down