Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you store your hay?

+4
NSD
Jay
NickieM
Magoo
8 posters

Go down

How do you store your hay? Empty How do you store your hay?

Post by Magoo Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:56 pm

As the title says really:)

I've noticed pippin decreases how much hay he eats the closer we get to the bottom of the bag. When we buy a new bag, freshly opened, he eats loads but as it gets half way down it feels much drier than usual and the sweet smell has gone. It doesn't smell bad or anything. It just loses it's smell. I think it's drying out and he's not enjoying the taste or at least it doesn't smell nice enough to begin with. I'm keeping it in the bag we got it in and then in a cotton bag and in a cupboard in our kitchen. Maybe it's too hot? Our house has been really warm recently.

I've seen drawstring cotton bags from 'The Hay Expert' but do these really work or are they just a bit gimmicky? Is there anything else I can use/do to keepthe hay staying nicer for longer?
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1193
Registration date : 2009-03-25

http://bellasbunnies.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

How do you store your hay? Empty Re: How do you store your hay?

Post by NickieM Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:28 pm

I buy mine in a big bale wrapped in plastic. I cut it open and it stays in the plastic in the garage. I decant a load every couple of days into one of those collapsible gardening bins so I can cart it outside. Otherwise the house is filled with bits of hay everywhere.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:57 am

I have a big plastic tub thing hat has 2 types hay and readigrass in it. I don't put the lid on and keep the hay bags open. I was advised to do this ages ago and I think it's right, cos it keeps it dry and if there were any damp in the hay, sealing it would create mould spores ... anyone know?

Bertie always looses interest about 3/4 way down, so I mix in the new with the old. Smile

I did once buy a bale and in a flat, it went everywhere, not only tat, but he just didn't seem that interested in it Rolling Eyes
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:12 am

I buy bags from my local store and just go through them. My bunnies like to pee and poo on their hay so they go through quite a lot - about a bag a week.

I leave the top of the bag open in the air. The bags are inside though to avoid extreme weather changing it.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:22 am

For the bales I have a wheelie bin (bought not appropriated Laughing ) which works well until I get to the bottom! Chris and I are vertically challenged!

I bought a couple of the bags from the Hay Experts - there is no gimmick to them, they are just cotton bags. A pillow case would work just as well!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Magoo Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:31 am

Thanks for all the advice Smile

Pippin also uses the hay for his litter so we do go through it a lot. It just feels and smells different after about 3 days.

Jay - It's funny that Bertie loses interest in the hay too when you get nearer the end of the bag. Rabbits are funny creatures! I'm going to try that too and mix the new and older hay together to see if that works.

I'm also going to store it in a different place where it is cooler. As I said our house is always warm and even warmer in the kitchen where we've been keeping it.
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1193
Registration date : 2009-03-25

http://bellasbunnies.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:47 pm

I keep or hay for the outsiders in a wheelie bin and the indoors in a plastic bag, mind you I have the worlds least fussy rabbits, they eat anything!
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:03 pm

Daisy wont eat the bottom 3rd of the bag. But then he is the worlds fussiest bun. He only uses it for food though. I keep it in a plastic box with a lid - its not airtight tho, but its kept in the bag too.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah85 Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:13 pm

Sarah85
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down