Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The case of the missing poo

4 posters

Go down

The case of the missing poo Empty The case of the missing poo

Post by NSD Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:25 am

I'm not 100% sure whether this belongs here, but here goes...

Over the past few days, I have been feeding bruce & josephine significantly less vegies and more hay than normal. Part of it is trying to force them to grind down their own teeth to avoid a vet visit, part of it is my laziness (i'm too lazy to go to the market), and part of it is trying to encourage them to lose weight. They've had some vegies and plants, but not much at all compared to their normal amount.

About the same time, I tried a new litter tray situation with the hay. Josephine thought it was fun to pull the hay off the litter trays onto the floor and make little caves in it. This is fine - I don't mind her making mess as long as it isn't pee and poo on the floor mess.

But now I can't find Josephine's poos. I've moved the hay back to its normal position so that she can't pull it onto the floor, but I can't see her poos. She's acting normally, I have seen her eat, she's playing and mucking about with Bruce in the garden now.

So I have two theories:
- either her poos have gotten bigger with all the hay she is now eating and I can't tell the different between her poos and bruce's small poos
- or she is hiding the poos somewhere in her room

Thoughts? Is this something that needs vet attention? My gut says she is eating and pooing and either i'm blind or she's hiding it from me, but any input would be grand.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

The case of the missing poo Empty Re: The case of the missing poo

Post by Jay Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:58 am

It's a good plan, and one that I have used to successfully bring Bertie's weight down and get him eating more hay.

There has deffo been an increase in the size of his poos since I started this regime Smile If Josephine wasn't pooing, she would most likely be in discomfort, and not mucking about, and would not be eating as much. Does she poo normally soon after eating? I would be inclined to watch her when she goes to the tray and just check. Is she still eating her caecotrophs?

I don't know about bonded buns and litter usage though, but hope that helps:)
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:11 am

Daisy def has bigger poos when eating hay - quite a bit bigger. In fact I use this as a way of making sure he is eating his hay! so it might be that they all look the same now.

Perhaps see if you can watch her like jay says.........

Good luck with the search!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:22 am

I presume she is still eating her caecotrophs because I can't find any in the morning. Josephine and Bruce have always had unlimited access to hay, but I think Josephine in particular prefers to eat the vegies so her poos are always smaller and slightly darker than Bruce, who will happily munch hay for hours.

I have work tomorrow and the day after, so i can't watch her Sad she tends to eat, hop away, wait several minutes, then come back to poo later. Such a strange bunny.

I have gone and reexamined the poo. Bruce and Josephine have always had significantly different sized poo - being such radically different sized bunnies. Some of the poo looks too small for bruce when he's been eating hay... hmmm.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:25 am

I think it's most likely that the poos have increased in size. I was really shocked the first time I saw the increase in Berties, they are easily double the size they used to be, and they crumble into a green powder. When he has more veg than usual, they are deffo smaller, and more moist.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:55 pm

Yep, golden poos are bigger poos. If she is still being otherwise normal and active, I think you are just not spotting them.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down