Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help! Rescue bunny in a bad way

+3
KatieB
Jay
Vince the bunny
7 posters

Go down

Please help! Rescue bunny in a bad way Empty Please help! Rescue bunny in a bad way

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:47 pm

Hi

Following on from a previous thread about getting Hazel to put with Faline, hubby went to collect Hazel today and bought her back here. I checked her over and I'm worried about her privates. I've posted some piccys, not the most glamourous pictures to show of my new bunny, but can someone tell me if girls are supposed to look like that?

Please help! Rescue bunny in a bad way 035-1

I bathed the area with cotton wool and water as she had a bit of poo stuck to her bottom. Is she supposed to look like this???? Sheis booked to be spayed next Tuesday.

These are her nails and her fur has been ripped out by the aggressive rabbits she lived with

Please help! Rescue bunny in a bad way 037
Please help! Rescue bunny in a bad way 039-1

Please help! Rescue bunny in a bad way 040

Thank god I went back and got her.....
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Please help! Rescue bunny in a bad way Empty Re: Please help! Rescue bunny in a bad way

Post by Jay Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:13 pm

OMG Shocked The poor girl. Personally I would have her straight down to the vets. I don't know what's up with her privates, but that looks bad - Looks like she's been attacked. Has she a claw missing? She could well need anti-b's or meds to prevent any infection, as this can be serious for buns.

Rabbits need to be in optimum health to have a GA, so you may have to defer her spey.

Good luck and let us know how she gets on. Thank God you got her Sad
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Please help! Rescue bunny in a bad way Empty Re: Please help! Rescue bunny in a bad way

Post by KatieB Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:30 pm

Goodness -

I think she should see a vet straight away, buns are so prone to infection the least she is going to need is some antibiotics im sure of it - but I dont think thats normal really.

Thank god you got to her when you did as Im not sure she would have survived.

Oh please may she be alright.

She is safe with you now though thank goodness.

Keep us updaated, and thank you so much for rescuing her.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:43 pm

Oh my goodness Shocked Shocked Shocked , first of all, well done for getting her out of there, please take her to a vet as asson as possible, that looks very sore and she will need pain relief and probably antibiotics, she looks so sore and it looks like she has been repeatedly humped and also attacked by another pregnant female to me, poor bunny

You obviously had done a brilliant job in getting her, well done for getting her the help she needs
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:02 pm

Thank god you went back to get her i'd take her straight to the vets that looks very bad!!
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:37 pm

I took Hazel to the vet, he gave her a thorough examination and said that she had been bitten on her privates by another rabbit. Apparently it is quite common for rabbits to do that. He gave her some anti biotics and some pain relief. He also clipped her nails for her. He weighed her and said she was a good weight, and that her fur will grow back. She will be fine to spay on tuesday next week.

I only wish I'd taken her with me last friday when I picked up Faline. I checked Hazel then, and her bottom to make sure she didn't have the runs, and her privates looked ok then - i'd have noticed if they had been sore looking.

Thanks for your help and advice guys. I will post some nicer piccys of her in the photoshoot section. Poor thing, her introductory photos were not very flattering Embarassed
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:48 pm

Glad she is ok and she is safe now Smile
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:49 pm

Well done for rescuing her and for getting her the desperate help she needed, I have seen boy rabbits where one has castrated another by biting and it's not very nice, you have done a great job and you weren't to know what had happened so don't beat yourself up, you have her now and she is safe and that's all the matters

Well done you Thumbs Up
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:42 pm

You have done so well for these buns, I'm sure you'll be well rewarded by them, really, well done Thumbs Up I'm so happy they are reunited, and with someone so caring Very Happy:
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm really pleased you went back to collect Hazel. I hated thinking of Faline and Hazel missing each other. Bunny bonds can be so close Love

Poor little Hazel really needed your help and now she is safe and has her friend to snuggle with again once she is better.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:17 am

The woman I got them from said ' the vets will tell you anything to get you to spend money' when hubby told her we'd had Vince & Faline neutered. When I collected Faline I asked for some changeover food and she pulled a face and said, that she didn't believe they needed that as she just fed them the cheapest rabbit food at the time so they had different brands.
When hubby collected Hazel, she said that Hazel was her favourite and handed her to him like she didn't care Sad
My hubby isn't a massive bunny fan but even he felt sorry for Hazel and drove her to the vets for me.
I'm sooooooooooooooo glad I went back for her. I don't know what state her other rabbits are in, they were lops so I wasn't interesetd in homing one of those, I can't help anymore rabbits at the mo anyway. I'm just going to concentrate on the bunnies I have. Hazel isn't at all litter trained No What a state her hutch was in!!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:52 am

Sad Doesn't sound good. Is she a rescue/breeder or other?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:51 am

Oh im so glad she is okay. She is safe and loved with you now and what you have done is truly wonderful.

Im a bit worried about the other buns.

Is it worth a call to the RSPCA do you think? At least they can go round and check they are all okay and get her to fix any problems there may be. She really doesnt seem to be looking after them properly.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:31 pm

I think she got them just to mow her lawn! I don't think she read up much on how to best care for them. I did think of calling the rspca or contacting her directly to let her know what state Hazel was in. I think my two got the worst deal because they were being bullied by the other group of females. A least she recognised that and put an ad in the paper to rehome them, she gave them to me for free also.
They did have a huge garden to free range in, a couple were running around when I arrived!

Faline and \Hazel are now snuggled up together in their hutch. They seemed to recognise each other even thjough they had been apart for a few days. Hazel is very gentle, Faline is a bit scatty but ok when you hold her for cuddles. It's probably a shock to thrm to be suddenly kept in a hutch and run but at least they are safe now. They had some dinning room time today but Hazel just poos and wees everywhere No Am trying to litter train her now, bless
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:10 am

Well done you, you are a bunny angel .... thank god you got her. Well done girl Thumbs Up
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:23 am

It's been such a great story and I'm sure these buns will teach us all a thing or two Smile Hazel may well be stressed, and need some time to calm and settle. I keep saying it, but well done - yours, and the other rescue stories on here recently, have really had an impact and reminded me why we're all here Thumbs Up
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:50 pm

I agree I think you should call the RSPCA so they can check the bunnies in that house don't seem to well looked after at all Sad
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks guys for your kind words, just a little update on Faline and Hazel:

The both came into the living room tonight on the sofa, but faline jumped off and started exploring. Last time she was on the floor she dived under the sofa and I had a terrible job trying to retrieve her! Tonight, she just explored and even did 3 binkies!!!
Hazel stayed like a statue on the sofa, so after some cuddles I popped her on the floor with Faline and she started grooming Faline after humping her head! I can't wait till I can get Vince running around with them. They all have such different personalities, it's lovely when they do something thatshows they are becoming more happy and contented. Faline even lay down with her back legs slightly kicked out Smile
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:23 pm

Sounds like they are really settling in happily. How completely lovely.

Some very special buns have been lost recently there reminds me that with loss comes a circle with new and wonderful beginnings.

Give all three of then a snuggle from me.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down