Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poo question

3 posters

Go down

Poo question Empty Poo question

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi, I have a question about Hazel. Someone is doing runnyish poos, they look like lots of tiny moist clusters of poo rather than the usual singular round ones. I have laid off the vegs and dandelion leaves and not put them on grass but the funny poos are still happening. Now, I think it might be Hazel as when i checked her bottom, there was some staining around her nether regions, not poo but an orangy stain. Could this be wee staining as she is very white underneath, or does she have runny bum or is it even her? What could be causing it? I haven't changed their pellets for ages. (PaH ones). Thanks
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Poo question Empty Re: Poo question

Post by bobtails Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:21 pm

My bunny is like that sometimes, he only has hay and bunny brunch but I don't know if I feed him the correct quantity. He eats them too sometimes which is normal I think. My bunny also gets stained because he is white all over, I change his toilet area alot during the day because he likes sitting in his tray.

bobtails
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2010-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:07 pm

I think it sounds like they are night pellets of caecotrophs. These are the pellets that rabbits eat directly from the anus (delightful creatures) usually during the evening. The normal round pellets we see are the final product of their digestive process.

Caecotrophs look like miniature clusters of grapes and are coated in a mucus. Sometimes excess pellets and, I believe, are produced if a rabbit is getting too much pellets and needs more fibre. Try upping the amount of hay that your bunny gets and cut down their pellets. They should only get a small amount of pellets as they need to eat lots of hay to keep their gut regular.

The orange staining may have come about because of whatever food she is eating. Sometimes foodstuffs stain rabbit pee and they can do some alarming colours, like red and orange.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:22 am

Thanks for that, I think I may be feeding them too much pellets then. I was worried they would be hungry due to the cold. It might not be Hazel then, if wee can stain their fur. I was worried one of them had a problem with their gut. I'll cut down the pellets and increase the hay. Is it pok to put them on the grass then?

Thanks for your help Very Happy
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down