Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hay Question

5 posters

Go down

Hay Question Empty Hay Question

Post by FarplaceRescue Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:46 pm

I have a bit of a "situation" here. I usually buy good quality bales of hay from my local haulier. I have ponies, goats and sheep as well as the rabbits and so I buy lots at a time, and order more when I am getting low.
I have had a further 25 bales ordered for a while now, and wondered why it hadn't been delivered. Aparently, he's been on holiday to the Carribean (alright for some) and will get my order to me soon.
Tonight I am left with a couple of bales of 2yr old poor quality hay. It is dry and not showing any sign of mould, but it is poor nutritionally. The ponies, sheep and goats can eat it, along with forage mix etc, but I am worried about my rabbits.
I am hoping to get the new hay in the next few days (hopefully tomorrow) but what do I do between now and when the new order arrives?
They are currently on Burgess Supa Natural, which is a "muesli" mix with a lot of pellets in it, along with some fruit and veg, and at least 80% hay.
I can't get a to a pet shop for bags of hay, because there isn't a pet shop within 30 miles of here, and If I order online, delivery will probably take as long as my haulier will.
Is poor quality hay better than no hay at all?
Do I increase their other food to make up for the poor nutritional content of the hay?
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2011-08-16

http://www.farplace.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Hay Question Empty Re: Hay Question

Post by Sparky Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:04 pm

Is there not a local farm that could get a couple of bales to you?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:25 pm

can you not cut some grass with a pair of scissers? I think that is what i would do, and add it to the hay you have until the new hay arrives Smile
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:11 pm

Id prob try and hit some grass too. A grim job when its so cold outside though

im sure I read something in Jay's notes from the RWAF conference about how Buns can actually eat stuff with a poor nutritional value without experiencing too much harm (was obviously a lot more complicated than that) so I think so long as the hay you have isnt damp or rotten they will be okay with it for a couple of days as they will still be getting vits from the veggis etc.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:45 pm

As long as it isn't mouldy or anything then should be after all it is only a few days so i'm sure they will be fine.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by FarplaceRescue Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:25 pm

Thanks everyone. it's not mouldy or damp, and it doesnt smell funny. Plus they are eating it.... so it must taste a bit like hay. But I know its 2 years old, and it is very dry and yellow.
I have cut some grass from my meadow, but will wait until morning to feed it to them because it's covered in snow and ice at the moment.
Local farmers don't tend to use the standard bales of hay - just the huge round ones, that I can't store.
Hoping the delivery is tomorrow (and that the haulier can actually GET to me). We have a lot of snow and we are high up and remote.
Once again, many thanks folks
Jan x
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2011-08-16

http://www.farplace.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content