Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonding has commenced!

+7
Jay
Vince the bunny
KatieB
proudmummy
Josephine
Velvet.Tears
Rhianna
11 posters

Go down

Bonding has commenced! Empty Bonding has commenced!

Post by Rhianna Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Well, bonding of Furby and Faye (my new BARC bun) has commenced, somewhat later than planned. I worked all night Thursday and during the day on Friday so by the time I got in after shopping last night I was far too tired to start bonding. I did go and buy a new pen - deciding it was better than risking using an old one. I love the new one as it has panels so I am starting off small and can add to it. It will be useful for the garden in the summer to fence off parts I don't want the buns to get to as well.

At the moment they have a small four panel pen with a litter tray with hay in and a bottle of water - nothing else as they had already had breakfast. So far Furby has constantly humped poor Faye who is so much smaller. She seems to be coping OK so I am leaving them.

I am on-call tonight so will put the divider in the run if I have to go out. I know it's not ideal but with three jobs and working from home as a therapist I will never find a few days when I can spend 24/7 with the buns. I am going to sleep in the lounge with them tonight when I'm not working and am home all day tomorrow. It was the best I could arrange timewise.

When I took Faye to see my vet he thought she could be older than 12 weeks because her teeth are stained at the back. She could be the Mum of the other three she was found with. I have to wait and see if she grows. She is adorable and will make Furby a wonderful wife.

Happy bonding vibes would be appreciated. It's hard watching Furby hump Faye as she is so tiny but I know I have to let them sort it out for themselves. He isn't biting her at all and they do have breaks where they both sit in opposite corners of the pen.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Bonding has commenced! Empty Re: Bonding has commenced!

Post by Velvet.Tears Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:18 pm

Good luck. Bonding vibes coming your way.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:32 pm

Happy and successful bonding vibes on their way. Good Luck.
x
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:40 pm

aww sounds like you doing a fab job.

i cannot believe where you find the time xxx
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2271
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Good Luck.

I take it from all the humping that Furby must be feeling much better! ha ha ha
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:15 am

Best of luck with the bonding, I hope it goes smoothly for you.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 pm

How's it going? Good luck Thumbs Up
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:13 pm

It seems to be going well. I was called out to work last night and took the risk of leaving them in together. I gave them a double bowl of food which was gone when I got back from work.

Furby does thump a lot - more so yesterday than today. I think he is probably fed-up being in such a small space as he is used to much bigger. Faye's hutch is my smallish spare one (usually used for storage of newspaper, shredded paper and hay) so she has about the same amount of space. I wasn't going to buy a new hutch just for a few days.

There has been no aggression and they sit side by side or face to face. No grooming as yet. They are both sitting by an empty food bowl at the moment with four eyes telling me it's time for teatime noms Wink The weird thing is that Furby is now eating carrot whereas when he was on his own he wouldn't. Maybe he needed to see that it was edible and safe for bunnies or something!!!

I am pleased with how it is going. I hate seeing them in a small space but know it is too soon to add panels to their run.

The only real downside is how freezing my house is. If I ever bond again it will be in the summer!!!!

Thank you for your support everyone. I am really hopeful that I will soon have two happily loved up buns.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:32 pm

Glad it seems to be going well.

I wonder if whatever happened to Furby before has affected how he treats food now. Maybe having a new lovely wife will sort out his eating habits and he'll be eating everything and worrying you less.

Nose rubs to all concerned!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:45 pm

What a great thought Katie. I like that Very Happy You could well be right as Furby probably didn't have many different foods while he was at Lymington. He came straight from there to me, not going to a rescue first, so I guess he may not have even seen a carrot before. He certainly seems to approve now but can't have too much because of watching his figure.

Faye, on the other hand, is a slight little thing who may still be growing (depending on how old she is).

I've text some photos to Lara on another forum and she will put them up tomorrow and then hopefully I can transfer some of them on here Wink

At the moment Faye is sitting with her face underneath Furby's. I think she likes her big, strong husbun Very Happy

It's weird - part of me finds bonding anxiety provoking and scary and part of me absolutely loves it. I think seeing two buns who have been alone 'find' each other and form a bond is an amazing sight to witness. It really moves me (yes, I know I am a soppy being where animals are concerned Embarassed )

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:36 pm

Pleased it seems to be going well Very Happy
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by becky Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:10 pm

Glad its all sounding good babe Very Happy

becky
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2714
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Agoutibunny Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:26 pm

Hope it's still going well.

Come on Furby, be nice and give your new bun-wife a rest from the humping!
Agoutibunny
Agoutibunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:12 pm

Glad to hear it's going well, hope it all continues to go smoothly Smile
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:15 pm

Well today I extended their pen by adding two panels. They both looked so bored and fed-up I felt sorry for them. I also want to get them back outside asap as my house is like a fridge and my cats are muttering about leaving home Sad

I've put a little plastic stool and a toy in there too - both new. Furby celebrated the extra space by humping Faye. She had managed to escape the smaller pen so I put a net on it and have now added a rug as well and pegged it down.

I am going to have to neutralise Furby's hutch and run before he takes his wife home. Any ideas how I can do that would be appreciated.

I just hope the bigger space I have just given them doesn't cause problems. I'm pleased with the pen as it will be good to put in the garden in the summer. If I bought another one it would be a really good size.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:32 am

I don't have any exp. of bonding (that will change on Saturday) but it sounds as if it's going ok.
Rhianna wrote:I am going to have to neutralise Furby's hutch and run before he takes his wife home. Any ideas how I can do that would be appreciated.

Make up a solution of 1:10 parts Biological washing liquid/powder and water. Wash/scrub hutch with this, then rinse. When it's dry, get some surgical spirit and a cloth and wipe the hutch in that. Smile

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks Jay Very Happy

Just went in to check on the buns and Faye was nowhere to be seen!! There is a net and rug on top of the run now. I just kept looking in disbelief and then tried to work out if Furby looked fatter. I really thought he had eaten her.

I eventually found her behind the settee looking very pleased with herself! I still don't know how she got out. Have put even more pegs on the net. I think Faye is the Houdini of Bunnies!!!

Furby and Faye seemed to be co-existing happily enough but there is no grooming

Crying or Very sad

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down