Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bunny Ear Infection

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bunny Ear Infection Empty Bunny Ear Infection

Post by FudgesMummy Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:09 pm

hi all

i have a very sulkie bunster-fudge has an ear infection and also mites so feels quite sorry for himself and looks rather deshevelled poor little fellow.

we went to vets yesterday and he has been treated wtih xeno 450 so fur looks greasie and has 2drops in each ear twice a day which he hates....

anyone been through this...is it normal for him to have greasie fur and look all tired and fed up etc.. Rolling Eyes

just want my bouncie little chappie back...we have a review on august 6th and have to do the drops until then....
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Bunny Ear Infection Empty Re: Bunny Ear Infection

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Awww poor lad !!

Are the eardrops called CANAURAL ?
If so it will be that causing his greasy fur as some of the medication will come out of the ears as Bun shakes his head.
I have a Bun on Canaural at the mo' and he looks like he's put Brylcream on his head and back Shocked
You can minimise how much of the drops come out of the ear by massaging the ear base for a couple of mins after applying the drops. Also, wipe away any visible excess with a cottonwool pad.
I hope your boy is better soon

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:28 pm

Aw poor Fudgey... has he also been given a jab for his ear mites?
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:24 pm

Thanks guys
Fudge has had a course of xeno 450 for the mites as the vet didnt want to use the unlicenced injection.

yes its the canaural stuff and yes looks like brlycream....he also seems very subdued but happy to munch tonight...think he is just feeling sorry for himself at the moment.

he is spending lots of time snuggled on his blankie or head rested on his cushion...im letting him have quiet time as much as possible as he isnt in mood to cuddle..wel cant really blame him when its me that has to do the drops which he hates!
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:13 am

morning all...

Fudge is looking so forlorn at the moment and is really miffed with me-done this mornings lot of drops and got smothered in it as he shook his head really disgruntledly but it has to be done...being a lop it goes everywhere i wondered if it would be safe to pop some cottonwool in his ear until it had dribbled down his ear canal...or whether that would bug him more Bunny Ear Infection Icon_rolleyes

i dont know how fudge is going to respond to me after two weeks of ear drops Bunny Ear Infection Icon_sad

how have you all been keeping your bunny spirits up when they look so fed up and bedraggled as the last thing he wants to do is cuddle me as im evil in his eyes/ears! Sad
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Faunus Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:37 am

Poor Fudge - if he normally enjoys a cuddle then I would spend extra time with him so not all the attention is for meds.

Maybe give him a new toy, new cardboard box or something to take his mind off his problems?

Good Luck
Faunus
Faunus
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 553

http://www.bmdshare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:01 am

Awwwww poor lad
I wouldn't put anything into his ear canal but you could wipe away any excess drops.

Groom him too. He probably wont want to groom himself as he's all greasy
I use Asissi Grooming Lotion, on my Buns not on me !! Laughing
http://www.bunnybazaar.com/more/on/details/GROOM

His ear infection may be painful so your Vet may agree to him having some Metacam ( a non steroidal anti-inflammatory ) for a few days. Although the Canaural does contain an anti-inflam it is sometimes not enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:42 pm

Huggles ans snuggles to poor Fudgey x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:25 pm

hello
i took fudge back to the vet tonight-i rang matt on my way to work and explained he just wasnt himself. jim saw him tonight and has given him an anti-inflam injection to open up his ear canals as the infection had takne hold and was making him sore and tired.

i was meant to be going for a run tonight but going to have my tea shortly, shower and then snuggle with my bunster.

i will give him a good brush and perhaps some carrot chunks as a treat
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:49 pm

Hopefully the anti-inflam' will take the edge off his discomfort, poor lad.

Back to top Go down

Bunny Ear Infection Empty fudges update-im still grumpy!

Post by FudgesMummy Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:37 am

Wave morning all x

well im one deshevelled bunny at the moment-mummy is still putting the nasty drops in my ears so im grumpy as i really dont like that No they make me feel all sad but mummy says i have to be good as they will make my ears less hurty and get rid of the horrid infection.

mummy and aunty maz gave me a wash last night with a fluffy face cloth and some warm water and get rid of some of the nasty stuff on my fur-this meant i actually groomed myself last night as my fur didnt taste yuck!

mummy ringing the vets this morning for more drops Hmmm not sure i like that thought but mummy says i ahve to keep wiht my drops til i see matt the vet on august 6th.

on the brighter side im eating loads and enjoying my charge about time as i have more energy as my ears are less hurty although i do spend lots fo time snuggld on my blankie with my bear and mummy bunny toy for company.

mummy off to work so best go have a nose rub

love fudge

(mummy says hello xx)
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:42 am

Awwww Fudge I am glad your ears are a bit better Smile

What a good boy you are to let your Mummy put those pesky drops in. I hope you will soon be completely better

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:23 am

hi aunty jane
those drops are really really pesky! (I like that word!)
they dribble everywhere and make pretty patterns when i throw my ears about.....hehehehehe...normally covering mummy in them Laughing

mummy has taken to snuggling me in a fluffy towel so i cant escape and puts me on the table so i cant run away,...i let mummy do it as she then massages are my ears and gives me parsley....yummy yummy!

well off to lounge and have quiet time whilst mummy working hard to earn pennies to keep me in the style i have become acustomed!
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:30 am

Aw hello fudge, I am glad to hear you are being good and taking your meds! Get well soon x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:39 am

Wave morning-just bouncing by before mummy goes to balance class (she will never be well-balanced but you cant tell her!) Laughing

mummy STILL giving me those pesky ear drops but think my ears are definately less hurtie. mummy has been a bit sneaky doing my drops as she has been really worried about totally stressing me out but when she does them she gives me nose rubs and kisses and massages my ears Rolling Eyes then i waggle them...... Laughing

mummy gave me another wash with the fluffy thing the other night and it was brill....really cooled me off in the heat and got rid fo the yucky taste of drops from my fur so i felt like washing myself again.

well back at vets next wedsnesday to see uncle matt i really really hope i dont get more pesky drops No

hugs and bunny bounces, fudge xxx
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:42 am

Awwwww Fudge you are such a good boy !!

I am everso curious ( well, OK , I'm nosey Laughing ) but what are the Balance classes your Mum goes to Hmmm

I have visions of her tightrope walkng !! Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:51 am

Laughing fudge tries to imagine his mummy not falling off the tightrope....she cant stand up straight on the ground... Rolling Eyes
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:56 pm

Well I hope the classes are helping Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:20 pm

hiya jane
my small bunster is snuggled up with his blankie looking feeble!

im not long back from the beach where i had my godson for the afternoon-he was definately in a mood and was a little monster.

i do two different balance classes-on a tuesday i do the bodybalance class which is the workout that combines yoga, pilates and tai chi then on a thursday i do a balance, stretch, flex and tone type workout again in a class.

with the neuro issues i have it has really helped me improve in balance, co-ordination and strenght and my body shape is amazing now aswell Thumbs Up
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:35 pm

I have heard so many people sing the praises of Pilates !!

I'm glad your efforts are helping Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:29 pm

*humph* I turn my back for a snooze and mummy logs in! silent

mummy now doing drops once each day as it was stressing me outtoo much-so far today no pesky drops in my ears....dont remind mummy will you!!! Laughing

mummy seems very tired but was on about someone being a nightmare-hope she wasnt referring to me!
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:53 pm

I do hope that the pesky Vet will say 'no more ear drops' when you have your next appointment Fudge.
If not I suggest you do a BIG wee on the examination table......... Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:12 pm

im a refined bunster dont you know-i really do only piddle in my litter tray like mummy taught me

mummy didnt know if she was doing the right thing wiht my drops-with feelng grumpy and the extra hot last few days she hasnt want to stress me *humph like she really cares* so has only been putting me through them once a day-apparently i am a real big baby with my drops....
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Bunny Ear Infection Empty BEEN BACK TO THE VET (6th august)

Post by FudgesMummy Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:29 pm

Hiya Gang

Fudge was back at the vet for a check on his ears today-we are slowly winning the battle but the infection still hasn't cleared properly so Matt has prescribed some more ear drops and to work alongside it some oral anti-biotics to keep things in check. We also have the second dose of xeno to combat any mites.

Fudge isn't happy with me for the drops and the baytril and we've sent some samples off to the lab to see what type of infection he has in his ears. With him having pet insurance Matt wanted to get to the bottom of the problems and given we are now into over the £45 excess basically he is chucking everything at getting to the bottom of it. My credit card melted as todays consultation, drugs, etc etc came to £100...but given I love my boy what else can I do?

Fudge is getting a little more trusting of me but that will probably change with the continued drops...advice of keeping him in love wiht his mummy would be greatful.

hugs
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:42 pm

Awwwwww I was hoping Fudge would not need any more ear drops. Still, its good news that the infection is starting to clear up Smile

Tastey treats should help win Fudges trust !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next