Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Domino has an abscess

+18
Karen1980
Thumper2001
Josie
Becki
NSD
Dawnbunny
Catsknickers
jolovesbunnies
Josephine
LilyGrace
Jay
Tuckerbunnies
Rosie Rabbit
KatieB
wizbit
NickieM
Happy Hoppers
SarahJane
22 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Domino has an abscess Empty Domino has an abscess

Post by SarahJane Mon May 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Thought I would start a new thread as I want to keep tabs on it right from the start.

He saw the vet, she said his feet are bad Sad He has 1.5ml of septrin twice a day, for 14 days.
He isnt allowed out in the shed as its attached to the run which is concrete. So he is in the outhouse at the moment, bedded with hay and rockys huge dog bed cushion.
The girls will join him once he eats his septrin/greens dinner. if he doesnt eat it i will have to give him the meds orally.

So....he we go. Round two. I wont let him down.
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Domino has an abscess Empty Re: Domino has an abscess

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon May 09, 2011 7:11 pm

Sorry to hear it's been confirmed as an abscess SJ. I'm glad you got the Septrin OK though. Personally I never had real issues getting it down a rabbit myself, the orange flavoured one at least.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon May 09, 2011 7:25 pm

He gobbled it up once he decided it wasnt suspicious Laughing

We will be okay, I have told him he isnt going anywhere. She was more than happy to perscribe Septrin to me which was good.
I just have to keep telling myself that he isnt Peanut..... it doesnt mean he has a death sentance, it has literally been there a matter of a days he was fine Saturday. Hopefully this will nip it in the bud and while its something we have to be careful with and wary about, it will be over in 2 weeks.
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon May 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Good thing he is such a greedy lump and likes eating. Of course, you'll remember how things went with PB. I felt the same when Felix had his bad eye. You've caught it quickly and that can only be good. Fingers crossed xx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by wizbit Mon May 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Sorry to hear this SJ but you have caught it early on. Glad to hear that Domino is behaving himself and taking his medicine like a good boy. Shame I didn't leave those foam tiles with you that Bertie and Daisy had.

x

wizbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2011-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon May 09, 2011 9:48 pm

Sorry to hear that its an abscess SJ. Domino has the best and most experienced mummy he could have and I just know he is going to be fine.

Sending him lots of cuddles and hugs for you too honey.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Mon May 09, 2011 10:58 pm

Oh I'm sorry to hear this. Sad

He has every chance of recovering well though, glad the Septrin is proving palatable! Good luck and keep us updated. x
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue May 10, 2011 9:12 am

Well its kind of a catch 22, he is too chubby he needs to lose weight, but he wont take septrin off any greens, he smells it and ignores it, like he knows it shouldnt smell like that.

He will it off mashed banana, or he will eat it off a bit of dried brown bread :/ Im not happy about giving him too much of either.

However, it broke my heart to see my bond break down with Peanut, he ended up hating me and hiding shaking whenever i went near him and....I cant do it to him, we have such a close bond and he is already a bit wary of me after all the feet checking.

So do I just syringe it and stress him, or is it okay to give him what he wants if he is taking the meds stress free? personally i would rather give him what he wants because I dont want him to hate me and i know thats bad Sad

They are going out in the run 8:30am - evening every day to try and get him more active, (not their run they have 24 hr access to, the one on the grass!), so fingers crossed.

SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue May 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Oh sorry to hear Domino has an abscess Sad sending him lots and lots of 'healing' vibes xxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue May 10, 2011 1:44 pm

Have bought this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-EVA-Kennel-Pet-Puppy-Dog-House-Floor-Mat-10mm-/120468456972?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item1c0c7ac60c#ht_2259wt_821

for the flooring, its 6 x 4 so it will fit perfectly in the shed and it means there is no edges for him to chew. he chewed the interlocking floor tiles before so hopefully this will stop that.

SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by wizbit Tue May 10, 2011 1:57 pm

That looks great SJ, much better not to have 'joins' for him to nibble on - that's the problem we have as you know. How are his feet today? x

wizbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue May 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Theyre alright, you can definately see the infection, its a tiny tiny white dot, but its the fact its so soft and squishy that you can tell. Not expecting to see any improvement for around a week really as i know abx take a while to work.

They are currently all living in the boarding room while I sort out their home! Going to put that flooring in when it comes and hopefully that will improve things.

i didnt like paying £30 for something I cant see but...it does seem good, im happy its 6 x 4!

He seems happy in himself, they are out in the run at the moment and he is hopping about. not looking forward to leaving him on friday - im back in Bournemouth for a week, but I know Mum will look after him.
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by wizbit Tue May 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Well, the main thing is that you spotted it quickly and the infection is small so hopefully the abx should do their stuff and clear it all up.

I know what you mean about buying something withoug seeing it but I think that flooring that you have bought will be perfect - your advice about putting Daisy on the foam tiles has definitely helped her feet.

Try not to worry about leaving Domino he will have had a few days worth of abx by then and you know that your mum will take good care of him. Sending you and Domino a hug. x

wizbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue May 10, 2011 8:07 pm

I'm so sorry you're being put through this again SJ, but you have learned so much in the meantime, and thank Goodness you caught it early Hugs
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue May 10, 2011 8:40 pm

I know, I keep thinking how lucky it is I had surgery. If I hadnt id be at uni, and then who knows. its so so tiny its not even visable really, its only because I know the signs from Peanut that I knew, if Peanut hadnt been ill I wouldnt have known how serious it was.

Someone was looking over us last weekend thats for sure.
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 pm

Would they let you inject? I have just had Felix to the vet because he has developed a couple of abscesses on his face. They have taught me to inject under the skin and that's how I will get the septrin into him.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue May 10, 2011 11:09 pm

She said they would only recommend injecting if it was a bigger one, or if the septrin doesnt work this time. Because its only tiny we are doing orally first.

We were never offered injections with peanut unfortunately. xx

SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Wed May 11, 2011 10:49 am

AAARGH. I'm so annoyed with myself. Im telling myself to be strong and not to let it get to me, and I am trying so hard, but im cracking already.

This morning he did something he has never ever done. Often the buns run away from me but more...hop away, this morning he bolted when he saw me, he ran SO fast and hid behind his wicker basket and was quivvering, and when I move the basket he closed his eyes and backed against the wall. He was terrified.

But I dont understand why, i havent been syringing the meds, hes getting it on food. I think he is scared of me picking him up and looking at his foot, but I have to!

It is worse today you can fully see the infection its about a 3mm circle of white. It looks like its burst.

I feel stupid because its not....massively bad yet, but i know what it could mean and I am so scared I am either going to lose him.......or, he wont be Domino anymore. Peanut changed so much and it got to the point where his life was...nothing. he was petrified all the time, and he wasnt cheeky, he wouldnt try and get food, he was like a shell.

Domino has such a big personality, if it disappears it will break my heart.

I'm sorry for this post I dont want to be all upset but i just needed to tell you all Sad
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Wed May 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Have been reading this thread but not commented yet! So sorry to hear this, it is really upsetting when they are scared of you but its because you have to do something which is necessary. It's not quite the same, but sometimes Thistles feet get a bit sore and I have to put cream on them a few times a day for about a week and he even changes a little bit then, he hates it...so I can imagine how much worse it must be for you.

You are doing the best for him and you are so passionate about their care, so you are bound to get upset. If he is feeling poorly he may just be out of sorts anyway, so it is probably just temporary. Do you think it would maybe help to spend a bit of extra bonding time with him so that he doesn't just associate you with feet checking??

Stay strong! Hugs
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed May 11, 2011 9:30 pm

Oh honey, I know exactly how you feel, having been through what you did with peanut its not surprising.

Worrying about your bun is the worst feeling, i hope you are okay.

If it has burst could that be a good thing? All that poison isnt inside now, and perhaps it will help it heal (im sorry if ive got that wrong).

He was maybe in pain as it had burst and knew you would be looking at it and thats why he was sheepish.

How has he been this afternoon??
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Wed May 11, 2011 10:11 pm

I dont really know, i think its worse :/ but i cant remember.

I just feel scared because I feel like I know how it ends.
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed May 11, 2011 11:35 pm

I am so sorry for you SJ, because you went through such a terrible time before, but things might be much better. You have spotted this really early and got treatment quickly. Try to stay positive. xx Hugs Hugs
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Thu May 12, 2011 12:31 am

I am so sorry to hear of your problems with Domino. Sending him lots of healing vibes and Hugs for you.
x
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu May 12, 2011 1:13 am

Topping up the healing Vibes for Domino xxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by wizbit Thu May 12, 2011 8:42 am

Hey SJ

How is he today? Do try not to get upset when he runs from you, you know that it's only because he doesn't want you touching his foot at the moment, they very quickly get wise to things like that. You are doing your absolute best for him and you mustn't assume that what happened to peanut will happen again, remember, you are much more experienced in this now so you can do things differently. If it's worse, is it worth having a word with your vet on the phone to see about possibly changing to injectable abx?

Sending you a big hug and nose rubs for Domino. xx

wizbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next