Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reactions to VHD vaccines

2 posters

Go down

Reactions to VHD vaccines Empty Reactions to VHD vaccines

Post by RWAF Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:02 pm

"There have recently been some concerns expressed regarding reactions to VHD vaccines. These can happen, and the most common issues are being off colour for 1-2 days, becoming lame on one front leg, and developing a skin lesion at the site of injection, which can range from mildly irritating to the loss of skin. It is important to discuss any concerns you might have, in advance of vaccination, with your vet, and if your rabbit has a reaction, to discuss this with them, and request that they submit an official suspected adverse reaction form to the company. Only if this is done, can drug companies identify risks and act appropriately. Vaccination can prevent this horrible, fatal disease, so, even if your rabbit has had a reaction in the past, discuss the issue with your vet, as a different vaccine make may be given, or steps can be taken to minimise the risk and severity of any future reactions."

Richard Saunders

BSc(Hons)BVSC CertZooMed CBiol MRCVS

RWAF Veterinary Advisor
RWAF
RWAF
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-02-07

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Reactions to VHD vaccines Empty Re: Reactions to VHD vaccines

Post by Jay Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks for posting that Ros, these cases do indeed need reporting. I'm surprised that it doesn't mention the Cylap 'limp' - possibly the most known side effect. I spoke to the British Veterinary Assoc. about this very issue yestreday, and they advised that as well as reporting it to the companies, it needs reporting to Defra's Veterinary Medicines Directorate via the Yellow form 'Report a Suspected Adverse Reaction'. Perhaps you could pass this on to your members.

Reports can be made to the following:
Pfizer, who make Cylap:
Ramsgate Road
Sandwich
Kent CT13 9NJ
Telephone:
0845 300 8034 (Out of hours: 01304 616161)

Email:
UKVetLine@pfizer.com

Ceva, who make Lapinject:

Ceva Animal Health Ltd
Address:
90 The Broadway
Chesham
Buckinghamshire
HP5 1EG
Telephone:
01494 781510

Email:
cevauk@ceva.com

Animal Care who male Anivac:

Animalcare Limited
Address:
Common Road
Dunnington
York YO19 5RU
Telephone:
01904 487687

Email:
animalcare@animalcare.co.uk

The only concern for me is that now there is a vaccine that is not suspended in mineral oil, and thus has no (yet) reported side effects, that owners are put into a lottery as to whether they get Cylap, Lapinject or Anivac.

There has been concern for years about the former, and although Lapinject was used as a vaccination with less side effects, it was originally developed for farmed rabbits and so only can in 5 dose vials - presenting owners with either the 50% risk that there may be a bad reaction, or a potentially very expensive (too much for many) alternative.

Now Anivac is here, its my opinion that the Cylap issue has become a welfare issue. Why should owners who are perhaps ignorant of the effects, oe whose vets will not order Anivac, have to watch their rabbit(s) suffer needlessly? I hope the RWAF & Richard Saunders will see it this way too and engage with the BVA and relevant authoritites to bring either an end to the use of Cylap, or a change in formulation that makes it less risky to rabbits.

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down