Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outcome of our vet trip.

+2
Tuckerbunnies
Thumper2001
6 posters

Go down

Outcome of our vet trip. Empty Outcome of our vet trip.

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:48 pm

So... yesterday Thumper went in for a dental because she'd stopped eating her pellets. When I phoned just before 2 they said she wasn't coming round as well as they'd hoped, but by the back of 4 they said that I could take her home. She was still well out of it and her back legs were not working, she was falling everywhere, it was scary. Within another few hours, she was much better. I managed to get her to eat a mange tout and a tiny bit of apple but she wasn't interested in the food. No wees or poos either Sad

The vet said her teeth weren't all that bad and he wouldn't have thought that would be the reason she wasn't eating, unless she is particularly sensitive. Which I guess she could be given her old age.

My heart sank when I got up to check on her during the night and the food was still untouched. But we had wees and poos! By the time I got up at 6.30, the food was still there. Last night, I counted out how many bits were going in so I counted them again and she had eaten a whole 3 pieces. Whoopy Sad

So I threw it out and refilled it. I left her in peace for a while and when I went back, only two bits left!!!!! I filled it again and its all gone. She's eaten a total of 30 bits now!! (Check me counting lol)

Aside from the eating issues, he said that her tumor is quite nasty and that she's losing a bit of quality in her body, but there's nothing we can do about that.

And she's going blind in her right eye! Poor toot!

One thing has come clear from all of this, she's not getting a GA again, it just knocked her for six and I think it would be unfair to do it to her again.

Thanks again for all the well wishes, you have all been great Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Outcome of our vet trip. Empty Re: Outcome of our vet trip.

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:23 am

Oh Bless her, Poppet the bunny that we had with a tumour in her tummy we found had good days and bad days for eating. We use to be so excited if we saw her eating and then the next day she wouldn't eat and Mike would syringe feed her if she stopped eating for so many days, Danny who also had a tumour would eat well but Mike would syringe feed him as well to put some weight on him.
It's surprising how excited you get when they do eat something, I can remember running to tell Mike that Poppet had eaten her cabbage leaf it wasn't a big one, just a small cabbage leaf but she had eaten it all and it meant so much to us. You do count we use to.

Sending mega 'healing' Vibes for your special girl xxxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:49 am

Hugs Hugs Hugs
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1574
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks Tuckerbunnies and Josie Smile

I was delighted this morning when i got up and she had eaten all her food but came home from work today and there was still breakfast in the bowl Sad but like you say, maybe it will be good days, bad days. She has been picking at in this evening.

She is still a little bit quieter than usual, so hopefully when she's back to herself the eating will pick up.

Tuckerbunnies, do you have any experience with bunnies losing their sigh? Either partially or totally?

Thanks again Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:24 pm

aww, hope she gets better!! if she is old, it will take her that bit longer to recover from the GA though! is she eating any hay?

give Thumper a hug from me! Hugs
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:46 pm

Your gona think I'm nuts, but believe it or not, she doesn't eat hay.

In the 10 years I've had her, she never really has. She has a constant supply but it all ends up in the bin.

I don't know if maybe the people who had her before never gave her any so she just got out of the way of eating it. Saying that though, last night, she ate a tiny bit - I was amazed!!!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:51 am

Thumper2001 wrote:Thanks Tuckerbunnies and Josie Smile

I was delighted this morning when i got up and she had eaten all her food but came home from work today and there was still breakfast in the bowl Sad but like you say, maybe it will be good days, bad days. She has been picking at in this evening.

She is still a little bit quieter than usual, so hopefully when she's back to herself the eating will pick up.

Tuckerbunnies, do you have any experience with bunnies losing their sigh? Either partially or totally?

Thanks again Smile

We have a totally blind bunny now that's Baby Saint and we lost Angel last year and he was totally blind. Baby Saint is blind and very damaged
and disabled but is amazing if you take her out to give her medication and put her back in her play pen with Helen her Mum she get's disorientated and will go round in circles but soon settles once she knows where she is. When we would take Angel out of his indoor home and put him in his play pen he always did a lap right round the room fist as if he was making sure everything was in the same place, Angel was one of the happiest bunnies I have ever know despite his blindness and Baby Saint is the same and they are so loving as they are dependant on you. Angel was forever washing Mike's face as if to say Thank you when Mike use to pick him up he was such a lovely little bunny.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Thank you. You've made me feel a lot better about the sight thing.

Baby Saint sounds lovely, Angel too, I'm sorry you lost him Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:05 pm

Im really glad she came through okay hun - Im sending her lots of cuddles bless her. x x

How is she doing this afternoon!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi Katie,

She is back to her normal cheeky self following the GA but she's still not eating as much as she did. Food still in the bowl this morning and again when I got home from work. Yet if I offer her mange tout she'll take it every time!

There's nothing wrong with the food either because I bought a new bag - just in case. She is still eating, just doesn't have the same appetite.

I really don't get it!

Thanks for asking Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:30 pm

Poor little love has been through it but she has a fantastic mum.

Please give her a nose rub from me and let us know how she gets on.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks Jo Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:16 pm

You are very welcome love.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down