Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hutch Cleaning

+6
KatieB
Vince the bunny
Tuckerbunnies
Jay
jolovesbunnies
Frog39
10 posters

Go down

Hutch Cleaning Empty Hutch Cleaning

Post by Frog39 Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:22 pm

How often do you clean out your hutches? I've got 2 rabbits in a 6 x 2 x 2 hutch with 6x3 run attached. Angus is a really good boy and only poos in the one corner in the enclosed section of the hutch. Mhairi on the other hand just poos everywhere! Inside, outside - she doesn't care! She is a messy rabbit and often has really soft mushy poos which makes a real mess of the hutch. When we got her from the SSPCA they told us she had this mushy poo problem and the vet has said there is no medical reason why she does this. We've tried cutting back on her pellets (Bergess Excel) and greens but to no avail. Anyway, the upshot is we have to clean the hutch out daily as it's just so messy and I don't like leaving them in a pooey hutch! We are trying to 'litter train' her but not having alot of luck. We've got one large litter tray inside but if I put in more this is taking away their area space. What do you think? Should I add more litter trays or just do the daily clean? I also have 2 hay racks up on the hutch wall but they pull alot of the hay out onto the floor so then it gets comtaminated by poo too! Rolling Eyes Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! albino

Frog39
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-08-30

Back to top Go down

Hutch Cleaning Empty Re: Hutch Cleaning

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Sorry Frog dear, my bunny is a house bunny but I clean my guiea pigs out every other day. Sorry I cannot be more help but there are lots of lovely people here who will advise.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:02 pm

Do you need to completely clean every day, or could you just remove the soiled hay and refresh, then proper clean every 2-4 days? AFAIK, hutches should be cleaned twice a wekk, but Im sure omeone wlse will advise you, as I don't have outdoor buns!

Have you tried clicker training Mhairi ( lovely name Smile )to use her tray?

Our forum expert Anne McBride wrote a really good instruction article on it for Rabbit Awareness week, and the video at the bottom of the page is my last rabbit, bertie Smile
see: http://www.rabbitawarenessweek.co.uk/fun/how-to-clicker-train-your-rabbit
And there's more info on it here http://clickerbunny.com/
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:17 pm

We clean out fully every other day as we have so many buns and we clean litter trays out every other day. We always take wet or soiled bedding out every day Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:40 pm

My trio used to be very clean, but now they wee all over the place including their bed, and poo everwhere too. They have 3 litter trays, one in each hutch and one in the run, they use them but also everwhere else too! I just clean them round every day, or twice even if it;s really bad.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:14 pm

What are you using in their litter tray / cage at the mo?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog39 Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm just putting lots of hay in the tray.
She frequently sits in it munching hay (or sleeping) and she does do some poos but not alot! This morning was awful - the outside run (attached to the hutch) was just a mess with mushy wet poos. Both rabbits had managed to get it on their fur too - Angus even had it on his ears! It's really getting frustrating - she is happy and healthy but just so messy. There was wet patches over the concrete too - don't know if it was very dark pee or diarrhea (sorry to be so graphic!) I'm just at my wits end because it is so time consuming - HELP! pale

Frog39
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:41 pm

depending on whos in, if its rose its every day all of it as she just poops for fun, twinkle just clean her tray out every day as her jasper and the 2 babies use it roman and thumper its every other day. might not seem like often but they are out all day and evening so dont have to do much but out rose refuses to come out of her hutch atm! Suspect
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:46 pm

Have you tried the litter tray in a different place? When my pair were in a hutch I put the litter tray in the open bit as I always think the buns look at their most alert and vulnerable when going to the loo and so want to be able to see what is coming at them. The other question that I would ask is whether the litter tray is big enough for both buns. I use one of the large cat ones for my buns so they can both use it at once but if there is territory issues then you might want to add a second tray away from the first one.

I don't know what others think but maybe the buns need to be confined to the hutch for a while so Mhari can learn to use the tray - that is what you would do with house buns. And it is a short term plan - about a week should do it. And just keep putting the poo in the tray so she gets the idea.

You say you have cut back on pellets have you tried cutting them out all together or trying a different type? You didn't say how old she is but Youngish rabbits often have problems with squishy poo. Bruce did until about a year old. But I also changed his food to excel light on the advice of a friend of mine who's rabbits experienced lots of gastro-intestinal issues. And it reduced the squishy poo a lot. Supreme are also making a new food called vetcare plus available via vets that comes in a digestive health formula that might be worth trying. You could also try feeding herbs instead of veg. You can follow the same principles as for humans so herbs like mint and fennel for digestion, chamomile for it's calming properties.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:12 pm

Both of mine live outside and are now litter trained (but slightly messy as they like to dig in the litter tray and send poo flying!)

I have two litter trays, one which Tigger had since she was little and placed in a corner where she always went to the toilet. The other I got since I adopted Jeeves back in April and have tried it in two different places and one of which they definately prefer. So I'd suggest you try moving the litter tray around, place it where she likes to go, or where she tends to go more.

I had some trouble litter training. When I first had Tigger she simply taught herself to go to the loo in the litter tray without me having to give her any direction. But when I adopted Jeeves things got a little confused. Of course he wasn't litter trained what with being in rescue so there was lots of scattering. I got two toilets since there were two of them and waited a while to see if Jeeves would pick it up like Tigger did, he didn't. I then tried putting a bit of hay in the corner of the tray for them to eat but this only seemed to confuse them both as they then learnt where there is hay, we can toilet! I then reverted back to a simple litter tray and making a point of catching the blighters if I thought they were going to toilet, I'd say no, pick then up and put them in the litter tray and then praise them when they did their stuff in the right place! Also if I found poo outside of the toilet I'd pick it up and make a point of putting it in the litter tray.

They are both so much better now, they just like to have a dig and send stuff flying and then toilet where they dug a hole in the litter. Sometimes they will still poo just outside of the toilet and when I pick it up and empty it often Jeeves will go to that corner and do his business in those split 30 seconds! Just proves he knows where to go he's just a little awkward Laughing

I clean the two toilets out in the morning and at night before putting them to bed.

I wipe down surfaces and change the bedding 2 times a week.

The house gets a general sweep out every morning and sometimes the night too depending on moult.

Sorry if this was slightly rambly, I've laid here and typed it all on my phone Hmmm

I'd just say it's a matter of what you try and what works for your buns.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrybunny Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi i only have one rabbit he is called Henry and he is a dutch rabbit i clean him out every day but only his litter tray. I do a big clean out every week which is when i completely change the hay and hose out his run so his whole hutch is completely clean. Good luck! Very Happy

Henrybunny
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:25 pm

You triggered a thought in the back of my mind there dotdot. Bruce and Flo make more out of litter tray 'deposits' when they feel the litter tray is too dirty. So it is emptied every morning and cleaned with white vinegar once a week. The litter tray doesn't have to be very dirty for them to protest!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:16 pm

I was curious if that was why they did it. My pair use both but prefer one over the other so when that's full all hell breaks loose Laughing

Last edited by Dotdot on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog39 Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:22 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm going to buy another litter tray tomorrow and see how we get on - I'll work through all the suggestions til something works! If all else fails she's due a jag in October so I'll make sure I get an appt with the vet who is very rabbit orientated! Thanks again - fantastic to be able to get so much feed back Very Happy

Frog39
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:25 pm

Its a good idea to put something absorbent in the bottom of the litter tray and then pop the hay on top. It may be that she doesnt like the thought of getting the wee on herself if there isnt something absorbent in there......

If Daisy's tray gets at all dirty the little monster wont go in there!

Good luck hun x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:26 pm

No worries! It just really is a matter of what your buns adjust to.

If you ask a question here it's almost certain at least one of us has been through it, has ideas or can get professional insight.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:20 pm

My 2 are outdoors with 2 litter trays which i line with newspaper, litter then hay. I clean them out every day and sweep up the stray poops Laughing

Doesnt take long to do with not looking forward to doing them in winter No
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1574
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog39 Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:21 am

Can't get a hang of this 'quote' thing! Anyway - is it cat litter you buy to line the litter trays?

Frog39
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:14 am

I don't use the litter in the buns litter trays personally as Flo took against it a while back Laughing but she is an exception. I do use it with the g.pigs. The general advice is avoid the rabbit aimed ones as they are hugely over priced. I used yesterdays news for the pigs which is a recyled newspaper cat litter, the pine pellet cat litter is also used by many. However give you local country stores or equestrian shop a ring and ask if they stock Megazorb. Megazorb is a fragrance free wood pulp based horse bedding that is really soft, really absorbent and very light. It is cheaper than the other options and is much favoured by small animal owners.

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:38 am

Josie wrote:
Doesnt take long to do with not looking forward to doing them in winter No

yeah this is what has ran through my mind also, over the past 3 years the winter has been very bad round here will have to get me sel a pair of waiders and a duffle coat, how cute! Razz
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:48 pm

I use back 2 nature litter. It's specifically for small animals and reptiles and is made out of recycled paper.

A 30 litre bag will cost you approx £12/£13 which is good considering the 20 litre bag is £10! And extra 10 litres for £2/£3 when the 10 litre bags can cost £5/£6 on their own.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog39 Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Got another 2 litter trays and some pine pellets cat litter - they were very nosey as I was getting it all ready! Put in the hay and when I left they were both sitting in one each munching the hay. Very Happy Just home and looked in on them, they've managed to move 2 out of the way and poo'd beside them and the other has been turned upside down Laughing This is going to take some time! Wink

Frog39
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Put the same litter back in the tray with the poos - just keep doing this and they will get the message that the trays are staying and they are supposed to use them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down