Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a quality hay at a good price!

+7
NickieM
dizzylynn
SarahJane
Dotdot
fall3n-ang3l
marleyNfriends
KatieB
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Looking for a quality hay at a good price! Empty Looking for a quality hay at a good price!

Post by KatieB Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:09 am

With the imminent arrival of my new pair, im looking for a good hay for them. His Lordship will only eat organic meadow hay at £7 a bag for 425g, and Im rather hoping this pair dont have such expensive tastes.

Im looking for something I can get over the internet really as I dont want to give my money to pet shops that sell live animals. Ive tried the cheaper meadow hay on the hay experts but to be honest it was rubbish quality.

So im looking for something thats a nice quality, available online that I can use as a staple and mix with a nice timothy hay.

Any ideas?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Looking for a quality hay at a good price! Empty Re: Looking for a quality hay at a good price!

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:24 am

It depends what you call a good price. I was having this dilemma a while back, as buying baled farm hay from a local livery yard was getting to be a chew on.
I tried Hay for Pets and i payed £16 for about 9kg of Ings hay. Its organis, smelled lovely and fresh and was nice and green and the buns love it. Its lasted me 6 weeks, i need to order some more now. They also sell meadow hay and timothy and rye hay and you can buy small samples of each Smile
http://www.hayforpets.co.uk/
Someone also suggested the dustfreehay.co.uk - i think thats the website. Ive never tried them though because theyre a bit more expensive and HFP is closer to home.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Looking for a quality hay at a good price! Empty Re: Looking for a quality hay at a good price!

Post by fall3n-ang3l Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:11 am

ive ordered some from pet planet,its 17kg and its £16.99, i dont know what its like yet as iam waiting for it to come,so will let you know,i hope it comes soon as i opened a bag from p@h and its the first bag that is complete rubbish
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:24 am

fall3n-ang3l wrote:ive ordered some from pet planet,its 17kg and its £16.99, i dont know what its like yet as iam waiting for it to come,so will let you know,i hope it comes soon as i opened a bag from p@h and its the first bag that is complete rubbish

Ohhhh, let us know what you think of it! What sort of hay is it?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:29 am

marleyNfriends wrote:
fall3n-ang3l wrote:ive ordered some from pet planet,its 17kg and its £16.99, i dont know what its like yet as iam waiting for it to come,so will let you know,i hope it comes soon as i opened a bag from p@h and its the first bag that is complete rubbish

it was shipped out 2 days ago,so iam hoping i get it today or tom' heres the link for it,ive ordered before from pet planet and there delivery does take longer than other online stores

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=445&pf_id=59839
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:31 am

I know it's not on the internet but do you have any farms near you? We get a bail for £8 and with my two it lasts nearly 2 months. It's great quality and lovely and green and they go bonkers for it.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:17 pm

thanks everyone - ive just ordered some of the INGS hay from hay for Pets. See how we go! Will even see if his lordship will eat it!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Is there anywhere local to you where you could buy a bale? My three eat SO much I would struggle without one Laughing
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:30 pm

SarahJane wrote:Is there anywhere local to you where you could buy a bale? My three eat SO much I would struggle without one Laughing

Me too!!
Buying bags I would spend about £5 a week but now with a bale it averages out to £1 a week.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:01 pm

I get mine from farm up road now, only £5 a bail, straw not getting yet as dont have room for both, straw is mostly needed during winter tho so shouldnt cost to much as its cheaper than hay and dont need as much mostly in the sleeping area its needed.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:15 pm

I used to buy mine from a equine and countryside supplier. It came from about 45 miles away, was a lovely shade of green and smelt just gorgeous. Worth checking out where anyone with a horse gets theirs from.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:15 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:
http://www.hayforpets.co.uk/

I've just given hudad's credit card a bashing on there Happy Dance
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:31 pm

Glad you started this thread Katie, as everywhere in Falmouth seems to have ran out of hay!! I always get mine from trago mills, it's ultra cheep but huge bag and buttons loves it!! But they haven't had any in all week and they apparently aren't getting a delivery till end of next week!! Went to sainsburys and asda and even they had sold out! Obviously everyone who normally gets theirs from trago has had to buy anything they can find!! I may now have to do a bit of Internet shopping for some hay as I prob only have enough to last the weekend!!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:29 pm

I was going to suggest a local farm bale. I get mine from a farm and it smells lovely and the rabbits certainly enjoy it.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:13 pm

fall3n-ang3l wrote:
marleyNfriends wrote:

it was shipped out 2 days ago,so iam hoping i get it today or tom' heres the link for it,ive ordered before from pet planet and there delivery does take longer than other online stores

well if finally arrived today,after they sent me a bag of straw first grrrrrrrrrrrr well would i recomend it,the answer is no! although it has nice long strands and not all in bits,its a little dusty and my first handfull i got pricked by a thorn, up to now,its got lots of twigs and bramble in,so been picking that out,i will try hay for pets the next time
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:45 pm

fall3n-ang3l wrote:
fall3n-ang3l wrote:
marleyNfriends wrote:

well if finally arrived today,after they sent me a bag of straw first grrrrrrrrrrrr well would i recomend it,the answer is no! although it has nice long strands and not all in bits,its a little dusty and my first handfull i got pricked by a thorn, up to now,its got lots of twigs and bramble in,so been picking that out,i will try hay for pets the next time

Oh dear!
Well i ordered from HFP on Friday and it came lunch time today. The bunnies lovee it and its nice and green as usual. Im going to try some of the meadow hay from them next time
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:57 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:
Oh dear!
Well i ordered from HFP on Friday and it came lunch time today. The bunnies lovee it and its nice and green as usual. Im going to try some of the meadow hay from them next time

Which type did you order?

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:32 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:
marleyNfriends wrote:
Oh dear!

Which type did you order?

I bought the ings has as thats their specialty and its organic Smile They timothy and rye and meadow hay too, but i dont think those ones are organic
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:33 pm

I went to a different farm yesterday to try their hay, I can't believe how different it can be from different places.
The farm I used to get it from had green bits in but it was really thin, the new stuff seems huge in comparison and it is nearly all green!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:38 pm

It will depend what cut it is, but quality really does vary from one crop to the other and from season to season. The horsey hay this time of the year is horrible, so ive stopped buying it. Since using HFP theyre eating a lot more hay. Its more expensive but less hassle as i rarely have the time to go and pick up a bale of hay. Youd be amazed how much organising it takes Laughing Actually getting into the farm is a task in itself, they have a new security gate.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Crikey! That's a fancy farm. So many near me are like desolate apocalyptic villages, you walk around trying to find someone and it's nearly impossible!

It was so different to what I was used to that I questioned whether it was hay or not, they said it was meadow hay though so...

Looking online I got confused, looking for hay I also came across haylage.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:03 pm

haylage is cut earlier than hay and is richer and often damper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:40 pm

Our Ings came today. The nice lady two doors up had been looking after it since the courier delivered until hudad came home. It smells lovely and Rosie nommed straight into hers.

Hay for Pets gets a "Paws Up" from us albino
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:33 pm

Dotdot wrote:Crikey! That's a fancy farm. So many near me are like desolate apocalyptic villages, you walk around trying to find someone and it's nearly impossible!

It was so different to what I was used to that I questioned whether it was hay or not, they said it was meadow hay though so...

Looking online I got confused, looking for hay I also came across haylage.

Its because there had been a couple of cars stolen last year. So you cant get in without calling the number on the gate and then the farmer has to open it by calling another number on his phone. Its very clever. I have to admit, i hate wandering around trying to find people, luckily i used to have horses up there so its not too bad.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:42 pm

My girls have point blank refused to eat the last two lots of HFP hay!! Im stuck paying a fiver a day at the moment whilst I find one they'll eat that doesnt require a mortgage! pale
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next