Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

introducing new bunny into existing ones space

+2
Dotdot
icedancer
6 posters

Go down

introducing new bunny into existing ones space Empty introducing new bunny into existing ones space

Post by icedancer Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Ok I'm thinking aloud here, and ahead of myself.

I'm going to meet the cutie boy tomorrow, and if all goes well with the home check Florence will go to them for a weeks bonding session.

Will I have to do anything special for when I bring them both home though? Because they'll be living in what is currently Florences house and playpen. She's not bothered at all by anyone getting into the playpen with her, so she isn't territorial towards us, but I know that's no guarantee.

icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

introducing new bunny into existing ones space Empty Re: introducing new bunny into existing ones space

Post by Dotdot Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Well when I took Tigger for a weeks bunny bonding I did nothing to the house in preparation except for a general clean out of bedding and put new in the day they arrived.
Tigger wasn't territorial either, just a little dominant now! haha.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

introducing new bunny into existing ones space Empty Re: introducing new bunny into existing ones space

Post by icedancer Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Is she still humping the gorgeous Jeeves face?!

That's good to know, I didn't know if there was anything in particular I'd have to do. Ive just got everything crossed that everything works out.

I'm going to look at all the boys tomorrow, just in case she doesn't hit it off with the one I've chosen but does another one. Although in all honesty, she loves anyone who gives her attention, and the rescue are convinced the little boy is bored and desperate for a friend. So hopefully that combination will just click
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Just clean everything.

Back to top Go down

Post by bunlover Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:08 pm

have they been together before? if not you will need a neutralised space of around 4x4ft roughly (some buns need less some more) to bond in you can neutralise by washing in white vinegar and shaking bicarbonate of soda and hoovering up. you need to keep an eye on them for around 48 hours to begin with and then settle in allowing them gradually more space any space they are to go into should ideally be neutralised (see above cleaning) rabbits must establish dominance some bunnys are love at first sight and lick and cuddle as if its normal some bunnys will hump and chase and pull fur you should allow these behaviours but always separate a fight (locking on fast circling etc etc) it can be a stresful time but most bondings you can see how it will go within the first few hours! Smile good luck xxx

bunlover
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bunlover Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:09 pm

ps can she come with you to the rescue and choose her own boy? we took arhtur to pick his own wife and the bonding was much easier! we speed dated thorugh mesh and ruled out any with aggressive behaviour and whittled it down to the right bunny (well arthur was greedy actually and picked 2!!!)

bunlover
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:28 pm

I wish you the best of luck love and whoever he ultimately picks, I hope they wil be very very happy together.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:32 pm

bunlover wrote:ps can she come with you to the rescue and choose her own boy? we took arhtur to pick his own wife and the bonding was much easier! we speed dated thorugh mesh and ruled out any with aggressive behaviour and whittled it down to the right bunny (well arthur was greedy actually and picked 2!!!)

She's doing that. This is for once they come home together as newly weds Smile
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Jay suggests cleaning everything with a 10% solution of biological washing powder. Apparently, that removes all scent markings so Florence won't be so territorial. However, the whole room will probably have her markings somewhere so when you first get them back - I am assuming you will get the bun! Laughing - keep them in a small area to ensure she doesn't get stroppy once home. It will be easier to manage them in a smaller space and make it bigger once you realise things are going well.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by bunlover Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Ohhh confusion lol I fort you were bonding them in her pen that's why I was saying! I get it now! Yeh once newly weds just a clean out really I don't do anything more with mine Smile x

bunlover
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:00 pm

NickieM wrote:Jay suggests cleaning everything with a 10% solution of biological washing powder. Apparently, that removes all scent markings so Florence won't be so territorial. However, the whole room will probably have her markings somewhere so when you first get them back - I am assuming you will get the bun! Laughing - keep them in a small area to ensure she doesn't get stroppy once home. It will be easier to manage them in a smaller space and make it bigger once you realise things are going well.

I think we've both decided to go for it, after having lengthy discussions about everything. It just depends on the home check, which I am absolutely caching myself about, and then if Florence hits it off with him, or another bunny.

I'll try the washing powder, thinking about it I should wash the sofa throw too as she's on that all the time. As long as it doesn't fall apart from all the holes somebun put in it Rolling Eyes I'm going to get a rug to go under the playpen too, so do you think I should wait until the happy couple come home and then it down?
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:06 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the home check - they should be able to see that a bun would be lucky to live with you and Florence. If there's anything they want to see that you don't have, you will always have a chance to sort it out (perhaps an outside pen to give them time in the garden when the weather improves - that's about the only thing I can think of).

As for de-odorizing... when I had been *cough* Norty *cough* all round the living room, Humum gave everything (carpets, sofas, curtains, radiators - the lot) a good light spraying of a lemon-scented hutch cleaner. She thinks that might have helped stop me 'marking my territory' quite so enthusiastically...
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Did is work Sparky love, or were you a naughty little boy as usual and continued to mark LOL?

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down