Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

advice please

+4
Sparky
Thumper2001
KatieB
dizzylynn
8 posters

Go down

advice please Empty advice please

Post by dizzylynn Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi folks, I have noticed lately charlies inside walls are getting damp (moss) growing on them, I am scrubbing them twice a week with the reptile safe cleaner, (stronger than bleach and safe for all animals vets use it) I think it could be due to moisture in his hut, the other 2 are fine there walls arent doing this only his. I might rip his walls out and start again using the silver stuff I used on smokeys instead of the polystene roll that I used with charlies this could be causing it to be more moist, less ventilation could be another issue, I am going to drill some holes in his walls till I can get the time to redo it all.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

advice please Empty Re: advice please

Post by KatieB Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:16 am

I don't know what to suggest really Hun, what sort of home does he have?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:33 am

He has a play hut converted, I think its possible not getting enough air, the vents are at the back and its close to the fence. So maybe need to drill some holes round the base of the walls to let more air in, trouble is dont want him getting cold in the winter. I have scrubbed the walls the now, but will need to do it again in few days.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Very strange indeed. I just dont know what to suggest!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:08 pm

I know it's not exactly the same thing but I had damp in my old flat and I kept being told by people that the way to fix it is ventilation, ventilation, ventilation Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:33 pm

dizzylynn wrote:trouble is dont want him getting cold in the winter.
Damp is actually more harmful to buns than cold.

I would drill some holes but at the top of the walls so you get a flow of air through without Charlie being directly in the draught.

If it feels a bit draughty in winter you can always cover the holes over again Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:38 pm

Princess Sparky had some good ideas. If you can drill some up top under the eaves and not put any in the North wall or whichever way your nasty storms come from in the winter. There is screen tape that you can cover them with to keep out the bugs. If you use hay as bedding, it may need more frequent changing as it hangs on to dampness and molds itself. Hope you can find a remedy soon.

~holly~
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:02 pm

What have you got on the windows? I have my rex trio in a converted play house and one of the windows is just mesh with a plastic flap that I pinned over loosley to keep the rain out.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:50 am

Hi guys, Ive been leaving his door open for few hours a day, he runs in and out, (while were in) going to nip to b&q later for inch strips of wood to attatch a mesh frame to then screw it round the inside of the window leaving a inch gap at bottom to allow access to the window bar so can open and close it, the window opens from the bottom so unless it rains real heavy it wont get in to much, he doesnt seem to like sleeping on hay or bedding he unless its really freezing, so he has none under the level just his litter trays, open space around rest, top has his toys and he sleeps up there stretched out. The wee ones seem to be less so must be the way the windows are made, theres 4 windows but none o them open, there is no seal round the plastic so air probs gets in there.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:11 pm

I have just asked Mike as he is the shed expert in this houes as he insulated all our boarding shed and he said it sounds like you need some ventilation, he said you could cut out a piece of the shed and put a vent in, that's what we did on one of our shed's for our buns.

Mike said is your shed up against a wall or fence that is getting damp as it could be that.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Its up against it but has a few inches between the fence, it however doesnt have very big vents and there at the back where the fence is, a friend suggested the vent cover too cut a square out and buy a vent from b&q
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Is the house sat on the ground? If it is, hudad recommends to place it on at least a few bricks to get the structure off the ground (and possible contact with running water). That along with some ventilation holes around the eaves should help dry the house out.
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:26 pm

Its lifted up with bricks, and mesh put round so bunnies dont hide under there when there out playing, murder to get back out. It has been raining real bad while back, where the garden actually flooded, but dont think it pooled high enough up to get to the wood.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down