Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training going quite well :)

+5
NickieM
KatieB
Sparky
icedancer
Thumper2001
9 posters

Go down

Training going quite well :) Empty Training going quite well :)

Post by Thumper2001 Tue May 15, 2012 7:40 pm

We've been doing some training Smile

While they were separated, I usually took Junior down first and then Molly after. Whenever it was time for her to go back upstairs, I would refill her litter tray with fresh hay and let her get a sniff of it. They both love hay!!! I would then keep saying "bedtime" to her and edge up the stairs with her following. When she got upstairs, she was always happy to get her hay and to see Junior Thumbs Up

Now all I have to say to say to her is "bedtime" and she runs up the stairs waaay ahead of me and into the pen Happy Dance and Junior follows her Happy Dance

I need to work out a system to get them down the stairs as easily Laughing

A few weeks ago, they got big enough to eat their hay from outside the litter tray No So I've been saying "bum in" (Embarassed) and then lifting them in. They will now get into the tray when I say "bum in" when they're in the pen Happy Dance but I can't quite get them there when they're free ranging! Hmmm

If I can train them to do all this, why can't they learn to poop in the litter tray Hissy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Training going quite well :) Empty Re: Training going quite well :)

Post by icedancer Tue May 15, 2012 8:01 pm

That's brilliant! Clever bunnies.

I need to start teaching mine some phrases for when they are semi free-range, I might pick your brains when I do it Very Happy
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 pm

They are doing well - they have trained you to give them fresh hay and tuck them in when they are tired Wink

How many litter trays do they have? Each pair / group of us have at least two, and tend to keep one clean while using the other...
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue May 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Sounds like it is going BRILLIANTLY!

Have you thought of clicker training?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue May 15, 2012 9:38 pm

icedancer wrote:That's brilliant! Clever bunnies.

I need to start teaching mine some phrases for when they are semi free-range, I might pick your brains when I do it Very Happy
Thumbs Up

Sparky wrote:They are doing well - they have trained you to give them fresh hay and tuck them in when they are tired Wink

How many litter trays do they have? Each pair / group of us have at least two, and tend to keep one clean while using the other...
They have one big one. They had 2 before and it made no difference but I'll pop another one in and see if it helps. Thanks Smile

Katieb wrote:Sounds like it is going BRILLIANTLY!

Have you thought of clicker training?
It's something I keep meaning to look into but I never get round to it Embarassed I will though Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue May 15, 2012 10:01 pm

Their mum is the cleanest little lady ever. She has never done as much as a raisin or a puddle in the house and she does all her piddles in her litter tray. Hoping it won't all go to kack when Mr Sasha appears.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Wed May 16, 2012 9:35 am

I am in the process of teaching Deeva the word "bedtime" and associating it with her going into her indoor cage. When she goes in on her own-I praise her "Bedtime-Good girl Deeva" and when I put her in it "Bedtime Deeva"...I think I am slowly winning with the "NO! Deeva" and have had to combine the word "no" with a "clap of my hands" she really does stop and look then comes away from anything naughty....progress is slow but we are getting there!

Well done Molly and Junior!
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Wed May 16, 2012 11:44 am

Laughing Thats fantastic!! Very Happy And very cute Love
Where do you find the spare time to train them to do these things. I taught mine to come when i made a kissing sound, and to go back to their pen when i said din dins. Obviously they cant do the latter now that theyre are outside, but they dont come to the kissy sound now either Laughing
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed May 16, 2012 7:44 pm

NickieM wrote:Their mum is the cleanest little lady ever. She has never done as much as a raisin or a puddle in the house and she does all her piddles in her litter tray. Hoping it won't all go to kack when Mr Sasha appears.
She is really clean!! And I don't even remember seeing a litter tray in her pen at the centre, did you see one? Either way, long may it continue!!!

Maybe you could ask her to have a word with her mucky offspring? Laughing

FudgesMummy wrote:I am in the process of teaching Deeva the word "bedtime" and associating it with her going into her indoor cage. When she goes in on her own-I praise her "Bedtime-Good girl Deeva" and when I put her in it "Bedtime Deeva"...I think I am slowly winning with the "NO! Deeva" and have had to combine the word "no" with a "clap of my hands" she really does stop and look then comes away from anything naughty....progress is slow but we are getting there!

Well done Molly and Junior!
The word "no" has lost all meaning with my two. I'm sure they think it's just a random weird noise I make No but the clap of the hands fair gets their attention!

I hope Deeva picks it up Smile

marleyNfriends wrote:Laughing Thats fantastic!! Very Happy And very cute Love
Where do you find the spare time to train them to do these things. I taught mine to come when i made a kissing sound, and to go back to their pen when i said din dins. Obviously they cant do the latter now that theyre are outside, but they dont come to the kissy sound now either Laughing
I spend every evening with them. Other than having a full time job and keeping the house clean, I'm commitment free Very Happy Work uses up pretty much all my energy so I don't make plans on week nights. I'm happy chilling here with them Smile But they've actually picked it up quite quickly, they are young and impressionable Laughing

That's so cute that you trained them with the kissy sound Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu May 17, 2012 12:38 am

We have little success with No! She knows the word but chooses ignore it if it stops her eating a plant. She is eyeing up my orchid but has been told in no uncertain terms that her punishment will be dire should she so much as nibble a leaf! She doesn't like being thwarted and will put her ears back and sulk if denied anything. And thump.

She knows that Tea means food, but also has getting adept at jumping in the pen and snatching food and then legging it because she also knows that Bed follows Tea!

She now can jump onto the sofa and both armchairs and freaked out my extremely houseproud and clean friend tonight by jumping up beside her tonight within five minutes of her coming to visit and then walking over the lap. Laughing Laughing I told my friend that she wouldn't bite and she wasn't an attack rabbit.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu May 17, 2012 5:07 am

Oh, Nickie! That reminds me of something my Lady did once when she was a baby. I had a room full of friends and she was being sociable as usual and hopped on this one friend's lap and widdled. I do not know how such a tiny bunny could hold SO much urine.

Of course it was the friend that had traveled over 1000 miles to get there so her clean clothing choices were limited! Laughing She was not amused. Lady was still small enough to hold in your hand.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri May 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Oh thank goodness she didn't do that!!! Gill would have absolutely passed out!!!

Her verdict of Sasha was that, 'She's harmless!' That was as much as she could say as she isn't a pet person. She looked so uncomfortable at the beginning and then Sasha did her, 'Have you got any food!' bit. Laughing Laughing By the end of the evening she was a bit braver and actually stroked her. She still thinks I am absolutely mad.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri May 18, 2012 3:53 pm

Oh bless her. When they widdle on us I think it is meant to be a compliment. I could never get cross with a bun for something like this, but then alike everyone else on here, I adore my babies.

Hugs

JO xxx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down