Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideas for rabbit enclosure

4 posters

Go down

Ideas for rabbit enclosure Empty Ideas for rabbit enclosure

Post by Kate7590 Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Not for now but next year hopefully!

We are hoping to be moving house next year and want somewhere with a big garden for the dogs, therefore I'll be able to plan and make a big rabbit enclosure in the garden.
I have 5 buns at the moment, 3 are giants, all living together in a 8x6ft shed thats opened into the secure garden during the day...
ANYWAY-
If you had a completely clean slate and could start from new, what would you do??

I ideally want another shed, as I think they offer better accomodation than hutches [personal preference]. And id thought of a aviary...but how big?

What things would you definatly have in the shed and aviary?

Money isnt too much of an object, but obviously I cant go completely wild as we will be having huge expenses next year!

So, there you go guys...go crazy with ideas Very Happy
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Ideas for rabbit enclosure Empty Re: Ideas for rabbit enclosure

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:59 pm

With money and space no issue I would opt for a shed with a cat flap in each of the 3 sides without a door then would fix 3 aviarys to go with the cat flaps. The you can let the buns out on a rotational basis so you don't wear out the grass. The size of the garden here is about right for my 2 so that would make my recommendation of each aviary being about 20ft x 15ft. Sound feasible? Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Lol not sure I could manage 3 avairys!
I had thought of avairy being about 18ftx9ft but not sure that would be big enough...
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:45 pm

Cheryl makes a good point about allowing the grass to recover Thumbs Up

I think I would have a decent sized shed attached to a reasonably big (paved) aviary, then a flexible pipe from the aviary to a separate run on the grass. Then the run can be moved about, or you could close it off when the grass is soaking wet but they would still have access to the aviary. I'd roof the aviary and have provision to drop plastic curtains of some sort down the side walls too, for when the weather is really bad. The aviary would be plenty big enough for a nice seat which humans could sit in to feed the buns treats and things. The aviary would have tree stumps, digging boxes, hanging baskets full of noms, tunnels and things to get up on top of, possibly even a built-in shelf.

Of course, I would never live in it - can you not let them have a bedroom? Wink
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:04 pm

Sparky wrote:Cheryl makes a good point about allowing the grass to recover Thumbs Up

I think I would have a decent sized shed attached to a reasonably big (paved) aviary, then a flexible pipe from the aviary to a separate run on the grass. Then the run can be moved about, or you could close it off when the grass is soaking wet but they would still have access to the aviary. I'd roof the aviary and have provision to drop plastic curtains of some sort down the side walls too, for when the weather is really bad. The aviary would be plenty big enough for a nice seat which humans could sit in to feed the buns treats and things. The aviary would have tree stumps, digging boxes, hanging baskets full of noms, tunnels and things to get up on top of, possibly even a built-in shelf.

Of course, I would never live in it - can you not let them have a bedroom? Wink

That sounds great sparky. I hadnt thought of a roof, how silly of me. Tree stumps are a great idea too!

Im afraid I wouldnt have the buns inside, strictly outside :p
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:42 am

This is Tilly's avairy, I have added a tree stump and an apple tree branch (a chunky one) for her too.
Ideas for rabbit enclosure IMG00506-20120814-1450

I hope to get a huge tunnel which links her run to the avairy so she can get on the grass when I am in. The avairy is 3ft by 8ft, I'd like it to be wider but that would take up most of the patio, Vince's avairy is infront of this one measuring 6ft by 4ft. I love avairies, I have plastic covering on them which rolls up in warm weather, I get it from here

http://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics.php?fabric_type=358

I would have the avairy on patios slabs and have a seperate run via tunnel that you can move around too Thumbs Up

Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Such bunderful ideas! There are some creative peeps here. Wouldn't you just love to see a giant going through one of the plastic snakies? BIG wiggly bunny butts! Love
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down