Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do i litter train 2 buns in their new home?

2 posters

Go down

How do i litter train 2 buns in their new home? Empty How do i litter train 2 buns in their new home?

Post by bunnymum Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:03 pm

I've just bonded Lottie and Chester and they are living in their new shed, when they were in their seperate hutches they both used to wee/poo in a corner of the hutch on wood shavings, now they are together there is poo everywhere and they have wee'd on the lino floor in the shed. Hmmm
What is the best way to litter train them, I have 1 litter tray in the shed at the moment but it hasn't seen any action.
bunnymum
bunnymum
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

How do i litter train 2 buns in their new home? Empty Re: How do i litter train 2 buns in their new home?

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:46 pm

You need at least as many litter trays as rabbits and the bigger the better to start with. Put them in the area's they are chosing to wee in most frequently (you may need 3 or 4 trays for this) and use a substrate in them that is only used in litter trays. Adding a bundle of hay to each in a corner may help too as bunsters tend to eat and defecate at the same time.

Once they get the hang of it you can start to cut down the trays to the two they use most often.....just make sure that whatever the substrate you don't use it elsewhere as they will associate it with toileting.

It's normnal for litter training to go out the window after a bonding, just be patent and they should pick it up again.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down